Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

FIXED 5.0.10 - Intel is messed up

Daz

Dave I think the Intel is messed up again.
I have not played enough yet to be able to confirm it, but from what I have seen so far the armour is not being spotted as such until very close range.
Up until then it is Engineers or infantry.

Also Intel on HQ units is often grossly over estimated for combat power and strength.
See here for what I suspect is the problem again:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3538371

Wiggum

Noticed that to.
I had a tank company nearly one hour engaged with a enemy Tank Destroyer Company but it was shown as Motorized Inf till the very end when my Inf got closer to them. (daylight conditions).
Distance was under 1km.

*budd*

I've noticed this too, enemy id's flipping back and forth at close range. It's not all the time but enough too notice. I'll have to pay attention to the terrain and LOS when this happens.

Daz

I can confirm, Intel is definitely messed up.
Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you crush this one mate.
I don't like playing the game when its like this :bigtears:

john connor

Bumping this as Dave hasn't replied and it seems to me like one of the most significant bugs so far discovered. Maybe he missed it in the welter of reports. Did you mail him about it, Daz?

Bullman

I seemed to have happened across a scenario where possibly this incorrect intel issue may be clearly evident. Open the Foothills of the Gods scenario called "Tanks at Platamon" and play as the Allies. Run the game and, if it runs like it did at my end, you will see a German unit head towards Panteleemon that is first given an engineer icon, then when it gets to engagement range (a 400m?) it shows an infantry icon, then it becomes another infantry type icon (one with a short vertical line passing through the center of the NATO infantry symbol). Eventually when full intel is established, it appears as a simple armored unit with just 11 tanks in it.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
In RL you get what the int guys term as "spots" which may be the sighting of X men, vehicles and guns. These are tracked over time and fused into a unit estimate. As more spots come in the estimate may change. The key thing is the reliability. If the reliability is vague or poor you can't trust or dare I say rely on it. So you should not be surprised if it varies. On the other hand if you can get me evidence that a report of good reliability and current age changes from one force type to another then we have something to investigate.

Daz

You do have something to investigate here I'm affraid Dave.
Its the same as the link in my post above in game at the moment, where armour is ID'ed, as Engineers/Infantry.
Did you change anything for CO2 that may have reversed the fix for last time?

I can go find you evidence to support the claim, but if doing so is only going to cost me time, to prove there is a problem, but not contribute directly to helping you fix the problem then I think we can skip that step.
If on the other hand if there is something I can do that will help you fix it via a save or something then I will gladly help.

Tanks should be the first things to get ID'ed not the last, as it has always been in game untill now. The sound of their engines, tracks, weaponry, and just the sheer size of them is very distinctive. A large formation you can even feel through the ground, and vibrations in the air for a fair distance, talking from experiance.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
I tracked down the cause of the problem to an errant bit of "copy and paste" I did. As a result it was not exiting after it had found an estab using the usual process and ended up in the fail safe, which is to assign an infantry estab. It now appears to be working just fine.

While I was at it I took the opportunity of lowering the report reliability percentage required to get "some reports" from 50% to 40%. This makes it more likely you will get pretty close to the actual data. We'll need to monitor this to see we don't make it too easy.

Thank you all for highlighting this issue.

Intel Now Working.jpg

pekische

Dave, I am glad to see you are solving intel issues for 5.0.10 built.

I have a question how intel works generally - is there any difference in intel reports, depending on who is the enemy watching? More exactly: is there any difference if the enemy is spotted by friendly armor company (consisted of only tanks) or if is spotted by friendly force with more sophisticated recon "tools" like infantry, jeeps, cars with radio etc.?

Last edited: