Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Coming in from the cold

hi everyone, just saying hello and would like to congratulate all on the launch. I go way back with the game but have been away for a little while....without a doubt one of the finest wargames ever developed ..... twenty years now ? I was a little concerned as the ctd frequency was a little outrageous....but the new patch seems to have sorted that!! trust a little aussie battler !. love the new interface.....I think its looking very polished. again great work.

ps....one little thing.....the Montgomery splash screen .... don't think its him , pretty sure monty didn't smoke

Thanks for the acknowledgment Dave. No idea who it is but it isn't Montgomery , he abhorred nicotine so that dart hes holding is a dead giveaway. Soon as I saw the pic it struck me odd,cant deny the likeness though. Great shot but....full of character. Maybe an appropriate grog out there could make a unit id?
cheers

The Plodder

Welcome back Hurrying Heinz. I am not a 100% sure it's Monty either but if not then whom?
I think it might be Brigadier A C Willison, Commander of 32nd Army Tank Brigade at Tobruk in 1941. The caption of the photo in Wikimedia mentions it as "The second battle of Libya. Before zero hour. The Brigadier commanding tank units in Tobruk instructing tank commanders on the operations, using a sand table for demonstration purposes. Official British Army photo No. BO 773 [BM 7241].." and this photo seems to resemble him (and the medal ribbons in both pictures seem to be the same too):

WH2Tob29a.jpg

Last edited:

dandennison84

I stumbled on the same thing by running the picture through ImageRaider.

"The second battle of Libya. Before zero hour. The Brigadier commanding tank units in Tobruk instructing tank commanders on the operations, using a sand table for demonstration purposes. Official British Army photo No. BO 773 [BM 7241]."

reckon you guys might have it. the photo clearly shows bout half present are rtr......plus the fact it just looks early war...and I would suggest the shorts suggest the desert.......anyways still a great photo.