Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Making new modules/changing icons?

Hi guys,
Another question, this one having to do with possibly making new modules so that one can change (if possible) the icons or unit type names for specific scenario(s). Like hypothetically if I was doing a Waterloo 1815 scenario, I might not have the need for Armor, Self Propelled Guns and Trucks as I might for Cuirassiers, Horse Artillery and Dismountable Cavalry/Mounted Infantry. Would this be changeable or is it set in stone?

Many thanks!

Hi guys,
Another question, this one having to do with possibly making new modules so that one can change (if possible) the icons or unit type names for specific scenario(s). Like hypothetically if I was doing a Waterloo 1815 scenario, I might not have the need for Armor, Self Propelled Guns and Trucks as I might for Cuirassiers, Horse Artillery and Dismountable Cavalry/Mounted Infantry. Would this be changeable or is it set in stone?

Many thanks!
You can create your own Estabs choosing the names, available armament, and transport for units you desire.

Where you will run into trouble is with the weaponry assigned in the Estab, as the game mechanics calculate combat damage in 100-meter range increments, meaning maximum damage from such weapons as the swords or lances reach inflict maximum damage starting at 100-meters from an enemy unit -- hardly a realistic situation for Napoleonic combat. Such combat as bayonet charges or calvary attacks resulting in melee combat is not addressed well in an operational level combat model.

Ah, did not know that. That probably means more "Age of Rifles" era combats then... I'll run some tests when I can and see what happens.
Many thanks! =)

You can create your own Estabs choosing the names, available armament, and transport for units you desire.

Where you will run into trouble is with the weaponry assigned in the Estab, as the game mechanics calculate combat damage in 100-meter range increments, meaning maximum damage from such weapons as the swords or lances reach inflict maximum damage starting at 100-meters from an enemy unit -- hardly a realistic situation for Napoleonic combat. Such combat as bayonet charges or calvary attacks resulting in melee combat is not addressed well in an operational level combat model.

How about this for a work around... in the Estab file, I'll recalculate everything ten times larger and in the map maker I'll treat the map as if it's 10x bigger. Thus while the game is still calculating for 100-meter range increments... it'll actually be working with 10-meters.

How about this for a work around... in the Estab file, I'll recalculate everything ten times larger and in the map maker I'll treat the map as if it's 10x bigger. Thus while the game is still calculating for 100-meter range increments... it'll actually be working with 10-meters.
Even 10-meters is a pretty long range for a sword or lance, but it'd be interesting to see how it works to replicate close in combat.

Well sportsfans, I've been playtesting a bit. The aper seems to give one the opportunity to define weapon accuracy so I tried giving my 'Gurkhas' (been using the Beda Fomm scenario as a testbed with an additional 'cold-steel assault' fictional battalion thrown in) a 1 meter 0.9 effectiveness and a 5 meter 0.3 effectiveness with all further distance 0.0 effectiveness. Suffice to say, frontal attacks on machine gun armed troops are still yielding the expected results...

My thinking on hand-to-hand combat has been evolving somewhat. Given the 10-100 meter distances involved in the game, I'm thinking of playtesting a theory that I'm calling a "melee box". The weapon will be ranged from 1 to 30 meters and will represent the area of contact for a melee. A special type of weapon/ammo that I'll nickname "Ayo Gurkhali"/"Banzai"/"Rebel Yell"/'Cold Steel" will fire and get used up causing damage as it represents a charge. Will let y'all know how it goes.