Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Counter Storage-- Suggestions?

Hi all--

I'm new to the LNL Tactical System and, in the process of studying the rules and playing some introductory scenarios, I've been trying to determine the best method for counter storage. I've got a handful each of WWII and Modern modules and, as a relatively new student in ASL also, I've gotten used to using the tried-and-true Plano 3701 method. I'm currently mulling two Planos for WWII-- one for units and status markers (as with ASL, I just combine all nationality squad counters with the same values in the same compartment, since it's pretty easy to parse out the one I need based on color)-- and one for vehicles/WTs. Am thinking I will do the same for the modern modules.

With all that said, would anyone else be willing to share their storage solutions? I've been trying to do some research online and have not been able to turn up many hits on this subject. As I indicate above, I have no problem consolidating counters across modules into containers if the storage solution is well organized. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Barthheart

Staff member
Well... my disorganized organization is as follows:
For all the WWII modules I own (Band of Heroes, Swift and Bold, Noville, Not One Step Back, Dark July, Heroes of the Blitzkrieg, In Defeat Defiance, and Heroes of North Africa) I have put all the counters of each country in their own set of baggies.

IE All the German MMC's from all the modules go in one baggie, all the SMC's in a separate baggie, all SW in one, all W in one, and all Vehicles in one. Do this for all the different countries, or services in countries, ie SS separate from Heer separate from Fallschirmjager.

Then all these baggies are stored in my new 3" deep HoNA box. All rules and module rules in the IDD box, scenario cards in the HotB box, all charts in the Noville box, and all maps in the BoH box.

I'm old school and don't like having external boxes, like Plano's, for storage. Zip baggies all the way... which are much better than my really old school twist tie baggies. :)

Ty Snouffer

The new 3" boxes hold up to 3 GMT trays easily. Depending on the game and your storage preference (do you want to tray markers and units or just units) counters from a core game will fit in 2-3 trays. For instance, all of the Heroes of the Nam counters fit in 3 trays. That is five sheets.

I'm not ready to combine sets. Seems counter-intuitive given we now have the deeper boxes.

Ralph Ferrari

Staff member
I was using Plano 3701s, but found they took up a lot of room and had a lot of unused space in each slot. I recently switched to Hozan containers. They are more expensive, but they take up less room and have less unused space. Although one drawback is the need to use tweezers to assist in getting the counters in and out of the slots. I have four for the LnLT System.

Noble Knights has counter trays that are larger and deeper than those by GMT and have 20 as opposed to 16 compartments. However, as their lids sit on the trays, they do not lock shut like the GMT trays so some degree of care must be taken to keep the counters secure. I store mine by nationality and the status markers in their own tray along with foxhole, bunkers, etc.

Both NK and GMT trays are high quality a reasonably priced, so it's a matter of personal choice. I hope that this is helpful.

Al

Thanks for the replies, all. I'm running a bit short on GMT trays right now, but I'll tinker around with the ones I've got and see if I can find an organizing scheme that works. Realized after reading all your posts that the Plano method might not be all that sensible, since there's not a lot of cross-play between various modules like ASL (so no need to combine different module counters in one container). I also have plenty of spare baggies from my GMT boxes, so that might be viable also. Thanks again!

Punched Nam last night and am using a GMT tray/baggie mix for that-- units/weapons/vehicles in GMT trays by nationality (one for US and allied nations and the other for PAVN/VC) and movement/fire and other large volume status counters in baggies. I think that might be the sweet spot for me, so thanks again for all the feedback!

JLPreiser

I've tried Plano boxes and really don't like them.
I use various sized baggies I get from the jewelry making aisle at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. I'll subdivide a nations counters by air/land/sea. Then break those down further by type; MMC v. SMC etc.

Hi all--

I'm new to the LNL Tactical System and, in the process of studying the rules and playing some introductory scenarios, I've been trying to determine the best method for counter storage. I've got a handful each of WWII and Modern modules and, as a relatively new student in ASL also, I've gotten used to using the tried-and-true Plano 3701 method. I'm currently mulling two Planos for WWII-- one for units and status markers (as with ASL, I just combine all nationality squad counters with the same values in the same compartment, since it's pretty easy to parse out the one I need based on color)-- and one for vehicles/WTs. Am thinking I will do the same for the modern modules.

With all that said, would anyone else be willing to share their storage solutions? I've been trying to do some research online and have not been able to turn up many hits on this subject. As I indicate above, I have no problem consolidating counters across modules into containers if the storage solution is well organized. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

joneshowarda

Are any of you using the DVG trays? They're a little deeper and will store more counters. If a game has a deep box it can sometimes take two trays, so I'll use one DVG and one GMT tray...