Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

YOUR NEXT MOVE...

YOUR NEXT MOVE... offers a platform that allows players to look at one small segment of an LnLT game scenario initial setup, a game in progress or a made up situation and then offer for analysis what the player considers his/her best course of action. Other players may, of course, offer their analyses as to what they would do in the same situation.

As this is meant to be a microcasmic look at a portion of a scenario, the area of a mapboard would be no larger than 8x8 hexes (or 5x5 if using X-Maps) maximum with the counters in position. Although a photo file (jpeg) of the situation offers the best method of illustration, a list of the mapsheet number, hexes and the units, along with any status counters that must be carried over

The "moment in time" is either the initial game setup or between a turns Administration Phase and the next turns Rally Phase for a game in progress and then tell us your planned strategy for the upcoming turn. Oh, and you do have Plan B, don't you?

Please let me know if you are interested in this or submit a situation with your thoughts.

Al Bisasky

Working on it guys. I'm trying to come up with a good one that you can really rip apart! In the meantime, anyone is welcome to post an example.

Thanks for support of the idea.

Al B.

TerryB

Absolutely storming idea.

It will be a great help to beginners and less experienced players too to get to grips with the tactical side of the game.

Broadsword56

v-k%20campaign%20screenshot%20scen1%20-%20sov%20setup_zpsr7638igf.png

Scenario 1 of the HotM campaign, "The Bridgehead." [The E-W road is a frozen river in this scenario).
I'm going to play Soviets vs. the AEO Germans (this will be a good test of how well the solo system attacks).
I've made my Soviets set up first.
What do you think of this defensive setup?
I started with my 12.7 mm MG team in a foxhole on a hill/forest hex (B5) to give it a nice enfilading fire along this length of the river.
1 squad, also in foxhole in forest/hill hex D5, guards the hill and secures the MG's right flank.
On the left of the map there's a single squad as an outpost to watch for river crossings farther west. If necessary it can fall back to my reserve/rally point position -- where Sgt. Gorbatov is with the remaining squad and the DP28 squad weapon in reserve.
I put the mines and wire on the flanks to slow or discourage any German efforts to go wide around my position.

Barthheart

Staff member
Love the map look. What are the victory conditions? Where is the entry for the Germans? I don't have HotM just the original stuff and it doesn't have the campaign.

Other than that, the 12.7 MG has a very restricted LOS in it's current location. It can only shoot at about 1/3 of the map.

Broadsword56

Germans set up anywhere south of the frozen river (the e-w road).
Victory conditions are really all about the hill.
In 5 turns, it's an automatic Soviet victory unless the Germans have all their units north of the frozen river and control at least one hill hex.
So as Soviets, I don't need to (and can't) defend the entire map or river line. All I need to do is deny them the hill.

Last edited:
YOUR NEXT MOVE... AMB#1
MAP 18 North = Edge (A1-N1)
Scenario Used: Carentan

Unit Setup

USA 101st AB
(F2) 1x 2-5-4, Sgt.Hill, M1919A4
(F3) 1×1-1-4 'Shaken'
(G2) 2x2-5-4, Lt.Michael
(G6) 1x2-5-4, Hero w/no special skills, M1919A4

GER 6th Fallschrimjager
(J1) 1x3-3-4, Lt.Plossn, MG34
(I3) 1x3-3-4, Cpt.Weiss, MG42

NOTES: both M1919A4's and the MG42 are on tripods.

Initiative: USA
Which GER hex is the primary target and why?
Which GER hex is your secondary target and why?
Should the USA units in (G6) fire or attempt to move to
(I6)?
Assume that if the USA controls one more building hex East of hex row (H) or takes out both GER squads they will win.

IT'S YOUR MOVE, JUMPERS...
031a84d61c8659e681370d27257e0773.jpg

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Mark Drake

Excellent idea. The old Avalon HIll house organ magazine the General used to have a contest in every issue like this,usually from whatever game was featured in that issue.

Barthheart

Staff member
Germans set up anywhere south of the frozen river (the e-w road).
Victory conditions are really all about the hill.
In 5 turns, it's an automatic Soviet victory unless the Germans have all their units north of the frozen river and control at least one hill hex.
So as Soviets, I don't need to (and can't) defend the entire map or river line. All I need to do is deny them the hill.

With your setup the Germans could setup in H column and/or west of there and then the MG and 1 Sov. squad can't shoot at them on the first turn and the foxholes are left behind if they move to get in the fight.

Maybe put the 12.7 and a foxhole in F4, Gorbatov+squad+DP28+foxhole in F5, 2 squads in E4. Then put a wire in each of F3 and G3 and mines in G4 and E3.

This gives good coverage of all the nearby river crossings and open areas next to the hill. Also makes it hard for a direct assault against the Sov. on the hill. Gorbatov can also activate everyone in one impulse if required and is close by to rally.

Broadsword56

With your setup the Germans could setup in H column and/or west of there and then the MG and 1 Sov. squad can't shoot at them on the first turn and the foxholes are left behind if they move to get in the fight.

Maybe put the 12.7 and a foxhole in F4, Gorbatov+squad+DP28+foxhole in F5, 2 squads in E4. Then put a wire in each of F3 and G3 and mines in G4 and E3.

This gives good coverage of all the nearby river crossings and open areas next to the hill. Also makes it hard for a direct assault against the Sov. on the hill. Gorbatov can also activate everyone in one impulse if required and is close by to rally.

I like your suggestion. Kind of a "blob" or all-round hedgehog defensive position. A tough nut to crack for infantry. The only downside, I think, would be with such a concentrated position it's a lot more vulnerable to German artillery. One FFE area could conceivably hit them all.