Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Strange bug: Retreating unit marches straight through multiple enemy lines

GeoNL

I was playing the Red Devils Over Arnhem scenario (Steam version) this evening. When this weird thing happened on D3 on my final attempt to push towards the Arnhem bridge, some of my units were retreating. And (ironically) 2nd battalion HQ (Frost) was retreating...towards the enemy.. through enemy units, straight across the bridge and bending to the other side of the river. Like they were ghosts in a rapidly pace. And the Germans did nothing either. 22 men including Frost retreated right across the main bridge and the Germans were happy with it.

Strange bug.jpg

john connor

GEONL, sounds very interesting, worth looking into - it certainly shouldn't happen like that - and I'm sure Dave would look at it, but he can't if you don't have a save? You have to have at least a save from just before the behaviour, at best a recording of this point of the game. Do you know where to find the recordings? The game automatically saves your last session in the recordings folder within the main game install folder, I believe. So if you see behaviour that is worth looking into you must go in there when you close the session and save the recording in there (there's only ever 1) under a different name, so it doesn't get overwritten next time you play. Do you still have the recording from this game? If so, post it to dave@panthergames.com along with an explanation of why you're sending it and a pointer to this thread. If you haven't got the recording but have a save from some time before (so that when the game is run from the save the behaviour is reproduced) then do the same. Send it to Dave, linking to this thread and explaining things. No save, no recording, then nothing can be done. Cheers.

GeoNL

Well, no I don't have a save sadly. And having a save that shortly before the moment would have been blind luck I think. I was flabbergasted at what I saw, that when I thought about capturing the moment all I had left was making a screenshot. But I believe this issue is known? I digged in the beta changelog a while ago, and it seems connected with the retreat code and the enemy front. I am sure that this was a very rare extreme exception. Never have seen it before. All I did was give a straightforward order around the north side of the bridge to formulate an attack. A desperate attempt since I was playing badly, or so I thought. All I had gained til that point was the railbridge. The attack didn't work out because everyone started routing after too fierce resistance. Just that the HQ went to retreat by itself in the most strange way ever, the only unit. I had remembered that the HQ had 22 men left shortly before this. And after the "Road Runner" pace across the bridge they still had 22. As if the Germans "Coyote" were just as flabbergasted as me.

Edit: didn't realise about the recordings. I had already played a game after this one :/

john connor

But, for the future, GeoNL, the recording is preferable to any lucky saves and the recording is always there in the recording folder. All you have to do, when you see something odd, is leave the game and rename the recording. That way it will be saved and not overwritten next time you start. Then you can send it to Dave and assist with the process of ironing out various bugs.

There have been so many changes to the current beta build since the build you're using that it may be that this behaviour you've observed has been affected anyway. So we'll see when the patch comes out, I guess.

It's also possible, I suppose, that those two units blocking the retreat path were whittled down to a handful of exhausted men on no morale and hence were easy to get past as they cowered. Unlikely, but possible. Could have checked that if you'd had a save or recording. Did you look at the control map to see what that said about who controlled the bridge?

Well, no I don't have a save sadly. And having a save that shortly before the moment would have been blind luck I think. I was flabbergasted at what I saw, that when I thought about capturing the moment all I had left was making a screenshot. But I believe this issue is known? I digged in the beta changelog a while ago, and it seems connected with the retreat code and the enemy front. I am sure that this was a very rare extreme exception. Never have seen it before. All I did was give a straightforward order around the north side of the bridge to formulate an attack. A desperate attempt since I was playing badly, or so I thought. All I had gained til that point was the railbridge. The attack didn't work out because everyone started routing after too fierce resistance. Just that the HQ went to retreat by itself in the most strange way ever, the only unit. I had remembered that the HQ had 22 men left shortly before this. And after the "Road Runner" pace across the bridge they still had 22. As if the Germans "Coyote" were just as flabbergasted as me.

Edit: didn't realise about the recordings. I had already played a game after this one :/
Not to pile on, but I discovered this thread describing the most effective way to report a problem.

https://forums.lnlpublishing.com/p/2061