Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

SITREP

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
SITREP 1040, 17 Apr 2015

Hi all. I have been working my way through all the data dialogs (force, task edit, task view and crossing point) and ensuring we handle all the cases properly. This has fixed a number of crashes that have occurred. One thing I did notice when testing the force data was that for multiple selections it wasn't concatenating the equipment and ammo. Well it does now - see below.
Multiple Selection Equip Data.jpg

I have still to check out the crossing point dialogs but hope to do that later today. We will put out a new build next week.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
SITREP 1215 21 Apr 2015

Well the wind is howling outside and I know you all are howling for a new build. So if I aim to get one out to you this week I need to do so today. What I have fixed for 5.0.10 are:
  1. Facing issue
  2. Icon Selection issue
  3. Group Selection issue
  4. Intel issue
  5. Keyboard Focus issue
  6. Overlays button now cycles back with right click
  7. CTD on Reattach issue
  8. New Dialog Management Interface including:
    • Removed old Main toolbar
    • Dialog buttons now on display toolbar
    • Dialog buttons for first force/task edit/task view/crossing data dialogs
    • Dialog buttons now toggle between show and dismiss
    • Added All Button to show/hide all current dialogs
    • Reduced height of task edit dialog to remove empty space
    • Force equipment tab now concatenates entire force groups equipment and supplies
Still outstanding are:
  1. HQ Holdout issue
  2. Out of Sync issue
  3. Estab Compile issue
  4. Crossing dialog needs to be thread safe
  5. Keyboard shortcuts for dialogs
Note I have fixed the Facing issue now too.

Last edited:

rjantzi

Thanks Dave. As a newbie to the CO series, (but a long time user of other games/simulations) I have to say you're setting the bar very high for developer support. Great job!

pekische

Well every hot key bar two are taken. So any hotkeys would require a Modifier key. I had intended using Alt key plus the number keys. But so far that hasn't worked. The KeyDown() code captures the Alt key but won't accept it as a modifier key for some reason that eludes me. I tried using the Control key but with mixed results. So I may have to resort to the Shift key.

Dave, I am thinking about the hotkeys. I belive it is time to remap hotkeys. Hotkeys for dialogs will be very often used I guess. More often then hotkeys for filter of onboard counters. Therefor hotkeys for dialogs should be simple (hotkeys for filter currently) and hotkeys for filter could be with modifier key.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
That maybe valid right now Pekishe but I plan eventually to implement the feature where we store the state of the dialogs in the registry, not just their position. Then when you open the dialogs will appear as you left them. When that is done I reckon there will be less need to open and close individual dialogs. I was thinking though of making a single hotkey for the All toggle button.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
SITREP 1800 Wed 29 Apr 2015

I have finished off quite a lot of work including the Crossing dialogs. These now work as they should. That was a big job. I am still working on the Plan Dialog and getting it to dynamically update when you add, delete or change orders. This has involved a bit more work than I first thought it would. I hope to finish it tomorrow. I will endeavour to get out a new build straight after that. Hopefully LNL can get this to you all by the end of the week, but it may be early next week.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
SITREP 1630 30 Apr 2015

I have spent the day sorting out the Plan Dialog. It now updates dynamically as you add and deleted tasks or when tasks change their type (eg Bombard becomes Rest after the bombardment finishes).
Plan Dialog in action.jpg

I also took the opportunity to review and overhaul the code that was inhibiting attacks from making great progress. I identified two major factors here. The first was that an assault would stop as soon as one of the guards retreated or routed. The second was that if the formation subject/hub retreated or routed no one else in the formation could generate a route. So hit the hub and stop the assault.

To address the first factor I have overhauled the code so that now if a task has the Allow Stragglers option checked then it will ignore the constraints on guards during the assault (and for other tasks too). This means that if any of the guards and /or hub retreat or rout the rest of the force will plough on. The default setting for AllowStragglers is "true" (ie it's checked by default. So if you want to play safe, then uncheck this and the force will stop if any of the guards or hub stop.

The next thing I changes was in the code that calculates routes. Previously if the force was in formation with its boss and the boss was retreating or routing then it would not generate a new route - it would just wait for the boss to recover. Now if Allow Stragglers is checked it will instead calc an independent rout to the objective.

Taken together the two measures had really improved the momentum on the offensive. It does come at some risk to assaulting units. I did see on one occasion just one company from the assault force charging headlong into the enemy. But on the whole I think it's an improvement. We'll need to monitor this.

I did not get time today to address the crash bug Daz reported with multi selections and the Force Data dialog. I do want to fix this before releasing the new build. So it will probably be tomorrow afternoon before I do that and that will mean you should get it early next week.

john connor

Brilliant, Dave. Really looking forward to trying this build now. Great stuff. Many thanks.

Peter

Daz

Excelent work Dave, and Peter for having the determination and conviction to keep plugging away at the issue :)