Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

10.6.10 Volley Fire with SW?

Stefano G.

Hello, one of my last doubts...:rolleyes:

10.6.10 Volley Fire
Soviet, Pact and PACT-allied Heavy Armor vehicle units ONLY receive a +1 to a Heavy Armor vehicle unit FP dice in a stack with another Heavy Armor vehicle of the same nation. Both units are marked Ops Complete after the Volley Fire is executed.

and from:
10.5 Support Weapons, Modifiers &
Restrictions

The Support Weapon can engage either the same target, or a different target than the unit to which it is deployed.

What happens when Volley Fire is used for a SW attack?
How does it work?
Must supporting Heavy Armor unit possess SW too?...and, if it must own SW too, in order to support a SW attack with Volley Fire , must it check for Ammo/Missile depletion after having Volley Fired?

e.g.:
Two stacked T-80s use 10.6.10 Volley Fire but ONLY firing unit (A) has ATGM SW, supporting unit (B) does not own.
"A" unit fires with its inherent AP and "B" unit contributes with Volley Fire, so increasing AP attack with a +1;
thereafter "A" unit fires its ATGM SW.
Can "B" unit, not owing any SW, contribuite again in ATGM attack by using Volley Fire?...or can Volley Fire be used ONLY for AP attacks?
I would need an explanation about it :sorry:

Thank you :)

Last edited:

Keith Tracton

Staff member
Hello, one of my last doubts...:rolleyes:

10.6.10 Volley Fire
Soviet, Pact and PACT-allied Heavy Armor vehicle units ONLY receive a +1 to a Heavy Armor vehicle unit FP dice in a stack with another Heavy Armor vehicle of the same nation. Both units are marked Ops Complete after the Volley Fire is executed.

and from:
10.5 Support Weapons, Modifiers &
Restrictions

The Support Weapon can engage either the same target, or a different target than the unit to which it is deployed.

What happens when Volley Fire is used for a SW attack?
How does it work?
Must supporting Heavy Armor unit possess SW too?...and, if it must own SW too, in order to support a SW attack with Volley Fire , must it check for Ammo/Missile depletion after having Volley Fired?

e.g.:
Two stacked T-80s use 10.6.10 Volley Fire but ONLY firing unit (A) has ATGM SW, supporting unit (B) does not own.
"A" unit fires with its inherent AP and "B" unit contributes with Volley Fire, so increasing AP attack with a +1;
thereafter "A" unit fires its ATGM SW.
Can "B" unit, not owing any SW, contribuite again in ATGM attack by using Volley Fire?...or can Volley Fire be used ONLY for AP attacks?
I would need an explanation about it :sorry:

Thank you :)

-----------------

Hi Stefano! Thanks for touching base on this topic!

The answer is that the Volley fire modifier is, alas, not used for SW attacks. :-(

The key here is that the modifier states specifically that the +1 is to "Heavy Armor vehicle unit FP"; nowhere does it mention SWs.

This is part of that "if the rules do not state that your units CAN do something, they may NOT do it."

I hate typing "not" so many times, in fact, if you ask anyone who has played one of my development projects, I am a big fan of letting the players do things rather than restricting them with rules. But in this case I CAN offer some GOOD NEWS: The ARM SW may still fire after the Volley Fire attempt. If the unit underneath (that added the +1) also has an ARM SW, it too can fire its ARM SW after the shot (adding the +1 means it is contributing to a Direct Fire attack and is performing Direct Fire to do that). Volley Fire is justify the modifier: Direct Fire is the Action, so the units involved are guided by the Direct Fire and SW Rules.

As for play balance - since someone always asks :) - and because a volley fire from two platoons plus their ATGMs ARMs is a mighty blow, know that you rarely HAVE two ARM support weapons in the same formation in the scenarios in the game, if at all. Should you design your own scenario with a plethora of ARM SWs (you will likely need more than one counter set to do that, be forewarned), be prepared for the enemy to target those units with artillery... that is what I would do... :)

Thanks again for your interest and enthusiasm! I truly appreciate it!

Starman

I am a little concerned over the ATGM assignment of ARM SW , for many formations these were the only option to kill NATO MBTs and as the T64 std was 5 ATGMs they were not rare , the qty can be dealt with by the reload process in WaW85.
I think the T80s carried more. Obviously depends on mission and other support forces. Later versions (non wire guided) would have been used for air cover.
The AT8 was loaded into the auto Leader it didnt look like the infantry missiles 300px-9М112_tank.jpg
The two halves would merge when presented to the breech.

There is a misconception that they were cumbersome missiles when in fact they were extra long rounds.