Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Assault move and spotting attempt

TerryB

Hi guys,

Can a unit (a tank in this case) performing AM, spot a unit in a building and then fire on it in the same impulse?

The tank finished it's movement coponent of the AM and then spotted. It seemed odd to me because the spotting attempt usually means placing an Ops complete marker, although a spotting unit can fire on the unit it's spotted in the same impulse.

The only rule reference I've found is from p52 (left hand column, 3rd parapraph after Spotting example 2):
GO units marked with Fired, Moved,Low Crawl, Ops Complete, H&R,Stealth, Assault Move or Melee marker cannot spot for other (my bold) units, but they do cause adjacent hexes to be automatically spotted (this important for cases of indirect fire (18.0).

I read this as implying that an AM could make a spotting attempt for itself. And if the unit fails the spotting attempt I presume it can no longer fire at any unit (i.e it looses the fire component of the AM).

I've just never seen spotting done in conjuntion with AM before.

Thanks for your input.
Terry

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
You can't combine spotting and AM. Spotting has to be done before your unit get an AM marker so before it actually start moving. Once you spot, your unit get an Ops complete marker and can't move anymore (but it can fire at the unit is just spotted)

TerryB

You can't combine spotting and AM. Spotting has to be done before your unit get an AM marker so before it actually start moving. Once you spot, your unit get an Ops complete marker and can't move anymore (but it can fire at the unit is just spotted)

Thanks for your reply, Stéphane. It just didn't sit right with me, and seemed to be over powerful.

Terry.