Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

LnLT Play By Forum: HoN #14 Assault on Vierville

Ty Snouffer

I'd like to make an attempt at running a Play by Forum session of LnLT using the venerable Assault of Vierville from Heroes of Normandy. Forum readers can chime in with commands for, in this scenario, the Germans. I'll set up and run the Americans using the LnLT Solo system.

Not quite sure how I will choose the commands for the Germans. We'll see what the response is like. Maybe I will choose if there is an obvious consensus. Maybe by who responds first.
------------------------
SET UP

Vierville France: June 7, 1944
The French Village of Vierville straddled the road from Utah Beach to St Come du Monte . . . by the end of the day the American paratroopers had driven them out. (See Heroes of Normandy for the full write up)

Order of Battle (see set up VASSAL save for full OB)
Americans: Elements 1st Battalion, 506th PIR, 101st AB Division
Germans: Elements of 1058th Grenadier Regiment

Victory Conditions
Six Turns
To win, a side must control four Building hexes within three hexes of 15H7 at the end of the Scenario.
Note there are 7 possible hexes that meet the requirements

SSRs

All building are Level 1
Neither Side Can Generate Heroes
The 1058th enters via a side determined randomly
Occupation Event Markers are placed in hexes 15J5 & 15F5
------------------------------
See set up VASSAL save and logs here

Set up image
image.jpg

Random roll has the Germans entering from the East.
Turn 1
German Initiative by set-up
Rally Phase - No German actions. No American Actions.
Operations Phase - German Impulse

"All right Herr Kommander, what should we do?!"
(issue your orders below. No hard rules on format, but a good one might be units/action/hexes. Ex. 1-6-4-5, MG34, Koch/Double time/15O2 -15N3-15M3-15L4)

Last edited:

Rydo

Great initiative Mr. Ty!

If i'm allowed, I would move Lt.Plassman, a full squad with an mg to A3, B4, C4 and D4 with double time!

Ty Snouffer

Good thinking guys (and thanks for the orders), but the Germans are entering from the East. I placed the counters for them on the left side before I did the random entry roll.

Want to provide another order?

Ty Snouffer

Roger. Any concerns about OF in O3? J5 has LOS. Want to make sure. I'll play nice for the first few impulses until we get the cadence down.

(I'll execute whatever order I have sometime tonight - after the kiddies go to bed)

Last edited:

Barthheart

Staff member
Roger. Any concerns about OF in O3? J5 has LOS. Want to make sure. I'll play nice for the first few impulses until we get the cadence down.

(I'll execute whatever order I have sometime tonight - after the kiddies go to bed)
Really? Hmmm... then start in O2.

Ty Snouffer

TURN 1 IMPULSE 1

: Plassman and Squad advance to wood building via Doubletime.
: Medrow and squad fire on spotted stack. Plassman and MMC pass DCs. (details in log)
(in retrospect I could/should have checked for OF and/or Sniper placement for the AEO)

End of Impulse (current state image below. Lastest log here)

Start of Impulse 2. German orders?

image.png

Start of Impulse 2. German orders?

Rydo

Mmm, i fear advancing from the south with a small group could be too dangerous as the Americans still have to place a sniper...also divide forces is not good...

Herr kommandant, maybe we can move from O1 and double time with Lt. Koch, a full squad and an mg in K2.

We need a base of fire to take out Medrow and his men!

Ty Snouffer

TURN 1 IMPULSE 2

So ordered.
: Germans - Koch, 1-6-4, MG Doubletime to K2
: Americans - Sniper appears via Counter Action. NE shot on MMC in K2

Log posted.

On to Impulse 3.
Germans, what are your orders?
image.png

Barthheart

Staff member
Squad + MG34
O1 - N2 - M2 - L3. :)

Now this looks odd but hear me out. This will give us 3 fire bases with LOS to J5. And L3 can be activated by either leader.
If J5 dares to fire, he'll get a lot more back and/or get melee'd.

Our next move would be 1/2 squad to L5, more pressure on J5, more possible multi-activations, and more targets he has to choose from. Over load the defenders with targets and he has to make tough choices.

Then medic to M3 to help rally any of the less fortunate targets.

If the Germans lose the init roll next turn you can bet that J5, or maybe the sniper, will open up on K2, because, despite the hedge, they are in an open hex and auto spotted! Putting units in L3 and L5 gives him better shots, less TM, but also less valuable targets.

If the Germans win the init a first move could be to low crawl everyone in K2 to J3.

Rydo

Squad + MG34
O1 - N2 - M2 - L3. :)

Now this looks odd but hear me out. This will give us 3 fire bases with LOS to J5. And L3 can be activated by either leader.
If J5 dares to fire, he'll get a lot more back and/or get melee'd.

Our next move would be 1/2 squad to L5, more pressure on J5, more possible multi-activations, and more targets he has to choose from. Over load the defenders with targets and he has to make tough choices.

Then medic to M3 to help rally any of the less fortunate targets.

If the Germans lose the init roll next turn you can bet that J5, or maybe the sniper, will open up on K2, because, despite the hedge, they are in an open hex and auto spotted! Putting units in L3 and L5 gives him better shots, less TM, but also less valuable targets.

If the Germans win the init a first move could be to low crawl everyone in K2 to J3.

Dangerous positions but i agree with you at everything.

The half squad you want to move in L5 can spot medrow's men? As it is just right on the edge.

Medic position also good.

My initial idea was indeed to get Lt. Koch in J3 as a final position!

Too bad those Germans can't AM :(

The problem i find now is that we are attacking on one direction only, so the Americans now can just put everything against us and start an attrition game...the kind of game we can't play...we need to find a solution Barth and we need it quick...

Barthheart

Staff member
I hear you, but having the Germans attack from the East side of the map is the worst side to attack from. The West is much easier and then the North.... East is just full of suck.

If the AI doesn't move anyone this impulse I think we'll have a good chance.

Oh, and I tend to be really aggressive when I'm on the attack in this game... can make the defense force errors. :)

Rydo

I hear you, but having the Germans attack from the East side of the map is the worst side to attack from. The West is much easier and then the North.... East is just full of suck.

If the AI doesn't move anyone this impulse I think we'll have a good chance.

Oh, and I tend to be really aggressive when I'm on the attack in this game... can make the defense force errors. :)
Let's be aggressive then!

Now we have to wait for Ty's moves!

Ty Snouffer

TURN 1 IMPULSE 3

: Germans - Squad and MMC Moves to L3
: US Squad attempts and fails Smoke roll. Marked Ops Complete.

Log posted.
On to Impulse 3. Germans, what are your orders?
image.png