Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

HATRS Vehicle/Arty/Mortar smoke placement?

Larry27A

OK, I've looked all thru the rules (HATRS), and I cannot find rules for vehicle smoke dischargers, smoke rounds, mortar/OBA smoke availability. Where is the info, please?

Larry27A

I was originally looking at 4.1 but just downloaded 4.2.1 beta. Still don't see anything for the vehicles in particular. I know some to hit charts show "Sr." For smoke rounds I presume, but what about smoke dischargers/smoke mortars on tanks/IFVs.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
There is no such things in LnLT, except maybe per SSR (or in HoNA, which I haven,t got yet). Could you point to me an example of this Sr thing you mention as being in some to-hit charts?

Larry27A

It may not be a vehicle to-hit chart/counter. Look at 14.2.1 on p. 38 of the rules. The counter has H (HEAT symbol) and SR (at center, top, of counter).

Our M113s, M2/3, M60, M1s all had smoke grenade dischargers back in the 1980s. I'm in Reserves now and the vehicles are still equipped w/ them. Common tactic when fired on was to pop smoke and slam into reverse or drive up to a breach location, pop smoke, dump out the infantry under smoke concealment, then use the AFV for suppression. I'll work on some "house rules" and post them.

Starman

HATRS , Module Rule 7.1 Units of all Nationalities have a smoke laying capability of 2.
I take this to be all units including vehicles.

Barthheart

Staff member
HATRS , Module Rule 7.1 Units of all Nationalities have a smoke laying capability of 2.
I take this to be all units including vehicles.

That statement is specifically about MMCs. Vehicles are usually only given smoke capability by Scenario Special Rules (SSR).

Ty Snouffer

That statement is specifically about MMCs. Vehicles are usually only given smoke capability by Scenario Special Rules (SSR).

I wouldn't have thought that was specific to MMCs only. But that is what the 7.0 rule says ("Good Order MMCs.)

"Unit," in the rulebook glossary, is the game term for "any movable unit - tanks, MMCs, etc." So, inconsistent that the Modules rules would use unit.

That kind of thing drives me bonkers.

Starman

Includes Helos! But makes sense for Vehicles considering they generally have loots of smoke capability and certainly less more than MMCs and SMCs.

A dismounted platoon could be covered by an APC discharging smoke along its axis of advance.

However smoke shouldn't block fire just obscure it, however as the rules stand a unit can only discharge smoke once per turn.

Nick DelCorpo

The game prohibits smoke from anyone other then a good order MMC, and then the unit must have the capability as delineated in the nation capabilities chart. At which point you roll 1D6 and most get at or under the nations capability and you launch as smoke 1 in their hex or any of the six adjacent hexes.I think there should be availability for vehicles as most did contain smoke launchers. I would house rule that vehicles can launch smoke at the conclusion of movement once a game to reflect the large amount of short range smoke launchers. It would obscure the vehicle with a +2 to hit and a -2 to the die roll DFT? Any adds?