Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

How should I make a complex map?

共工熙雲

Website
user.qzone.qq.com
I think it should not be hand-painted, that's too hard? Can I use Google Maps Import? If so, how to import?
In fact, I intend to make the "Battle of Nanjing" script in the "War of Resistance Against Japan".
13534226874015005.gif

Last edited:

john connor

You need to read the mapmaker manual, comes with the game. It's great fun making maps. You can make a tracing is the best way, and the program allows you to overlay (or underlay, in fact) a source map in order to trace, but you need to read up how to do it, I fear.

共工熙雲

Website
user.qzone.qq.com
You need to read the mapmaker manual, comes with the game. It's great fun making maps. You can make a tracing is the best way, and the program allows you to overlay (or underlay, in fact) a source map in order to trace, but you need to read up how to do it, I fear.
I am not afraid of complex or difficult,I'm just afraid there is no way.

共工熙雲

Website
user.qzone.qq.com
and have Map Maker Manual ?Where is the download? I did not find it.

I think it should not be hand-painted, that's too hard? Can I use Google Maps Import? If so, how to import?
In fact, I intend to make the "Battle of Nanjing" script in the "War of Resistance Against Japan".
13534226874015005.gif
Buried in my personal archives are some Orders of Battle for Japanese forces (focused on the US Campaign in the Pacific).

If you're interested, I can at least offer you some spreadsheets (Microsoft Excel 2007 Version) that detail the organizational structure of the Japanese Army in the 1944 Timeframe.

A little past the Nanking era, but a structure that can be modified to go back to the late 1930s Japanese OOB.

In the US, there is less historical information on the initial Japanese invasion of China, but if you can read English Language PDF files, there is some good information on Japanese forces in a series called "Hyperwar World War II" which converted printed documents into electronic versions.

It is US-centric, but could provide some useful information for your efforts:
http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar/PTO/index.html

共工熙雲

Website
user.qzone.qq.com
Buried in my personal archives are some Orders of Battle for Japanese forces (focused on the US Campaign in the Pacific).

If you're interested, I can at least offer you some spreadsheets (Microsoft Excel 2007 Version) that detail the organizational structure of the Japanese Army in the 1944 Timeframe.

A little past the Nanking era, but a structure that can be modified to go back to the late 1930s Japanese OOB.

In the US, there is less historical information on the initial Japanese invasion of China, but if you can read English Language PDF files, there is some good information on Japanese forces in a series called "Hyperwar World War II" which converted printed documents into electronic versions.

thanks

I've attached a Microsoft Excel Workbook I created to track the Japanese Order of Battle.

Each tab is an echelon of command, starting with squad, and working up.

The headings on rows discuss the type of soldier, and the numbers in the sheet are the quantity.

This sheet dates back to 2014. The links in the upper left are to websites I found at that time that helped me quantify the numbers contained in the sheet. If I recall correctly, those same sites had the information on the 1937 Order of Battle

Keep in mind, this is a 1944 Order of Battle, adapted after the attrition of more than 13 years of war by that time, has fewer troops assigned to formations than during the era you are replicating.

As far as your map goes, here is a link to a topographical map authored in 1945 which reflects the area of your battlemap. To use it as a bitmap underlay you have to save it and convert it to a BMP image with drawing software (I often use Microsoft Paint) and then follow the directions to create a bitmap underlay on Pg. 32 of the MapMaker manual.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/china_city_plans/txu-oclc-6566120.jpg

The most difficult part of replicating it for Command Ops 2 is tracing the contour data. Not every contour line on this map needs to be traced, because I believe you're limited on the number of contours you can portray (if I recall correctly, a total of 15 starting with the base level (e.g. the height of the river and lake) and the final reflecting your final height (the tallest peak in the region). Depending on how many total contours are required to portray all the height in a topographical map, it allows you to set a custom contour range, and trace only those lines that fit the range (e.g. if every height range is 50-meters, then you need only trace the 50-meter contours on the map -- it's explained on Pg. 26 under "Set Base Layer")

This sounds daunting at first, but I used the MapMaker instruction to trace a map for a scenario I developed to reflect the US invasion of Saipan in 1944. It started slow, but in time became pretty routine once I learned the MapMaker tools. If nothing else, using the tools to create a scenario ranging from creating the forces to drawing the map to combining it all into a scenario file helps you understand better how the game is structured and offers great insight into the information available for a "commander" to play the game.

