Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

LnL Tactical Campaign

Tron

Hello Everyone,

I have a bunch of new LnL games on the way and some time off in early October!

I'd like to play through a LnL campaign. Does anybody have any suggestions? Has anybody put together a campaign house rule set?

Let me know your thoughts and ideas!

Tron

I'll take a look at those for ideas. I'd like to try to do something based in September or October, like Market Garden, Guadalcanal, Invasion of Poland, etc. Hopefully the Polish supplement comes out soon :)

Otherwise, I'm considering setting up some type of campaign system which utilizes the Battle Generator and follows a company or battalion through a series of linked battles. There would be random events, replacements, overall unit moral, etc. Pretty ambitious to get done in two weeks though :)

Anybody have any other thoughts?

Tron

I checked out the campaign rules in Noville and Heroes of the Motherland. I like them and I think i'll try to apply them to a Market Garden campaign!

Mark Drake

[QUOTE/]
Otherwise, I'm considering setting up some type of campaign system which utilizes the Battle Generator and follows a company or battalion through a series of linked battles. There would be random events, replacements, overall unit moral, etc. Pretty ambitious to get done in two weeks though :)

Anybody have any other thoughts?[/QUOTE]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have seen this in Advanced Squad Leader,for that game's Solo module.
You start with a baseline company,determine its Mission,follow any Special Rules outlined in the Mission,play the scenario along with any random events that you roll for,determine winner and state of your company at the end,and see if get any replacements (or if you out of the war.)

Check this old website for some of the custom Solo ASL Missions that may give you an idea of what it looks like (be aware not all the Mission PDF's can be downloaded.)
https://web.archive.org/web/20050209181749/web.aanet.com.au/1grb/

Tron

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. During my time off I think I'm going to play through a 3 scenario campaign using my shiny new LnL Tactical Solo Box Set.

I'm going to stick with existing official scenarios and will use the following:

#1 - To the Bridge (HoN)
#2 - Hare and Hounds (Comp Vol3)
#3 - Holding Hell's Highway (HoN)

To tie it all together, I think I'm going use the campaign rules from Heroes of the Motherland.

If there is interest, I'll try to post action reports on my progress.

Broadsword56

Right now I'm trying something a little different (and it's probably not many other players' cup of tea)...

I'm using an operational game, MMP's "Panzer Battles" in its Standard Combat Series (company sized units, 500m per hex) as the campaign engine to generate battles that I might play using Heroes of the Motherland.

When an interesting battle situation presents itself, I plan to mark off the area and set it up for a battalion-sized action (using the equivalent of about 4 HotM maps). In some situations I might only play out the "tip of the spear" action as I imagine it happening in a particular campaign hex, with dierolls for weather, etc.

Since I use VASSAL for everything, it's fairly simple for me to generate my own maps as needed.

I like the idea of having more units on the map and a wider area for the AFV's to duke it out on the steppe.

Tron

Interesting idea Broadsword. I bet Command Ops 2 could be easily adapted to this!

Broadsword56

Interesting idea Broadsword. I bet Command Ops 2 could be easily adapted to this!

Actually, I've scrapped Panzer Battles as a campaign engine because (a.) it's too high a scale to work well with LnL and (b.) its too much of a simplistic beer-and-pretzels game for my taste. Instead, I'm now trying "GD'42" in The Gamers/MMP Tactical Combat Series (The Nov-Dec Soviet offensive in the Luchessa Valley as part of Operation Mars). Since it's platoon/company counters and 125 yd/hex, the translation to generated scenario setups for LnL will be much clearer.

Tron

SCREAMING EAGLES MARKET GARDEN CAMPAIGN
Alright guys, my Screamin' Eagles Market Garden Campaign is well under way! I'm using the campaign rules from HoM with two small changes. First, I amended the scenario winner's bonus unit to include one MMC, vehicle or Artillery Mission (based on the infantry heavy nature of the game). I've also added a personal counter to the game as well (based on the campaign rule in Noville). For my personal counter I selected the Airborne Scout counter from the first scenario. The campaign will consist of the following scenarios:

#1 - To the Bridge (HoN)
#2 - Hare and Hounds (Comp Vol3)
#3 - Holding Hell's Highway (HoN)

Each scenario will be worth 2 Campaign Points the Campaign Outcome Table from HoM will be used to determine results.

TO THE BRIDGE REPORT
I've played through the first scenario. There were no campaign adjustments, as my personal counter was already on the board and this is the initial scenario. The extension roll did not extend the scenario length. A random event did not come up during the game.

