Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Advanced LnLT???

Just wanted to know if there were thoughts about expanding LnLT with more rules/details, either as a separate system or as a add-on like your solo system? Thanks!

ejwolski

I think the current ruleset is pretty awesome as is - it's what makes LnLT so approachable. I would hope future rules would be kept to a minimum (i.e. national capabilities and new features) versus expanding the current rules.

LnLT is a players game - one does not need to be a rules grognard to have fun. The level of abstraction balances perfectly well with the details of the units, terrain, and tactics.

If you want more detail, I can point you to a certain 4" binder of rules. However, that's another game altogether (and a very engaging game if you're into the details).

As for me, LnLT rocks. New players are duking it out with only a quick read of the rules. (Thumbs up for the demo kits, btw). We spend time playing and not leafing through the rules for some esoteric exception.

Hope that came off OK - not ranting but praising the system. I trust the LnLT team will keep it rocking into the future too.

I think the current ruleset is pretty awesome as is - it's what makes LnLT so approachable. I would hope future rules would be kept to a minimum (i.e. national capabilities and new features) versus expanding the current rules.

LnLT is a players game - one does not need to be a rules grognard to have fun. The level of abstraction balances perfectly well with the details of the units, terrain, and tactics.

If you want more detail, I can point you to a certain 4" binder of rules. However, that's another game altogether (and a very engaging game if you're into the details).

As for me, LnLT rocks. New players are duking it out with only a quick read of the rules. (Thumbs up for the demo kits, btw). We spend time playing and not leafing through the rules for some esoteric exception.

Hope that came off OK - not ranting but praising the system. I trust the LnLT team will keep it rocking into the future too.

Yes - I agree. I was just thinking that there are those that want to add a little more (or a lot more) to it, could, without mucking up the waters with what is already a great success. I guess that's what the house rules are for, right?

ejwolski

Yes - I agree. I was just thinking that there are those that want to add a little more (or a lot more) to it, could, without mucking up the waters with what is already a great success. I guess that's what the house rules are for, right?
Totally agree!!! I think house rules are a great tool - you can adjust complexity based on your players skills and interests. As long as the players agree, play on!

We've toyed with sniper rules - letting them move (stealthy) but losing the extra terrain bonus. Snipers do relocate in real life, but the scenarios are usually too short to realistically let them settle into a new "hide". Not letting them move tends to make them targets for a quick melee removal. Now I've lost a sniper and the enemy is under melee protection for the rest of the turn. Hence the movable sniper.

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
Hello,

Let me say right now we are NOT EVER going to take the LnLT to the realm of ASL if that was your concern. We also do not plan to add major complexity into the game. There is already a system for that, and that is not us. I am a fan of ASL and do play it, so I am not knocking that system.

Some rules can be adjusted or added to the LnLT that would not create an issue adding too much complexity. We like LnLT since it's a playable game, and you don't need to consult the rulebook every few minutes to play.

Our bottom line is to make the most playable and supported tactical series available.

David

Oooo ASL been there done that, a mate has every module and a plethora of rules in selection of several binders...oh man! Also to be honest I don't believe for all the rules it's totally 'realistic' anyway...

The one thing I would like to see for LNL is more campaigns with linked scenarios :)...

No LnL is the path I follow grasshopper...now just try to snatch this pebble from my palm...

ejwolski

Oooo ASL been there done that, a mate has every module and a plethora of rules in selection of several binders...oh man! Also to be honest I don't believe for all the rules it's totally 'realistic' anyway...

The one thing I would like to see for LNL is more campaigns with linked scenarios :)...

No LnL is the path I follow grasshopper...now just try to snatch this pebble from my palm...

I hear you! I loved ASL but could never find or keep players for long. The ASL Starter Kit was a huge help there but folks still felt intimidated by the "Book" and all the (unobtainable) modules. I won't badger the LNLT folks because I know they also understand the need to have modules available to get new players. I'll be happy to see the reprints/updates get stocked.

BTW - the LNLT WW2 demo is an awesome way to get someone into LNL! Enough material to really play something meaningful and get hooked. I recommend you order a copy and give it to someone over the holidays to get them gaming. Seriously!

Once I found LnL, I did some serious soul searching and sold my entire ASL collection (including ASL Annuals, Rules, Modules, HASL, etc - a whopper when packed). I made enough $ to fund plenty of LnL goodness. No regrets here!

As for campaigns with linked scenarios, I think that's a great idea. Perhaps we'll see some. I miss getting new scenarios and campaigns through Line of Fire - maybe there's hope for more in the future. I think the Bear and the Jackal was the last one published via LoF.

Once I found LnL, I did some serious soul searching and sold my entire ASL collection (including ASL Annuals, Rules, Modules, HASL, etc - a whopper when packed). I made enough $ to fund plenty of LnL goodness. No regrets here!

As for campaigns with linked scenarios, I think that's a great idea. Perhaps we'll see some. I miss getting new scenarios and campaigns through Line of Fire - maybe there's hope for more in the future. I think the Bear and the Jackal was the last one published via LoF.

Me too - I had purchased a lot of ASL stuff, all untouched, and after a year of sitting on the shelf, I just sold it all off. I too would like to see campaign designs, more scenarios, battle generator, the solo system, etc. What's not to like?