Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

HoNA 10.8 Dust Clouds

Barthheart

Staff member
When a vehicle moves does it place a dust marker in every hex it moves through or just the last one and it's final hex?

Example: A British Honey moves 5 hexes. The first paragraph of 10.8 seems to indicate that a Dust 1 marker in placed in each of the hexes occupied by the Honey on it's move, including the first and last hex, so six Dust 1 markers.

But the paragraph in the second column of page 8, of the module rules, just below the bullet point says:
"At the end of a vehicle/MMU's movement, Assault Movement or H&R Movement, place a Dust 1 marker in the unit's hex and the last hex it occupied (moved from)."
This seems to indicate that only two Dust 1 markers are placed....?

Ralph Ferrari

Staff member
The Dust counters are only placed in the hex the vehicle currently occupies, and the hex it previously occupied (the hex it just moved from). So in your example, there are only 2 Dust counters used.

Don't have the rules in front of me, but I think in the first paragraph it states that the dust marker is placed in the hex that it previously occupied, singular, not hexes. Hope that makes sense.

Nick DelCorpo

i read every hex as well, and play that way, although at the end of the movement only the last two are held over until the next impulse, the hex currently occupied and the one previously occupied. This allows vehicles to create dust screens for advancing infantry.

Jeff Lewis

Rule as written: "When a vehicle or Motorcycle MU (MMU) enters a Sand hex, it creates a Dust Cloud in the hex it currently occupies and also in the hex it previously occupied if that hex is also a Sand hex." Currently occupies and previous are two hexes. It even has "the hex it previously occupied" not all hexes. The hex, not all hexes. In the 2nd paragraph after the bullets: "At the end of the vehicle/MMU's movement, AM or H&R movement, place a Dust 1 marker in the unit's hex and the last hex is occupied (move from)." Thus it's about a 100 meters of cloud. You can stir up quite a screen with a few vehicles. It's a good tactic, though you have to weigh the extra MP into the bargain.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
my question is what comes first , the dust or the OP fire?

The dust would come first, considering the following sequence when moving units trigger an Event, are subjected to OF, or move adjacent to enemy units and such:

1. Unit(s) enters a hex.
2. Resolve any Fire for Effect or Mines attacks.
3. Possible Event(s) is triggered.
4. All possible OF is conducted.
5. If unit(s) is still in Good Order, proceed with its next action (auto-spotting adjacent unit(s), moving, firing if AM, etc.).

Between step 1 and step 2 IMO

Jeff Lewis

The dust would come first, considering the following sequence when moving units trigger an Event, are subjected to OF, or move adjacent to enemy units and such:

1. Unit(s) enters a hex.
2. Resolve any Fire for Effect or Mines attacks.
3. Possible Event(s) is triggered.
4. All possible OF is conducted.
5. If unit(s) is still in Good Order, proceed with its next action (auto-spotting adjacent unit(s), moving, firing if AM, etc.).

Between step 1 and step 2 IMO
The Dust comes with the vehicle. OP Fire through the vehicle's covered arc isn't effected (2nd Bullet Point).

Nick DelCorpo

but it doesn't say, remove the dust markers as the vehicles moves away so there is only 2 dust markers on the board at a given time following a vehicle, which is why there was a question in the first place. As you move the singular "hex" changes. So even though it says the previous hex, they are all previous hex(s) as you move through. The clarification Jeff gives solves all :)

TerryB

and i'm I crazy or does bullet point 4 says"All Possible OF (Opportunity Fire) is conducted.?
No, you're not crazy...
5.3 ...Moving unit(s) cannot be attacked more than once per MP (my bold) expended in the hex unless attacked by SWs with a to-hit table on the back of their counter, WTs, or vehicles that are stacked with the units that first fired.
Moving unit(s) cannot be attacked more than once per MP expended in the hex unless attacked by SWs with a
to-hit table on the back of their counter, WTs, or vehicles that are stacked with the units that first fired.
That means for every MP you spend to get into a hex you can get op-fired on from one enemy unit/stack. So, if you move into a hex that costs 4MPs you could get shot up quite bad :arghh:

Have fun!