Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Mortars

Keith Tracton

Staff member
Hi guys!
I'm EG, B&B, D1stP, OG, TUS and both compendium proud owner but at today I cannot understand the mortars rules.
Could you please tell me how I can use mortars in game?
Thanks in advance
Cheers
Simone
Sorry for the delay in response! Let me dig up my old copy of the rules. I have the new rules for World At War 85 in my head lately. :)

Okay first of all mortars May Fire directly at Targets they can see. According to the old rules (what you are using) their damage effect is treated like like high explosive fire missions for offboard artillery, which means they cannot reduce afvs (even light skinned afvs) mortar fire can only disrupt them. And to clarify that means afv targets can't even be reduced if they're already disrupted.

Mortars may fire indirectly if the HQ of their formation, a leader, or Recon unit has a line of sight to the Target hex, and Target hex is within range of the mortar. Same restriction applies for damage to afvs as direct fire.

That's it. The confusion usually arises because in section 8.7 of the rules you are using [ onboard artillery units] the second paragraph gets ignored for mortars. The rule is just awkwardly written.

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Sorry for the delay in response! Let me dig up my old copy of the rules. I have the new rules for World At War 85 in my head lately. :)

Okay first of all mortars May Fire directly at Targets they can see. According to the old rules (what you are using) their damage effect is treated like like high explosive fire missions for offboard artillery, which means they cannot reduce afvs (even light skinned afvs) mortar fire can only disrupt them. And to clarify that means afv targets can't even be reduced if they're already disrupted.

Mortars may fire indirectly if the HQ of their formation, a leader, or Recon unit has a line of sight to the Target hex, and Target hex is within range of the mortar. Same restriction applies for damage to afvs as direct fire.

That's it. The confusion usually arises because in section 8.7 of the rules you are using [ onboard artillery units] the second paragraph gets ignored for mortars. The rule is just awkwardly written.

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
Thanks a lot for your answer!
The doubt was between B&B and TUS rules where the mortar fire is different ( deeply!!) If direct or indirect. Now I have to assume that TUS rules wins! :)
Another doubt is regarding fire range: really is without limit ( just LOS of HQ or Recon unit) when indirect? The 120mm mortar have 4km normal range or 6km range with selfpropelled munition, could be very strange use the mortars like artillery...could you please confirm that the fire range is depending only of HQ or recon LOS?
Thanks in advance, please harry up with new release, I'm very excited regarding this game( I love the mechanics and the period, I'm Italian mountain infantry officer and was in charge in the 1994 on the Italian border :)
Cheers

Keith Tracton

Staff member
Thanks a lot for your answer!
The doubt was between B&B and TUS rules where the mortar fire is different ( deeply!!) If direct or indirect. Now I have to assume that TUS rules wins! :)
Another doubt is regarding fire range: really is without limit ( just LOS of HQ or Recon unit) when indirect? The 120mm mortar have 4km normal range or 6km range with selfpropelled munition, could be very strange use the mortars like artillery...could you please confirm that the fire range is depending only of HQ or recon LOS?
Thanks in advance, please harry up with new release, I'm very excited regarding this game( I love the mechanics and the period, I'm Italian mountain infantry officer and was in charge in the 1994 on the Italian border :)
Cheers

Hi again, Simone! In the old edition there is a distinction between Mortars and Artillery, in that most artillery have an infinity symbol that takes effect when firing indirectly. Mortars do not have that symbol. The infinity symbol indicates artillery (not mortars) have unlimited range when firing indirectly. Mortars are limited to the range on the counter when firing indirectly. So to directly answer your query: indirect fire by mortars is limited by the range of the Mortar unit, not the range from the HQ/Recon spotter.

Let me know if you need further clarification. And yes, the rules are streamlined and corrected int he new edition: no more infinity symbols, the ranges are calculated out. So some artillery ranges are well over 100 hexes. But since we will have geomorphic maps, the possibilities for use at longer range increase. :)

Hi again, Simone! In the old edition there is a distinction between Mortars and Artillery, in that most artillery have an infinity symbol that takes effect when firing indirectly. Mortars do not have that symbol. The infinity symbol indicates artillery (not mortars) have unlimited range when firing indirectly. Mortars are limited to the range on the counter when firing indirectly. So to directly answer your query: indirect fire by mortars is limited by the range of the Mortar unit, not the range from the HQ/Recon spotter.

Let me know if you need further clarification. And yes, the rules are streamlined and corrected int he new edition: no more infinity symbols, the ranges are calculated out. So some artillery ranges are well over 100 hexes. But since we will have geomorphic maps, the possibilities for use at longer range increase. :)

Thanks a lot again for your time and patience! :)
Now the rules are clear, sorry for my questions but my not good English skills and the rule of play not write so good didn't help me to enjoy correctly the game!
Cheers and thanks again,
Simone