Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

River of Perfume HotN

Marengo

Hi all

I posted this on the FB page and had some helpful thoughts from the community, but would like to explore this further with the combined wisdom of this forum :).

The scenario has the VC setup in a building with an RPG-2, which as I understand is clearly considered ordnance (to hit table on counter reverse etc). Therefore to fire the weapon the MMC will need to move rendering him spotted and therefore thereafter allowing the hex the counter is in to be spotted. Note the special rules in the scenario prevent the USMC from spotting the VC until they move/fire etc.

The scenario has no special rules allowing the firing of ordnance in the buildings. They, as far as I can see, do not allow access to the rooftops.

Therefore I wonder whether this is an error in the scenario setup, or just bad planning by the VC ;)?

It is quite possible that I have missed something and would welcome any advice or guidance pointing out the error.

Finally, despite this possible slight blip, I have to applaud the layout and clarity of V5.0 and the support that is given to this wonderful system. I wish all rulesets were so well put together, I'm sure it's not perfect but nothing in life is and this comes pretty damn close to my mind!

cheers
John

Tom Proudfoot

Digital Designer
He's probably waiting to Close Assault an adjacent vehicle, but didn't get the memo that none are going to arrive. :p

Barthheart

Staff member
Hi all
….Therefore to fire the weapon the MMC will need to move rendering him spotted and therefore thereafter allowing the hex the counter is in to be spotted. Note the special rules in the scenario prevent the USMC from spotting the VC until they move/fire etc....

Pretty sure that this special rule just means that the USMC units just can't make spotting attempts on VC units. So if a VC unit moves or fires he's spotted as per normal rules. But in the Admin phase at the end of a turn the VC units Moved or Fired marker is removed and, if in terrain with a positive TEM, will need to be spotted in the next turn by moving or firing. They are not permanently spotted for the rest of the game.
So the RPG owner can move to a better location and then shoot from there.

Marengo

Pretty sure that this special rule just means that the USMC units just can't make spotting attempts on VC units. So if a VC unit moves or fires he's spotted as per normal rules....they are not permanently spotted for the rest of the game.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Apologies, I didn't mean to imply that the unit was permanently spotted thereafter. It just seemed a little odd that, in effect, the VC have set up an ambush but in a location that denies them the use of their most destructive weapon. If it is designed this way, fair enough, I guess the narrative could be that the VC were resting etc when the USMC appeared so they weren't quite ready for them, or that simply that the local commander wanted to save his RPG for something better (as Tom suggested) and wanted to ambush with small arms / MGs. I am not suggesting that the scenario is broken, merely that the setup denying the use of the RPG from ambush is worthy of comment. :)

Barthheart

Staff member
OK, I agree that is seems odd. I haven't played that scenario in a very long time so I've forgotten most of how it's played.

The VC unit can still use their Inherent Fire Power until, as suggested, they can move to use the RPG. Not as effective as the combined IFP/RPG attack.