The American Paratroops rolled over the over the German defenders in the town, effectively dispatching them by turn 3. Then began the long journey south, which took much longer than expected. By the time the Americans got to the bridge, they did not have enough time to effectively stage an assault on the two 88 ATG and HMG positions flanking the bridge...much less take the objective. As a result, the American commander acted rash, hoping for a minor victory by taking out the weapon teams. The German HMGs tore up the Americans, though they did manage to take out one of the 88's.

Par for the course I guess, as historically the Germans blew the bridge before American's could take it.

Campaign Point Total: 0

Last edited:

Tron

HARE AND HOUNDS REPORT
Okay things are looking pretty grim for the second scenario. The Americans need to drop a unit, given the nature of the scenario I decided to drop the starting Hero Ash. The Germans brought another squad with them from the first scenario. The extension roll for the scenario ended up extending the game length one turn. A random event come up on the initial combat and resulted in Heavy Rain which was applied to the rest of the game and became a significant advantage for the Americans.

From the outset this scenario looked pretty tough for the 101st Airborne boys, I mean when a scenario has a surrender special rule you know its going to be tough. The American half squad and scout took position at the edge for the tree line and were prepared to cover the jeep's escape. The jeep tore onto the board full speed with its sights set on a quick exit (yeah right) and immediately prompted two opportunity attacks. The first had no effect, but added the Heavy Rain special event. Their confidence bolstered the jeep continued on. The second opportunity attack flat out destroyed the jeep and crew and killed Major Tom. However, the attack also brought a hero forward. Here come's Ash with the Fanatic skill! The survivors fell back into the woods back to back to defend themselves. The hero Ash made it to cover, but the half squad did not.

The rest of the scenario was a constant firefight, but the consolidated airborne troops in heavy cover proved deadly. The heavy rain also hampered the German assault. The Americans wore down the German forces and were able to advance across the map and exit, escaping certain defeat.

Historically, I don't think this one turned out well for the 101st forces. However, I have to say my dice rolling was on fire and a lot of factors went the American's way.

Campaign Point Total: 2

Last edited:

Tron

Actually, I've scrapped Panzer Battles as a campaign engine because (a.) it's too high a scale to work well with LnL and (b.) its too much of a simplistic beer-and-pretzels game for my taste. Instead, I'm now trying "GD'42" in The Gamers/MMP Tactical Combat Series (The Nov-Dec Soviet offensive in the Luchessa Valley as part of Operation Mars). Since it's platoon/company counters and 125 yd/hex, the translation to generated scenario setups for LnL will be much clearer.

Be sure to let me know how it works out for you. Pretty big commitment playing two games simultaneously (plus takes up a lot of room space). I actually kind of like the Standard Combat Series, but I see your point. Would be difficult to pull a company/platoon scale scenario off the Panzer Battles map.

Mark Drake

Am starting to work on my own set of Campaign rules,which will incorporate what I read in the older version of Noville (dont have HotM so cant comment on that module's campaign rules.)

Will be trying these out with some HotN scenarios in Hue (River of Perfume,Streets of Sorrow,and my own scenario Goodbye Lt. Diem (found at https://boardgamegeek.com/article/13105240#13105240) and another scenario of mine depicting a Marine platoon vs VC platoon vying for building control on board 2 (also at https://boardgamegeek.com/article/12860448#12860448.)

The campaign rules will have three elements:
1--Random Events: have created my own RE table for use in HotN
2--Personal Leader: first scenario you will start as either us 6-0-6 Leader (use Army counter) or as a VC Leader and ,if survive each scenario,can advance in rank (increased Morale and/or LM.) Leader progression will look like this:
USMC-->6-0-6-->6-1-6-->7-1-6-->Skill card
VC-->5-0-5-->5-1-5-->6-1-6-->Skill card

Leaders may also earn LP/lose LP (Leadership Points) during a scenario based on the following table:
EARN
A-Led MMC in elimination of enemy vehicle in combat by any means-+4 (+1 for each enemy LM eliminated)
B-Led MMC in elimination of enemy MMC/WT/SMC in Melee-+3 (+1 for each enemy LM eliminated)
C-Led MMC in elimination of enemy MMC/WT/SMC by fire combat-+2 (+1 for each enemy LM eliminated)
D-Rallied any friendly MMC/SMC-+1
E-Self Rallied-+1
F-Led MMC/SMC in capturing enemy SW-+1
(add +1 if Leader accomplished any of these tasks single-handedly)

G-won the scenario-+1
H-survived the scenario-+1

LOSE
A-Shaken -3 (per occasion)
B-MMC/WT/SMC in same Location as Leader Eliminated/Casualties -2 (per unit in same Location)
C-friendly MMC/WT/SMC in same Location Shakes/fails to Rally -1 (per unit in same Location)

Points are earned/lost during a scenario based on Leader's performance according to the EARN/LOST tables above.Players will need to keep track of points earned/lost and each Leader will have a single overall total of LP's at the end of a scenario. This number will be Positive,negative,or zero.

