Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

GPQ How does AI determine that an attack is below recommended strength?

Gullwing91

Hello all, it's good to be here. I have been wondering for a while now about the message I get from time to time about an attack being below recommended strength. Sometimes it has surprised me to get this when I thought I had ample forces in hand so I guess there are some complex calculations going on here, perhaps more than a straight comparison of opposing forces? The statement is clear enough as it stands but I was wondering what is going on "under the hood" so to speak. How safe is it just to ignore this if you have no reserves (I have done so before and gotten away with it) and are there any ways apart from numbers which you can use to improve the AI's opinion of your plan? One thing I have done is question whether an aggressive probe is better than an attack and that seems to have worked a couple of times. I searched for similar topics but found nothing that quite covers it.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
The message is based on the relative combat power ratio. Combat power is an amalgam of firepower times unit and commander effectiveness. The effectiveness values in turn are a product of fatigue, cohesion, supply, training, experience, etc - ie the values you see on the unit data views. As you suspected in your post, it's gets complicated. But please bear this in mind, it is only a guide. There are so many other factors that come into play such as the actual terrain, visibility, suppression, random chance etc.

Gullwing91

Thank you, that's helpful.A very realistic feature because you have to use things like intuition and experience to make the decision whether to go ahead or not, like RL