Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Eisenbach Gap in miniature

seneffe1

For quite a while my regular gaming partner and I were looking for a way to get back into 'cold war gone hot', having gamed it (pretty unsatisfyingly) in miniature as a teenager in the 1980s when it was 'ultra-modern'. Full disclosure- I am a dyed-in-the wool miniatures gamer, and although there are quite a few miniatures systems around these days- none of them really seemed right for various reasons.

My gaming partner though is much more board game savvy and a couple of years ago picked up Eisenbach Gap, and later BnB and other 1st generation WaW games. I was hooked on the system immediately- not weighed down with tech detail but all the key system characteristics captured well, a real emphasis on battle management, and a world away from the super-gamey "I'll just buy the one compulsory platoon of motor rifles but max out on Shilkas as I can also use them as an independent unit for for tackling any ATGWs....." approach that you can get in some miniatures systems.

Loving the game system but being a complete leadhead, and always being intrigued by the concept of board/miniatures crossover, it was an obvious choice to 'miniaturise' Eisenbach/WaW.

We render the Eisenbach game board out into 3d miniature with the very nice Kallistra Hexon 4 inch hex terrain, but a custom made battle mat might also work well. Obviously kallistra can all be reconfigured for other boards or purposes. For the playing pieces, we chose to use the newly re-released 'Action 200' 1/200 scale range from Skytrex. These are big enough to identify from a distance, but they don't overwhelm the terrain, and engagement ranges look good. We play the rules without any alteration, and use scaled up versions of many of the original counters to manage the game, but we've created miniature wreck, disrupted and smoke markers for nice visual effect. We have two vehicles or troop stands for a full strength platoon, removing one if the platoon is reduced.

We play the game quite a bit and have demonstrated it at a few shows in England most recently at 'Colours 2017'. I didn't take any photos but the nice folks at Kallistra did. Here's their link if you want to take a look.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/KallistraLtd/

Also I've uploaded a few thumbnails of various other sessions.

Hopefully of interest. Would welcome any comments.

seneffe

View attachment 5574 View attachment 5575 View attachment 5576 View attachment 5577 View attachment 5578 View attachment 5581 View attachment 5582 View attachment 5574 View attachment 5575 View attachment 5576 View attachment 5577 View attachment 5578 View attachment 5580 View attachment 5581 View attachment 5582 fe

seneffe1

Oops- re-posted by mistake! Happy for this one to be deleted by someone who knows more than me!

Keith Tracton

Staff member
Niiiiice! Excellent pics, Seneffe thanks for posting!! You have the advantage in that when the new game comes out you will have no issues with maps and counters as you are already up-scaled. :)

seneffe1

Many thanks for your comments Keith. Really looking forward to the new game(s).
If you are still looking for folks to help with the new consolidated rules- proof reading etc- I would be happy to pitch in, and I'm sure my regular partner too.
Incidentally, in the course of our gaming we mused on and tinkered with a few potential supplementary rule points, some of which might work quite well. I expect you're heartily seek of home brewed wisdom of this kind, and I wouldn't be so presumptuous to publish them direct to the forum, but if you would be interested to taking a look, let me know and I can mail them to you.

seneffe