Platoon Command Coming to LnLP

Discussion in 'Platoon Command' started by David Heath, Mar 19, 2016.

By David Heath on Mar 19, 2016 at 6:17 PM
  1. David Heath

David Heath Administrator
    Staff Member Support Staff

We are very proud to announce David Thompson card game design is coming to LnLP. Platoon Command you take the role of a platoon leader, guiding your platoon into combat in order to capture critical battlefield objectives. Platoon Command is a quick-playing game that uses cards for combat, command and control, fog of war, and attrition. The mission objective is to gain Objective Points by controlling areas of the battlefield. You accomplish this objective by issuing orders to your command group, three rifle squads, and specialized personnel.

Please find some sample cards and counters.

USA-Card-RiflemanA.jpg Germany-Card-Machine-GunnersB.jpg token-RiflemanA.jpg token-machinB.jpg

Arnauld VM and Cottonbaler like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Platoon Command' started by David Heath, Mar 19, 2016.

1. David Thompson
      David Thompson
      Thanks for the introduction, David. I'm very excited about working with LnLP on this game. It's been almost two years since I sent out the first prototype copies of the game to blind playtest groups. Since that time, the game has evolved quite a bit. The final product is what I would described as a great gateway game into the wargamer hobby as well as a bridge between wargaming and hobby card gaming. In the game you take the role of a platoon leader and use a deck-building mechanic to manage your platoon, deal with fog of war, and drive the action forward. Controlling objectives is done through area control.

Working with LnLP over the last year+ has been great. It's a good team of people to work with. I'm excited to see the game in publication, and very excited to know it will be top quality.

If you have any questions about the game, fire away. I'm here to answer them!
    2. Bill K
      Bill K
      Is the platoon configured the same as an Army Infantry platoon, and are you pulling your missions from doctrinal sources i.e. FM 7-8, movement to contact, crossing linear danger area, react to near ambush, etc., or is it more "theatrical" in nature? I ask because I was thinking that this might be a good learning aid for ROTC cadets.
    3. David Thompson
      David Thompson
      Bill, thanks for the question. The game is much more abstract and theatrical in nature. I did borrow from 7-10 circa 1944 for the platoon composition and basic roles for each element of the platoon. I also tried to reflect elements of squad cohesion, impact of fog of war on the platoon's communication, etc through the mechanisms and card play. However, I generally tended towards abstraction and more theatrical approaches vice simulation. I know that David Heath and the LnLP crew plan to make the rules available for free when the game is released. If you have any specific questions about any of the rules, please let me know.
      Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    4. Cottonbaler
      Cottonbaler
      David,

This sounds like an interesting system. A couple of quick questions:

Are nationalities involved or is it generic platoons going against one another?

Your reference to the 1944 FM makes it sound like this is WWII -- is this true?

How is this system different from Up Front, Frontline D-Day, and DVG's Warrior systems?

Thanks,

Steve
    5. David Thompson
      David Thompson
      Each member of the platoon is identical (an American scout is the same as a German scout, etc). However, the game is extremely asymmetric through other means. Some of that has to do with board construction and objective arrangement. The biggest impact, though, is due to the scenario-specific starting deck builds for each of the two platoons and the extra cards that are available to each force during the course of the scenario. For example, in one of the early scenarios of the game, two squads from the American platoon, consisting just of Squads leaders, riflemen, and scouts, are trying to cross terrain covered by German machine gunners and riflemen. Each player can bolster this initial disposition (essentially determining efficacy), but they don't have access to other elements of the platoon. In that regard, the differences between the platoons are not hard coded into the game, but are guided by the scenario and then determined by the players throughout the course of the game through the deck-building mechanism.

The game is WW2, and even moreso, it is based specifically on the exploits of the 30th ID during its time in France (June - August 1944).

