Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Question on how many Resource Cards played when gaining Initiative and Executing a Strategy

John Boone

7.2 States a player plays a Resource Card to either play the event or move units on the map.
7.3 States what one can play a Resource Card for, but it does not list movement as one of the possibilities.

If I play a card to gain the Initiative, do I have to play another RC to move units during that Execute Strategy Round?

If I play a card to gain the Initiative, can I fire off the Event on the card I just played during that Execute Strategy Round?

I am confused because the example on page 12 of Turn 1's Strategy Phase does not show the player expending any more cards during the phase to execute a strategy one they have won the Initiative.

DICK BOYES

7.2 States a player plays a Resource Card to either play the event or move units on the map.
7.3 States what one can play a Resource Card for, but it does not list movement as one of the possibilities.

If I play a card to gain the Initiative, do I have to play another RC to move units during that Execute Strategy Round?

If I play a card to gain the Initiative, can I fire off the Event on the card I just played during that Execute Strategy Round?

I am confused because the example on page 12 of Turn 1's Strategy Phase does not show the player expending any more cards during the phase to execute a strategy one they have won the Initiative.

There are two ways to gain the initiative: play a card OR win the die roll.
Then rule 7.2 kicks in and "a player can use on of his RCs for the the Event or to move that players units on the Map."

So a player could have used two cards (one for initiative and one to allow movement) or one card by gaining the initiative from dicing and then using the card to allow units to move.

The way rules Rule 7.2 is stated the use of a card is required for an event or to move. I may be wrong.

John Boone

There are two ways to gain the initiative: play a card OR win the die roll.
Then rule 7.2 kicks in and "a player can use on of his RCs for the the Event or to move that players units on the Map."

So a player could have used two cards (one for initiative and one to allow movement) or one card by gaining the initiative from dicing and then using the card to allow units to move.

The way rules Rule 7.2 is stated the use of a card is required for an event or to move. I may be wrong.
That is how I believe it should work, but if you examine the example on page 12 the card counts do not align with that interpretation. It appears that only 1 card is used to both gain the initiative and then execute a strategy.

DICK BOYES

That is how I believe it should work, but if you examine the example on page 12 the card counts do not align with that interpretation. It appears that only 1 card is used to both gain the initiative and then execute a strategy.

So it seems rule 7.2 should read:
During one round of Strategy Execution, a player may either (1) use an RC for its Event OR (2) move units on the Map.

In the current form I think it implies a player uses an RC: (1) for an Event or (2) to move.

I think it is better to not have to burn through 2 cards just to gain the Initiative and Move. More will happen each turn if Strategies are less expensive in terms of cards.

But the example on page 12 is still a bit wonky since in step 6 it states the Allied Player has no RCs and then in step 7 it has the Allied player deciding not to use an RC.