Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Making a unit to underperform

hubee0

I would like to modify my Battle of Hannut scenario. I think, that Somua S-35 units (squadrons) are too hard to beat compared to RL. I don't want to lower artificially the tank parameters, like reliability or "ronsonability".
The real problem with French tank units was they were impossible to command properly due to poor (or lack of) radio communication and overloaded tank commanders in their one man turrets. As a result, Somua S-35 was almost invincible in "one to one" scenario against any German tank. Also, S-35 tank units on static, defense positions were hard to beat. But during assault, they under-performed badly, being outmaneuvered and often encircled by weaker German tanks.
How to model that? Would it be better to set a low cohesion for a S-35 unit, or rather lower parameters of the commander. Which ones?

I would like to modify my Battle of Hannut scenario. I think, that Somua S-35 units (squadrons) are too hard to beat compared to RL. I don't want to lower artificially the tank parameters, like reliability or "ronsonability".
The real problem with French tank units was they were impossible to command properly due to poor (or lack of) radio communication and overloaded tank commanders in their one man turrets. As a result, Somua S-35 was almost invincible in "one to one" scenario against any German tank. Also, S-35 tank units on static, defense positions were hard to beat. But during assault, they under-performed badly, being outmaneuvered and often encircled by weaker German tanks.
How to model that? Would it be better to set a low cohesion for a S-35 unit, or rather lower parameters of the commander. Which ones?
It sounds like lowering both cohesion and the commander structure's abilities are reasonable.

Cohesion reflects how well individual tanks coordinate their activities to accomplish a mission assigned to the unit.

Lack of radio communication would lower both a commander's efficiency and his staff's efficiency when coordinating unit activities.