As far as differentiating itself from other games, I'd say that is primarily done through the core deck-building mechanic. Unlike other card-driven games, Platoon Command allows you - the platoon leader - to organically build up various elements of the platoon through the deck-building process. You can also negatively impact your opponent's deck, specifically by manipulating the fog of war. Cards still drive the action of the game, with elements of the game mapping directly to the cards, but managing your deck (platoon) will be the primary key to success.
      Cottonbaler likes this.
    6. Cottonbaler
      Cottonbaler
      Thank you David, this is all very intriguing. I'm looking forward to hearing more as your final development progresses. Any idea when this might be up for pre-order?
    7. David Thompson
      David Thompson
      Not sure on the pre-order date. I know David Heath and the gang are working hard on this as we speak, doing some really great production work on it. Hopefully soon. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be hanging out here in the forums.
    8. Rogwer Nord
      Rogwer Nord
      David, Is the game playable solo, and do you use terrain cards for maps? Can it be played by more than two players? On a scale of 1-10 what is the complexity? Thanks for answering. Roger
    9. David Thompson
      David Thompson
      Roger,

The game is not playable solo (unless you take the role of both sides, of course). I specifically designed it to be a VERY asymmetric game, and the system that drives gameplay (to include the deck-building and card management) doesn't lend itself to an AI. To make that work would require a lot of programmed responses, and in the end it would just be too much of a chore.

Technically the game could be played by more than two players, but it would require some points of clarification for the initiative and suppressive fire rules. If there is interest, I could probably post variant multiplayer rules when the game is made available. It would require two copies of the game, though (or the introduction of new nationalities).

I'd rank the complexity about a 4 or so. In the rules, I use the scenario system to slowly introduce new game concepts and card types, one at a time. So there's a gradual learning curve. Regardless, even if you were to play everything out of the box, it's still not a very complex game. It's just that the combination of deck-building, card management, and tactical choices result in quite a bit of depth.
    10. David Thompson
      David Thompson
      Roger, I forgot to reply to your question about the terrain. The game uses a system of modular squares for terrain. You can see an example in this Twitter preview graphic that David and the LnLP folks put together.

The system uses squares, but in an offset configuration that has the movement benefits of hexes. Works well for making movement easy.

Platoon Command Twitter Banner copy.jpg
      Cottonbaler likes this.
    11. Yang Ping
      Yang Ping
      Hi, David, When this game will be on your pre-order list?
      Is the gameplay like a Combat Commander or just a card game?
    12. David Thompson
      David Thompson
      Yang,

The game really is a hybrid board/card game. The card-driven / deck-building (with a little hand management) mechanism is how you manage your platoon and deal with dog of war. However, the cards tie directly to counters on the modular board (the counters represent elements of the platoon, such as riflemen, scouts, and machine gunners). So the combat action (units attacking), is a combination of taking actions with cards you manage in your deck and the impact of the board on the counters.

David Heath will have to follow up on the release date. I'm not sure about that.
      Rogwer Nord likes this.
    13. David Heath
      David Heath
      We do not have a set date yet but I would say sometimes this summer.

David
    14. Captain Darling
      Captain Darling
      I like the idea of card driven games, I have several including some miniatures ones so I'll follow this.

Is the artwork style for the picture on the cards finalised in the format of the samples shown above? Looks a bit too washed out for me, doesn't strike me as spectacular and I'd think the look of the cards would be a big selling point for some people...
    15. Captain Darling
      Captain Darling
      I should have read all the topics before posting does part 4 of your design diary topic indicate that the card designs are not finalised?
    16. Trent Garner
      Trent Garner
      I really like the graphic design of this game, it looks fantastic, IMHO. It has a great palette/color scheme that is attractive and easy on the eyes. The artwork on the cards is well done, I think the pictures drawn that way are very cool.

I'm curious to see how this hybrid game system works, it sounds very interesting. All the CDGs I have played before were quite fun.
    17. David Thompson
      David Thompson
      Captain Darling, sorry - not sure how I missed your earlier question. The graphic design for the cards is up to David Heath and the crew at LnLP. I'm not sure if the artwork is final.

Trent, thanks for the feedback on the game. I'm really excited about the design too. I think anyone who is a fan of CDGs, deck-building, tactical/skirmish-level combat, and WW2 would enjoy the game.