I'm limited by only speaking English, but if you can communicate in that language and want to ask questions as you work on your scenario, you can reach me at jimcarravallah@gmail.com.

Attachments

• Japanese Infantry Organization.zip
    18.9 KB · Views: 4

共工熙雲

Website
user.qzone.qq.com
I've attached a Microsoft Excel Workbook I created to track the Japanese Order of Battle.

Each tab is an echelon of command, starting with squad, and working up.

The headings on rows discuss the type of soldier, and the numbers in the sheet are the quantity.

This sheet dates back to 2014. The links in the upper left are to websites I found at that time that helped me quantify the numbers contained in the sheet. If I recall correctly, those same sites had the information on the 1937 Order of Battle

Keep in mind, this is a 1944 Order of Battle, adapted after the attrition of more than 13 years of war by that time, has fewer troops assigned to formations than during the era you are replicating.

As far as your map goes, here is a link to a topographical map authored in 1945 which reflects the area of your battlemap. To use it as a bitmap underlay you have to save it and convert it to a BMP image with drawing software (I often use Microsoft Paint) and then follow the directions to create a bitmap underlay on Pg. 32 of the MapMaker manual.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/china_city_plans/txu-oclc-6566120.jpg

The most difficult part of replicating it for Command Ops 2 is tracing the contour data. Not every contour line on this map needs to be traced, because I believe you're limited on the number of contours you can portray (if I recall correctly, a total of 15 starting with the base level (e.g. the height of the river and lake) and the final reflecting your final height (the tallest peak in the region). Depending on how many total contours are required to portray all the height in a topographical map, it allows you to set a custom contour range, and trace only those lines that fit the range (e.g. if every height range is 50-meters, then you need only trace the 50-meter contours on the map -- it's explained on Pg. 26 under "Set Base Layer")

This sounds daunting at first, but I used the MapMaker instruction to trace a map for a scenario I developed to reflect the US invasion of Saipan in 1944. It started slow, but in time became pretty routine once I learned the MapMaker tools. If nothing else, using the tools to create a scenario ranging from creating the forces to drawing the map to combining it all into a scenario file helps you understand better how the game is structured and offers great insight into the information available for a "commander" to play the game.

I'm limited by only speaking English, but if you can communicate in that language and want to ask questions as you work on your scenario, you can reach me at jimcarravallah@gmail.com.
That's...
In fact, events like this famous in history certainly have quite a lot of information and biography. Or whatever, I'm looking for what I want. When I useless information removed. I am willing to share the information I have with you. In addition, if you have found something, please tell me. thank you for your help.
I'm not afraid of difficulties with making maps. But it does have some difficulty, I'm still trying. Wait until a certain time, it will be completed. I will not give up. Because I rely on it to promote this game.
Once,The United States had "military aid" to the Kuomintang.
So, does the United States own the army data of the then KMT troops?

That's...
In fact, events like this famous in history certainly have quite a lot of information and biography. Or whatever, I'm looking for what I want. When I useless information removed. I am willing to share the information I have with you. In addition, if you have found something, please tell me. thank you for your help.
I'm not afraid of difficulties with making maps. But it does have some difficulty, I'm still trying. Wait until a certain time, it will be completed. I will not give up. Because I rely on it to promote this game.
Once,The United States had "military aid" to the Kuomintang.
So, does the United States own the army data of the then KMT troops?
If Wikipedia is correct, the KMT troops were organized along German lines in that era.

This article shows the force structure that was planned when Germany was offering aid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_German-trained_divisions_of_the_National_Revolutionary_Army

Here is some historical information from a US-based database:

https://ww2db.com/battle_spec.php?battle_id=38

I don't believe the US started helping with the forces in China until well after the Second Battle of Nanjing. At that time, the US was recovering from The Great Depression with a heavy focus on internal spending. In parallel, though there was an air of danger in the world from both Japan and Germany, there was a significant amount of argument against US involvement in overseas conflicts. It wasn't until 1940 that the US made its first effort to help Britain with the "loan" of combat ships to protect convoys in the Atlantic Ocean.

The heavy US involvement with China didn't start until 1941.

I'll see if there's anything available in the US military training sites, but my guess is the best information, particularly as it relates to the forces involved, will have to be from Japan. My guess is China's information could be compromised because of the contention that was going on between Mao Zedong and Chiang Kai Shek in that era.