Lock 'n Load Tactical: Heroes of the Normandy VASSAL Module v2.1

Lock 'n Load Tactical: Heroes of the Normandy VASSAL Module v2.1

1. David Heath

David Heath Administrator
    Staff Member Support Staff

David Heath submitted a new resource:

Lock 'n Load Tactical: Heroes of the Normandy VASSAL Module - ock 'n Load Tactical: Heroes of the Normandy VASSAL Module

Read more about this resource...

Ric Walters likes this.
  2. Trent Garner

Trent Garner Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks to Gabor Venczel and Vance Strickland for all the work they did before me. We are building on the success of their previous efforts. Thanks also to Ethan Wilson for preparing all the counters (each and every one) and making them look so good. Thanks also to David Heath and Jeff Lewis for supporting the gaming community by providing the drive behind this whole enterprise. You all rock!

In the end, the new Vassal modules should really be considered a team effort. Ultimately, we're all fans contributing something to this great hobby of ours.

3. David Heath

David Heath Administrator
    Staff Member Support Staff

4. Tim Reece

Tim Reece Member

Love the vassal modules for Heroes of Normandy and Heroes of the Nam. I think I might have posted this elsewhere on this site or on FB, but I can't remember where. Anyhow, my only complain is that the maps can only be flipped 180 and not rotated 90. If we were able to rotate the maps, then we could set them up exactly how they look in the Module Rules and Scenarios book. You can still work around it by manipulating the columns/rows, but it means that the directions are skewed from how the scenario reads in the booklet. I am OCD enough that it makes it really hard to use the modules. How hard would be to add that feature?

5. Trent Garner

Trent Garner Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately, there is currently no way in Vassal to rotate maps from horizontal to vertical. The only in-game option allows us to flip them upside-down, then place additional maps above, below, or to the left and right of the first map. I am sorry the rows/columns feature is not satisfying for you and I completely understand. As the developer for the Vassal modules for LnLPublsihing, I am only able to customize module features as they currently exist within the Vassal application. However, I am not a programmer, nor am I part of the Vassal application development team. Your request would require a change to the Vassal game engine, rather than an individual module.

My suggestion in this case would be to submit your request to the Vassalengine.org website for consideration by the developers of the Vassal application.

6. Tony Costa

Tony Costa Member
    Staff Member

Lock 'n Load would need to update the Vassal modules with a second set of map graphics and menu items.
    One set as currently oriented (horizontal) and the second set rotated 90 degrees (vertical).

7. Tim Reece

Tim Reece Member

Trent,
    Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it would be something simple. I will take your advice and send a note to folks over at Vassal.

8. Tim Reece

Tim Reece Member

Tony,
    I would think that would be the easiest route. Just post 2 of each map. 1 vertical and 1 horizontal.

9. Tony Costa

Tony Costa Member
    Staff Member

Yeah thought so at first too ... but ... now thinking about what Sean and Trent wrote, rotating the image files might break the automatic hex placement and LOS tools.

10. Tim Reece

Tim Reece Member

Hmmmmmm. I guess I can see that. Bummer. I was hoping this would be something really simple. I played around on the Vassal site last night as wasn't smart enough to figure out where the best place was to contact someone who might actually see my post.

I really appreciate all the feedback I've been getting on here.

11. Trent Garner

Trent Garner Moderator
    Staff Member

While the idea of having two versions of each map is not without merit, it would require a lot of work to test and implement for all the maps in all the LnLT modules, which includes 9 core games, plus expansions and the Compendiums. Additionally, this would increase module file sizes dramatically, because the maps are invariably the largest files in these modules. Granted, this is a small concern, comparatively speaking.

To be quite honest, with plenty of new Vassal modules to work on for LnLP, a project like this would not be a priority for some time to come, in any case. Spoiler Alert : We are finishing up the Nations at War series right now. Desert Heat 2nd Edition was just released last week and Stalin's Triumph is not far away!