Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Noob - Needs help getting started

Dunnie

Hey Guys,

I am completely new to Turn Based computer War Games. My main interests fall in the WWII time frame .. but the Cold War era I find intriguing as well. Anyway ... I don't really know where to get started will all of this. There seem to be a lot of options and an overwhelming pool of games to choose from.

My question is ... Is there a typical path for starting to play these games ? Like is there a decided best game etc etc.

Thanks

D

rocketman

I think it depends on which scale you are most interested in, tactical, strategic or operational. Also on the level of knowledge you have about that era and its weapons/units. Also the amount of time you are willing to spend on a game and/or games. Bear in mind that Command Ops is not a turn based game. Have you played any WWII games so far or are you willing to start from scratch?

Dunnie

I have played rts war games before ... but a LONG time ago ... company of heroes etc.

I am the kind of guy that obsesses on a game until I have exhausted it. So I might only play one game a year. I got into more FPS war games over the years and am yearning more strategic thinking. I do love the RTS genre. I am old enough to remember the good ol Command and Conquer Days. SHiiiiii. Anyway ... any advice to a path to getting started here would be awesome ... do any of the games have enough detail to maybe teach me a thing or two I don't know about WWII. Most of my knowledge comes from Movies and Books.

TO answer your question : I am ready to start from scratch. Unless there is a better place to start... hahahaha.

I don't have a huge preference to your question about Tactical vs Stragic or Operational. I don't like to micro manage individual troops too much. Unless the game is geared towards that ... I have seen some games that require that and try to be more global in scope as well ... that is asking a bit much imho.

rocketman

Since you have background in RTS I guess Command Ops would be a good way to start since it is pausable real time. With the free game engine there are a few scenarios to try your hand at. But the game is heavy on realism so be wary of that. You also mention modern era. Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm is a good place to start. Not overly complex, but a nice mix of turn based traditional hex based war games and WEGO mechanics. For the tactical level - try Battlefront Academy. Some people are put off by the cartoonish graphics, but the AI can put up a good fight on the highest setting. Then progress to the Combat Mission series for the ultimate tactical sim IMO. Heavy learning curve though. On the iPad, Shenandoa studios have put out some decent games. I came late to Command Ops and haven't played it for long, but like it a lot since it combines most things I want in a war game.

Dunnie

Thanks ... I am ;looking for more realism .. so your advice on command ops sounds intriguing ... Im gonna give it a go.

rocketman

Great, I don't think you will regret it. There are some youtube videos (although from the old engine) and a PDF AAR that are good introductions along with the manual.

Guy Miller

Dunnie, I'm guessing that like most folks on this forum I have played many WW2 era PC games of all types. The list is extensive and some are better than others purely based on preference. Some of my favorites recently have been Schwerpunkt WWiiE, , Steel Beasts, Tigers Unleashed, HOI3, CMBNormandy and War in the East. They all offer some good stuff. But CO2 is easily my favorite as it offers exceptional gameplay interface, solid game support (patches/updates) and forum activity, historical research and realism and a orders & combat system that strikes a great balance between micro management (possible if you want it) and larger scale tactics and strategy. The dev's are spot on with WW2 knowledge and you can tell they are passionate about the game. You can get immersed easily and learn some interesting facts about WW2.

I don't think its a game for casual wargamers (Panzer Corps-sh games) and it takes some time to get used to the details of of the gameplay, but it's well worth it. For me, printing out the manual was well worth the $50. The more you know the rules and understand the nuances of the game, the more rewarding it becomes. It might be a little tough to break into CO2, but the forum is very active and will respond politely to requests for help.

Zace66

Hi there, Im in the same boat - wondering where to start as there is so much out there. What to cut my teeth on first?

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Hi guys and welcome to Cmd Ops. Right now I am working up a new intro video for CO2. It won't be ready for a few weeks yet. But in the meantime check out the intro movies we did for CO1. You can access these from our Panther Games website here:
http://www.panthergames.com/2013/12/command-ops.html#.Vx_2bv9f3BQ

Also don't hesitate to ask a question. We only bite late Tuesday afternoons and that's just passed here in Canberra. ;)

Guy Miller

agreed, the tutorial videos are a must, even if they are old. CO2 is "easy" to play, but there's a lot under the hood and you need to get those videos and read the manual (personally I printed it out). Dave, nice to hear you are updating those videos.

I would go to "Foothill of the Gods" and try out the two tactical exercises. I would play your first dozen or so scenarios from various modules by using the "Sort by: Units" option and pick the scenarios with the least amount of units. Short games with small amounts of units is the way to go at first. And don't be shy about giving your side the advantage in reinforcements either until you get used to the game.