Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Vehicle movement and facing

TerryB

Hi guys,

I've been playing LnL for a while now and I love the whole system.

However, there is just one thing that grinds my gears, and its to do with vehicle movement and facing.

From p40. right column, 3rd full paragraph:
Vehicles must always face a vertex (the corner between two sides of a hexagon). The red corner/arrow on a vehicle counter indicates the vehicle’s facing. When moving, vehicles enter one of the two hexes on either side of the vertex to which the red arrow points. Vehicles can, however, pivot within their hex. The cost is one MP per vertex turned.

This means that a vehice when it moves one hex must then spend another MP to change facing. To my mind this is wrong. If the vehicle stays in its own hex and wants to pivot then yes I agree 100% with having to spend MPs.

But vehicles dont always move in straight lines. Even a tank or a small truck has some ability to change directions as it moves forwards.

Maybe this should be amended to include a forward movement allowing at least one change of facing for free.

What do you guys think?

Cheers!
Terry

TerryB

Thanks for your opinion Stéphane. But, doesn't it feel just slightly unnatural to have to spend the extra MP?

Maybe I'm just greedy for extra MPs. :arghh:

I'm happy with the rule as is.

The 1MP for turning around about 60 degrees seems fair to me. Think when you turn your car around 60 degrees you usually have to lose some speed so imagine an AFV or a truck you'd expect its going to lose more...then include limited visibility for an AFV...maybe give jeeps and kubelwagens a 1 free vertex turn but then again no as really their extra speed factors that in?

The vehicle is probably never going in a straight line as it moves into the either of the two hexes it 'faces' anyway, it will be meandering with the road, path or best line of off road movement, there'd be many minor direction changes.

Just my opinion...

Last edited:

Jeff Lewis

As Captain Darling stated, a 60-degree pivot is enough to warrant the expenditure of a MP. For most Roads, for example, the expenditure comes into play for a significant turn and/or unless your vehicle is pivoting to fire.

You are, of course, welcome to house rule away if you like.