At end of a scenario if a Leader has at least +7 LP's he may use them to advance one grade in rank (according to rank progression listed above.) If a Leader has +9 LP remaining after a scenario he may choose instead to draw one card/chit from the Skill deck/pool. The Leader may choose only ONE of these options at scenario end.

Any remaining positive LP are recorded as starting LP for next scenario.

If a Leader has a zero or negative LP total at the end of a scenario he may neither advance in rank nor choose a Skill. Also if the Leader is not the lowest-rated Leader (according to the rank progession table ,either a USMC 6-0-6 or VC 5-0-5) and has a LP total of -5 or greater then he is demoted to next lowest rank (and the -5 is subtracted from any higher negative number. EXAMPLE: a Leader has total of -7LP at scenario end; he is demoted and -5 is subtracted out,and he will start with -2LP for next scenario.)
Any remaining negative LP are recorded as his starting LP for the next scenario (thus giving him a chance to improve his performance.) If he ends the campaign with a negative total then demoted in rank (unless lowest-ranked Leader already.If VC he is sent to "re-education camp" or if a Marine will be disciplined.)

3--MMC performance: At the end of each scenario,your side will have a choice of either:
A-improving Morale of one of your MMC (can be done maximum of two times during the campaign;record the Morale of the MMC with improved Morale.) NOTE: one MMC may have its Morale bumped up twice this way OR can improve two MMC one level each.
B-can replace one MMC from your beginning OOB ,either a half or full squad, by calling up replacements. VC will get a 1-4-3/0-3-3 and USMC will get 2-6-4/1-5-4.

Just some initial ideas,both from LNL and from Advanced Squad Leader,and some thoughts of my own. Am going to try them out in solo play first.

Broadsword56

Be sure to let me know how it works out for you. Pretty big commitment playing two games simultaneously (plus takes up a lot of room space). I actually kind of like the Standard Combat Series, but I see your point. Would be difficult to pull a company/platoon scale scenario off the Panzer Battles map.

I use VASSAL for everything, so space is never an issue!

Mark Drake

Here are the random events I use in my solo HotN games.

Attachments

• Forgotten Heroes random event tables.pdf
    55.1 KB · Views: 9

Tron

HOLDING HELL'S HIGHWAY
The campaign situation is looking up for the Americans...then I looked at the German Order of Battle for the third scenario! The German's get two Panthers and a Tiger, this will be tough. The Americans bring a unit with them from the previous scenario, I chose a full airborne squad. In addition, my personal counter (the Scout) moved to the final scenario as well. The extension roll for the scenario did not extend the game. A Heavy Rain random event come up late in the battle and resulted a significant advantage for the Americans.

The German forces chose to split their forces, with infantry and the tiger (covered by the 88 ATG) advancing down the main road in the center of town. The remaining infantry and the two panthers advanced on the right flank. The American airborne setup in the town primarily on the front line of buildings, with the foxholes setup to allow them to fall back as needed. The British armor supporting the Americans also setup in town, realizing the German Panzers were deadly at range. The main German thrust came on the American right flank and enjoyed early success by knocking out one of the British Cromwell tanks and the German Fallschimjagers advancing to hard cover. Meanwhile the Germans advanced carefully in the center of the board, with the tiger tank leading the way.

Over the next couple of turns the American's came roaring back by destroying both of the panthers! The first fell victim to a well played side shot from the 57mm ATG. The second advanced into town to flank the ATG and was surprised by a British Firefly hiding behind a stone wall. The Fallschirmjagers pushed forward, but were chewed up by the American MG fire and were never really able to advance into the town. Meanwhile, the tiger stalled while engaging strong American Airborne troops guarding the main entrance to town. The German Fallschirmjagers were unable to advance down the main road, given limited cover and strong American resistance.

The remaining German infantry on the American's right flank, spent the remainder of the game fighting for their lives as the Americans reinforced and the British Firefly advance to engage them. A light platoon of German Paratroopers were sent to reinforce the main German advance on the right flank, but arrived too late to be of much assistance. Complicating matters, the Heavy Rains began falling and severely hampered German efforts. The tiger's long range capabilities were considerably limited and the 88 ATG was effectively taken out of the game.

Under the cover of the heavy rains, the remaining German forces withdrew. Slogging off in the mud to fight another day. The American and British forces won a major victory in the scenario, not even allowing a single building in town to be taken by the Germans. Winning two out of the three scenarios resulted in a Tactical American Victory in the campaign. Hells Highway is open for the British XXX Corps to advance to their objective. Next stop...Nijmegen.

Campaign Point Total: 4
Campaign Result: Tactical American Victory

Tron

Sorry guys, a little late, but hope you enjoy the update.