Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Modern series recommendations

I've been really enjoying the WWII games in LnLT. Before the sale ends, I wanted to dip into a modern module. What would one recommend, something that's very different from WWII and highlights the modern era rules the best? Heroes Against the Red Star seems to fit the bill, but I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Rydo

I've been really enjoying the WWII games in LnLT. Before the sale ends, I wanted to dip into a modern module. What would one recommend, something that's very different from WWII and highlights the modern era rules the best? Heroes Against the Red Star seems to fit the bill, but I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Heroes of the Nam ( HotN ) - focus more on the infantry and you have transport choppers as the attacker!

A day of Heroes ( ADoH ) - unique module in the system, heavy urban, two completely different factions, firepower and high quality vs less than militia ( for many the best Ln'L game, to me it is too ). Heavy in infantry too.

Heroes against the red star ( Hatrs ) - highest number of vehicles in a Ln'L game. Two full sheets of just vehicles. Its ww3, transport choppers, heavy tanks, ATGMs, battles from germany trought france. Even in the streets of paris. There are also E-100, king tiger and other prototype tanks. Big map and standard maps. After ADOH there is this one. I waited 8 years to beign able to get this and even if it cost it is worth it.

Heroes of the falklands ( HotF ) - this one feels more classic amongst the others. A great module with a battle ship too!

-------------------------------------

Priority should be this for you :

1 - Hatrs = Contains all, from a campaign on a single big map to more divided scenarios. 5 nationalities, almost everything modern from the Ln'L rules.

2 - ADoH = This will give you the modern feel that you're looking for but contains much fewer scenarios and its infantry only basically. You will get one single M1 Abrams and some technicals and HMMWs.

3 - HotN = Jungles, not too much vehicles, basically just the US and ARVN have tanks, the best the NVA gets are APC's and just three or four. That was how Nam was fought so we can't blame anyone. Best artworks of the whole system. I have an unpunched copy of the second edition just for that.

4 - HotF = Its modern, it contains modern stuff, but its not the one i'll get as a first modern.

5 - IG = You have to like the sci-fi theme or you'll hate it.

6 - CW = This one is completely crazy and you need an open mind to enjoy that.

-------------------------------------

That helped a lilttle bit?

Bye.

Hello Rydo,
You've been more than just a little bit helpful. Thank you very much! I've ordered your top 2 recommendations.
Best regards,
Pratik

Rydo

Hello Rydo,
You've been more than just a little bit helpful. Thank you very much! I've ordered your top 2 recommendations.
Best regards,
Pratik
Hi :)

I'm glad you found those usefull. If you'll ever get time we can organize something on vassal.

Bye!

Hi Rydo,

I was hoping you knew how to pull off PBEM LnLT…I think you pass logfiles back and forth with each impulse, with interruptions for OpFire. The ASL crowd does this pretty regularly, I believe.

The modern titles should arrive tomorrow, so I'll let you know how it goes. Really looking forward to moving from panzerfaust to ATGMs!

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Pratik, I can play a PBEM game with you if you want. It is much less time consuming that real-time, although it requires a certain commitment to, for example, play at least one impulse every day or so, to keep things going over weeks.