Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

How much control does the AI have??

I am wondering about the AI commands. Are these constant or do my commands over ride the AI's commands and for how long? I notice the units move an attack without my input. I'm wondering how much control I really have and for how long between commands. Does the AI take over after a certain time? How do I get FULL control over my units without the AI interfering?

simovitch

After your command Objective location is secured your units shouldn't be under the influence of the AI and going on the attack unless you have "attacks" toggled on, or "retake position". Your units will fire and defend themselves, but I think that's about it.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
I am wondering about the AI commands. Are these constant or do my commands over ride the AI's commands and for how long? I notice the units move an attack without my input. I'm wondering how much control I really have and for how long between commands. Does the AI take over after a certain time? How do I get FULL control over my units without the AI interfering?
That's a very loaded and interesting question. Thanks and welcome. Command Ops is not like your traditional wargame, where you have to issue orders to every unit of your side. The AI handles all the base mechanics - move, fire, deploy, resupply etc. Your role is like a real operational commanders - ie to issue orders for them to achieve objectives. Real commanders don't tell their subordinates how to do everything in minute detail, they let them manage that. They can't exercise god like control over every detail. And that's how it is in Command Ops. If you want that type of control in your wargames, then Cmd Ops is probably not going to be for you.

Having said that, there is a lot you can control. If you like you can issue orders to each and every unit. This will increase your command load and consequently increase your orders delay. But you can obviate that by turning off orders delay. When you issue an order it will run until you next issue an order to that force. If it achieves the assigned objective, like arrives at the Move destination, it will automatically defend at the objective, rather than remain vulnerable and strung out in road column. But it won't move off and do anything else. It will deploy and dig in and it will defend itself. It may call in fire support. It may retreat or rout if it suffers casualties. But these are what we refer to as "reactions" and they are automatic for all units at all times. You do not have that control just as a General can't stop his far flung companies from retreating in the face of a direct assault.

You can, however, influence these reactions. Just like a real commander you can set parameters in your orders such as the casualty threshold which can stiffen the force's resolve to suffer casualties before calling off an attack. You can call for a low rate of fire to conserve ammo etc. So if you like to look at this way, you can give directions but you can't guarantee outcomes. That's the commander's lot. Hopefully your directions are good enough to achieve the outcomes you want but if not you better have a reserve handy.

Guy Miller

when I trusted the AI to do a reasonable job, the game game really cam alive to me. I used to control everything at a Bn level, plus ART, and i did horrible my first few times playing. Plus it just makes larger (300+ units) games and long games (3+ days) unmanageable, IMHO. Now, when I can, I probably use REG attacks 80% of the time. And watching the AI combine some Panthers and some Mech Grenadiers for an assault on a tough objective is a thing of beauty. You really have to pay attention tot he commands you give it though. 90% of the time, when I notice a Bn or Reg doing something wonky, its because of the orders I gave it (ie, "quickest" vs "covered").

You can also "lose control" of units when you issue orders in a rapid fire way. The orders delay just doesn't keep up; which I think is a great feature. Also, tucked in all the features is the actual stats (force date) that will tell you how competent the unit is. And if they're fatigued, they just don't go anywhere and won't respond to your orders. I've been burnt by that. Anyway, I'm sure you know all this already.

john connor

Interesting you manage on a default, preferred order level of regiment, Guy. I've found orders given at that level are indeed a joy to behold (sometimes), but slow, and sometimes with a (too) substantial force held in reserve. I tend towards Bn as the default orders level.

Peter

Guy Miller

I guess it depends on the scenario, the leadership quality of the forces and the complexity of what you are asking them to do? Then again, maybe I'm just doing it wrong. As you can see from my AAR's, I don't have any decisive victories.