Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Fixed Wing Aircraft - How many uses?

William Gray

Hi LnL Crew,

How many times can fixed wing aircraft support be used during a scenario? Is it a single use unit, or can it return to the map for more than 1 turn (i.e. every turn in which a double is rolled)?

I understand that fixed wing aircraft can only enter a maximum of once per turn - after the first double is rolled in a turn etc. This implies they are multi-use, but it perhaps it refers to a team that has purchased multiple fixed-wing support units for use in the battle.

I guess an individual scenario may or may not specify the number of "uses", but this question comes from our use of the battle generator, so there is no scenario setup instructions to limit them (or not). i.e. A team needs to purchase the air support unit with their available points, so would the team need to purchase the support multiple times to use them more than once.

This is not exactly the same as off-board artillery, where each side is limited to the maximum number of fire-missions ("uses") as specified in the battle generator (assume a team buys OBA once (105mm / 150mm etc), and may call it up to the maximum number of times specified during battle generation).

Back to fixed-wing aircraft, we can see that there is a case for it either being single use or multi-use and the rules are open to interpretation - tantalizingly obscure! Just wondering how other groups play it. It is an expensive unit, so if it is single use it doesn't seem fair to the purchasing team (pointless really). Conversely, if multiple use then it has a chance of being a very strong element in a battle. Perhaps "chance" is the most relevant word in that sentence.

And yes, it does matter, as your NVA and VC forces have no AA capability against the slicks, so are reduced to cowering in the jungle as the F4 Phantom continues to deliver the "good news". Ask me how I know.

Cheers and all the best.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
In regular scenario, the number of Air mission you have is indicated (usually one). Can't say with Battle generator