Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Huey Gunship Question

How many attacks may a Huey gunship make using ordnance and not MG's? I'm thinking one and done, but wasn't sure if my interpretation was correct.

Thanks!
Steve

Rydo

How many attacks may a Huey gunship make using ordnance and not MG's? I'm thinking one and done, but wasn't sure if my interpretation was correct.

Thanks!
Steve
There are two types of "slicks" in the game.

One can just use the MG ( 2* ) and is a transport chopper.

The other cant transport but have a 2x4 ordnance, so i'm quite sure it can attack two times with it and also use the MG.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
As per 19.2.8, A helicopter must fire all its weapons in the same impulse. Helicopters with both machine guns and ordnance can fire these weapons at targets in different hexes only when they are in flying mode; when hovering a chopper must fire all of its weapons at targets in the same hex.

That being said, since the Huey gunship is marked 2x, it can fire twice but in the same impulse as per 15.0 If “N x” precedes the HE-equivalent, “N” is the number of times the vehicle’s main ordnance can fire in its impulse. A vehicle that can fire its main gun more than once can fire its gun at more than one target in the same impulse but the targets must be in the same hex or an adjacent hex.

Rydo

As per 19.2.8, A helicopter must fire all its weapons in the same impulse. Helicopters with both machine guns and ordnance can fire these weapons at targets in different hexes only when they are in flying mode; when hovering a chopper must fire all of its weapons at targets in the same hex.

That being said, since the Huey gunship is marked 2x, it can fire twice but in the same impulse as per 15.0 If “N x” precedes the HE-equivalent, “N” is the number of times the vehicle’s main ordnance can fire in its impulse. A vehicle that can fire its main gun more than once can fire its gun at more than one target in the same impulse but the targets must be in the same hex or an adjacent hex.
Oh yes, at the same target in the same impulse of course! :)

Pretty powerfull those birds! ;)

I was just curious since the gunship would carry a limited amount of rockets. My uncle flew one and talked about carrying two different kinds of rockets.

I wondered if it is too powerful a weapon in the game since it can loiter and just fire rockets all game without ever running low.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Never heard any complain about it being too powerfull. They are kind of fragile

Rydo

I was just curious since the gunship would carry a limited amount of rockets. My uncle flew one and talked about carrying two different kinds of rockets.

I wondered if it is too powerful a weapon in the game since it can loiter and just fire rockets all game without ever running low.
They can be shot down easily and if i'm correct they can be attacked by small arms fire ( not remember correctly as i dont have the rules right now ).

BTW the 2x4 appears only in few scenarios ( sky soldiers and few more ) so you'not see them much.

Also they are always spotted, a pretty bad disadvantage :)

Mark Drake

How can a gunship fire its weapons in flying mode yet not be able to spot while in flying mode???
Is it firing at a HEX and not specific UNIT(S)?

Could not find an example of play in the rules for this;would like to see one if anyone cares to post it.

How can a gunship fire its weapons in flying mode yet not be able to spot while in flying mode???
Is it firing at a HEX and not specific UNIT(S)?

Could not find an example of play in the rules for this;would like to see one if anyone cares to post it.

I agree with you, Mark. Helicopters were so integral to the VN War, yet their movement/spot/fire mechanics are rather abstract. I think that the rules need to be tightened up a bit. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Best reagrds,
Al