Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

FIXED 5.0.8 - Game slows down

Emir Agic

When I select HQ unit (for example HQ Bn in picture below) while in RTS mode games slows down to a crawl. Time on Controls panel is running noticeably slower and I can hardly scroll map.

It seems this only happens when selected unit is HQ. After deselecting unit, game speed is going back to normal again and scrolling is smooth. Also, I tested this on laptop and same thing occurs. I have Command Ops I installed and everything runs fine.

My configuration: Intel i5 750 2.67GHz, 8GB RAM, NVidia 770 GTX, SSD Disk, Win 7, 24" monitor.

e064qb.jpg

Thomasew

Hi,

I can confirm Emir's findings .. :)

I ran several tests/benchmarks earlier today between CO 1 and CO 2, .. using a stock scenario.

Time to complete on CO 1 averaged at 3 mins 42 secs. (HQ unit selected)
Time to complete on CO 2 averaged at 15 mins 46 secs. (HQ unit selected)

Time to complete on CO 2 ... 4 mins 50 secs ... with no unit selected !

Cheers
Tom

Ramses

Same here, Corei7, 8 gb of 4 ram. I like to speed the game up every now and then, but sometimes the minutes slow down to a trickle, getting worse when you click on a hq unit.

The game appears to run a but sluggish on the new engine.

Not complaining, just my observation.

Dmitry

I can confirm the issue on Core-i5-2500, 6GB Ram, GeForce 580 GTX

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
There is a performance hit with the new icon drawing routines and the new map overlays. These all now use the Microsoft D2D Surface drawing engine. Paul Scobell is looking into this to see how we can optimise it. Selecting units, displaying orders and tasks and command lines all slow down the game. If you want to run fast, then I would recommend you ensure no units are selected.

mga

Same issue here, i-3770k, 32gb ram, Nvidia 660ti. When an HQ unit is selected, scrolling is painfully slow.

john connor

I can confirm this. And not only in terms of the game speed, but the interface is sluggish. There's a palpable delay between clicking and response in game. I even went and rebuilt map caches etc to see if that helped. It didn't. Feels like something is hanging onto your pointer. It's a tiny delay, but noticeable.

Ramses

Started the 'Return to St Vith' scenario in both CO1 and CO2 on the same computer running on Windows 7. In CO1 it runs smooth, in CO2 the game lags when zooming (scrolling) in on the map, when giving orders and when watching the action unfold. The engine/game feels rather unstable like there is too much going on for it to handle. This is only ingame though, because in CO2 the menu runs snappier than CO1. Hope this get fixed because it is a gamestopper for me.

john connor

See pic below. This is a small scenario (Trial by Combat) and I have selected a small group of units, as shown. On FASTEST speed (at night, with hardly anything happening) the game crawls along at around 1 minute game time per 3 seconds real time on my i7, win 8.1.
I would hate to try something big, like From the Meuse to the Rhine.
Untitled 14.png

If I select nothing then it goes about 10 times faster.

Greg

All the same with me. Don't want to pile on but I am glad its not just me and all the above has been recognized and brought up.

john connor

I think we're allowed and welcome to 'pile on', Greg. What we're not allowed or welcome to do (I assume) is get annoyed. Because this is a public beta. At the moment, really, it's here to be tested rather than enjoyed.

That said, I think it should make it much clearer on the pages where you buy and download it that this is a public beta. For those who might buy it and haven't been hanging out here. Because we know what Dave has said in here we know this is a public beta and we're here to test. But it doesn't say that anywhere on the page where you buy it!!

I just tried From the Meuse to the Rhine and it's no fun to play. It's laggy and slow and painful. I agree with Ramses - the speed thing should be regarded as a show-stopper. In addition the fact that the messages tab doesn't work is really terrible in big scenarios like that, because the main way I used to use it was for clicking on the message that said reinforcements had arrived (so many arrive all at once in FTMTTR) in order to locate them.

At least that big scenario is not really playable in this iteration.

Last edited:

dinsdale

There is a performance hit with the new icon drawing routines and the new map overlays. These all now use the Microsoft D2D Surface drawing engine. Paul Scobell is looking into this to see how we can optimise it. Selecting units, displaying orders and tasks and command lines all slow down the game. If you want to run fast, then I would recommend you ensure no units are selected.
Dave,

From what I'm seeing, similar to the other reports, is there is a significantly greater slow down selecting an HQ unit to a regular unit. I haven't tried selecting no units, but the game performance is fine with all but an HQ unit.

benpark

I'm finding the game is incredibly slow, regardless of unit selection (or not being selected). Unplayable for me at this point, unfortunately.

My system is updated with latest drivers, etc with a fairly mid- high end set of specs:

Win 7Pro
3.33 GHz Xeon CPU
32 Gig RAM
ATI Radeon 7900 series 2Gig video card

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Dave,

From what I'm seeing, similar to the other reports, is there is a significantly greater slow down selecting an HQ unit to a regular unit. I haven't tried selecting no units, but the game performance is fine with all but an HQ unit.
The reason selecting a HQ is worse is because it also highlights its subordinates and this causes a redraw of their icon.

Once the flurry of activity dies down here and I can get a moment to do some serious coding again, I'll try an option where we store the drawInfo and icon for each unit and then when it's time to redraw the icon for that unit we'll determine the new drawInfo and only if its different will we do a full redraw of the icon. Otherwise we will simply blit the stored one. That should speed things up a bit. How much I don't know till I try it.

altipueri

Sorry to add, but for me too it is very slow but I play only on a laptop with Intel HD graphics 3gb 2.1ghz.

For comparison playing Manhay Crossroads on full speed a minute of game time takes 1 second with CO1 but over 1 minute with CO2 - i.e. more than real time. I guess I should have checked requirements rather than just buying on impulse. I've got plenty of CO1 scenarios still to play so I'll just lay low for a bit. Oh, mine was 5.07 but I see others are already using 5.08. Scrolling was like treacle even when the game was not running.

Ripppe

I dread to post my first post to these forums (in regards to that, sincere hello to all ladies and gents in here!) in a bug section, so let me start by giving a big thanks for Dave of this magnificent product which - I believe - is a raw diamond in a need of some polishing (but hey, that's what the betas are for).

I can concur with others in this thread, especially with benpark. I had my chance to try out the CO2 core yesterday between a hectic family life, and I had to unfortunately admit, that the game was close to unplayable. I tried the Manhay scenario, and disregarding whether I had chosen a unit the game was very... well laggy is probably the most accurate acronym. The laptop I operate is equipped with i5-2430M, 8 Gt RAM and Nvidia GT635M, so not the wildest beast out there but should still be able to handle CO (I have played the Bulge with the same laptop without any hiccups).

I have yet to test this with another laptop which has a more powerful processor.

Hopefully Dave and the team can get this sorted out!

mbar

I have yet to test this with another laptop which has a more powerful processor.

I'm running on an i7 2.4GHz with nVidia Geforce 780M and I get the same slowdown when a unit is selected. I work around this issue by pausing the game to select a unit and give it orders. Then I deselect by clicking an empty area on the map then start the game up again. So the issue isn't a question of PC and graphics power but optimization of the new features in the game engine.

john connor

Agreed. That's how I'm having to play too - pause to give orders. (Which would make it doubly nice if the spacebar worked properly)