Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

I'm hosting Assault on Vierville (Tuesday Nights on Vassal)

Tony Bravo

If anyone is interested in learning / playing Heroes of Normandy, I'll be hosting a session of Assault on Vierville every Tuesday night at 9:00pm EST (GMT-5). The first session will take place on Tuesday, February 15th. I expect this to be an informal drop-in kind of game.

Due to the way the game is setup, I can really only play with / assist one person at a time. However if multiple users join in, they can all watch and listen as we play. I will be taking questions along the way via chat.

To play, you will need to install Vassal and the Heroes of Normandy module (see below). You will also need Skype installed so we can chat in real time (again see below).

Caveats: I'm not an expert by any means in the LNL system. I may make mistakes from time to time and I may have to reference a rule or two along the way. Also, many of the moves that we make may not be the most strategic or best moves. We're here to have fun, learn how to play a game and just kill an hour or so.

If you're interested, feel free to join in.

How do you get setup to play Heroes of Normandy online:

1) Visit the following site: http://www.vassalengine.org/download.php
2) Download and install the appropriate version for your computer
3) Download version 1.2 of Heroes of Normandy from this site: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Lock_'n_Load_Tactical:_Heroes_of_Normandy
4) Ensure you also have Skype installed - Because Vassal doesn't support audio, we use Skype to chat with one another
5) Connect with me via Skype. My username is: tabletoppingwithtony

Tony Bravo

I hate to bump the time forward by an hour, but I have an uncooperative child who isnt going to sleep. I will attempt to begin at 10:00pm EST tonight. Sorry about this

Cantatta

Well, this session didn't go off, ultimately, but maybe the next Tuesday session will be better. I did wait around for about half an hour last night, just in case.

tasmanuk

Would love to watch and learn but as it on at 2am in the UK I think I will have to continue to muddle through the scenario using the walkthrough (which is great btw)

Tony Bravo

Guys, if anyone is around in 50 minutes from the time of this posting and wants to play, I will be on Vassal and checking in on this thread.

I apologize for last week. To answer Stephane's question on what's worse than an uncooperative child? I have the answer. Two uncooperative children who somehow know their Dad just wants an hour of war gaming. I tell you, these kids are in cahoots with one another.

Canata, I'l be around tonight

Cantatta

Sorry I missed out last night, I had intended to be online. It would certainly help if we could find a way to verify participation. Part of the reason I wasn't online last night is because there was no indication that the session was going to happen until about an hour beforehand. I checked this forum thread several times yesterday. When there was no update forthcoming, I got distracted with something else after dinner and did not check again, which is my bad.

I will plan to be online next Tuesday night at the appointed time, regardless. We'll get it going eventually. ;)

For those on different time zones, would there be any interest in doing a session on the weekend, perhaps at an earlier time?

Tony Bravo

If you have the timing and are able to do so, I can wing a session tonight at 9:00pm EST and then carry on next Tuesday with either yourself again or another player.

Let me know if you are able to.

Cantatta

Right on, I am available tonight. I'll be online and ready to play at 9PM EST. Thanks for the offer!

Cantatta

Thanks for a fun game Tony, I really enjoyed it. You are a gracious and patient host. I look forward to playing more LnL.

Post mortem I realize the easy path to victory was just occupying one more building within three hexes of H7. I could have done that instead of attacking, but that would not have been nearly as epic as the finish we had. I'm still chuckling over that last melee, how appropriate your success was after so many terrible die rolls. We both cheered that die roll at the end, truly awesome.

My lesson from the game is to put a little more thought into sniper placement. I got exactly one shot with him the entire game.

Tony Bravo

Glad you enjoyed the game. I mentioned at the forefront that I was recording our session and with your permission I would post it online. I went back to look at our game and realized that while my voice was recorded and my desktop was recorded, your audio was not recorded. So it sounds like I'm just talking to myself for an hour and a bit. (got to love linux and the tinkering one must do with it......)

Cantatta

LoL. I'd be interested to watch the game again, though it would be sort of weird without both halves of the conversation. Maybe you could strip all audio and post a link so I could download it?

I started making notes as I thought over the game while skimming the rules, spotting the mistakes I made during the game. Definitely a bit rusty on the v4.1 rules, but hopefully that will be remedied with more play.

P.S. I'm not too broken up about my voice not being recorded, never cared for the way I sound anyway. :wtf:

Last edited:

Jankomatic

Yes Tony I do. I just want to watch a game, so I hope you have another opponent lined up. :)