Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Onboard indirect fire

On-Board Indirect Fire is executed during any On-Board Indirect Fire Action, by any of your active units which have a gray Special Ability triangle; are Undisrupted and not Ops Complete; and an eligible spotting unit (called a Spotter) for your firing unit has an unblocked LOS to the target instead.

In my case, my SP mortar is set up in my rear area (which seems to make sense), and as a result beyond range of any HQ. The mortar failed its command roll so it's out of command. Can it still fire, considered it is neither disrupted nor ops complete?

Also, 14.1 says that "On-board Indirect Fire is never subject to Point Blank bonuses or Long Range penalties unless permitted by scenario or
module rules. However 10.6.5 reads "Long Range Fire +1 to To-Hit (Including On-Board Indirect Fire, but NOT CAS attacks)"

Last edited:

Keith Tracton

Staff member
On-Board Indirect Fire is executed during any On-Board Indirect Fire Action, by any of your active units which have a gray Special Ability triangle; are Undisrupted and not Ops Complete; and an eligible spotting unit (called a Spotter) for your firing unit has an unblocked LOS to the target instead.

In my case, my SP mortar is set up in my rear area (which seems to make sense), and as a result beyond range of any HQ. The mortar failed its command roll so it's out of command. Can it still fire, considered it is neither disrupted nor ops complete?

Also, 14.1 says that "On-board Indirect Fire is never subject to Point Blank bonuses or Long Range penalties unless permitted by scenario or
module rules. However 10.6.5 reads "Long Range Fire +1 to To-Hit (Including On-Board Indirect Fire, but NOT CAS attacks)"

hi Pirerre!

1. You seem to have answered your own question as Command determination is before the Action step. The rule states:

Out of Command units, marked with an Out of Command marker, may not execute any Action during the upcoming Action Step of this Formation Impulse. They may however execute Opportunity Fire in an enemy Formation Impulse.

2. That should have been corrected in the latest download of the rules to say:
10.6.5 Long Range Fire
+1 To-Hit (NOT including either On-Board Indirect Fire or CAS attacks).

In any case, that is the official rule. :)

Thanks for playing and hope you are having fun! :) - Keith

Thanks Keith! So the OOC SP mortar cannot fire (unless it has a moving enemy unit in LOS, in which case it could op fire), if I understand you correctly?

Regarding the typo, I found it in rules revision 73, if it can be of any help.