Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Nations at War Vassal Modules Released

Trent Garner

Hello players and fans of the Nations at War series! We're happy to announce that new Vassal modules for all three core games have been released, including White Star Rising 2nd Edition, Desert Heat 2nd Edition and Stalin's Triumph. You can download these and other LnLP modules by going to the Lock 'n Load page on the Vassal website.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Category:Lock_N_Load_Publishing

If you find there are errors or missing counters, etc., please post here on the forums to let us know. We'll get things corrected as quickly as we can. In the meantime, good hunting!

Warren Smith

I came across some bizarre errors of counter morphing but it was seemingly random and not easily reproducible. It was with the WSR module.

A number of times, the formation counters would be drawn “upside down” and would resist being flipped properly. At one point, when a formation marker was drawn, counters on the map itself transformed into the backside graphic for the formation markers.

A lot of times, I was drawing formations manually, but using the button also seemed to be problematic.

If you’re interested I’ll see if I can recreate or duplicate the problems I was having. FWIW, I’ve seen the same problem with the original module but it’s only happened once and not nearly to the extent I saw it in the new module. We had to restart our game and ditch the new module due to the extent of the problem we experienced. Maybe I’m doing something “wrong” but can’t imagine what.

Warren

Trent Garner

I took a look at the WSR module. I added every possible chit to the cup, then ran them through the auto-draw mechanism 25 times. I also ran through all of them manually 25 times. During one auto-draw sequence, I saw a couple of the German chits get placed in the German chit pile, but they were offset from the rest, as though the pile was expanded (it wasn't). However, when I clicked on the pile, everything returned to normal. I only saw this one time and could not recreate it.

To be fair, I did not do any testing while connected to an opponent over a LAN or the Internet. After my 'single player' testing failed to produce anything significant, my thinking switched to the Vassal software, perhaps it's a synch issue between clients? Just guessing, of course.

My next plan is to load up the original module and repeat my testing and see if I notice anything like you describe. Perhaps I can get a friend to bring his laptop to my place so we can do some testing over a LAN, followed up by testing over the Internet when he returns home.

Trent Garner

Hello Warren. After trying to find this bug, I am unable to recreate what you described. Since I am not having this problem with the module on my computer, I decided to refresh the download file on the Vassal website using a copy of my current module. If you and your opponent are willing, could you download the v1.1 module from the Vassal website again and test it?

Warren Smith

Hi Trent,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to this. Also sorry to put you through all that work. I have seen similar minor errors of the same nature in the old module, but nothing as extensive as happened that one time. I do have a saved log where a similar problem occurs in the old version of the module if you'd like that to see if it does the same thing for you. It's definitely hit or miss and almost impossible to replicate, so perhaps it is a vassal thing. If that log I've got the latest version of vassal so perhaps it was something to do with that. We only used it pbem, not live.

Anyway, we've just started a new game with the old module. When we complete it, we'll try again with the new module and let you know if any funny business happens.

Again, sorry to cause all that testing for seemingly no result. Thanks.

crak

Hi. Thank you for the modules. I noticed two problems with the Stalin's Triumph module today.

There were only two end turn markers in the window with the chit cup. The scenario needed three. If I tried to put another one in from the marker window, the new one would go in the space but it would stay face up instead of turning.

The Soviet 3rd Tank HQ caused an error when reduced that the graphic could not be found. I checked the countersheet and this is an HQ with a + value on the rear, not a one step HQ.

Trent Garner

Thanks for pointing these issues out, Crak, working on getting them fixed now.

First thing is adding the missing graphic for the 3rd Tank HQ, an easy fix in this case. Everything is in place, I just missed getting things linked up for this counter.

Second thing is making it so players can clone the End Turn markers in the chit cup. This feature will have to be changed in all three NaW modules, unfortunately, a minor design oversight on my part. So... here comes v1.2!

We'll let everyone know when the new version of the NaW modules are posted.

crak

Great. One more thing. In WSR I put an armored infantry marker from KG Beck down. Then right clicked and mounted them. Turned into half track fine. Then right clicked to dismount and they turned into a command chit instead of an armored infantry unit.

Trent Garner

Thanks for the feedback, Crak. After checking more closely, it turns out there were similar issues regarding the mount/dismount function with several of the counters in WSR. Not sure how or why that happened, but I spent some time this morning going over all of them, getting things to work as intended. I tested them all out in an actual game and did not see any issues... :rolleyes:

The updated WSR v1.2 module has been uploaded to the Vassal website, but may not be approved by moderators until Monday. Look for the v1.2 release date on the Vassal module page, it should be dated March 24th.