Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Question about LOS and Object Height

Wiggum

Hi !

I'm really struggling understanding the details of Object Height and LOS and how they are linked.
The manual (5.0) is, in my opinion not very clear about that and some things seem strange.

Is the Object Height and the Height at which the Squad would be correct in this image ?
72xWV8x.png

Please look at these LOS situations (A,B,C,D):
oeLgE5T.png

(The black swirls depicts the "Shadowing")
(The building in Hex K3 is a multi-story HC building)

A: The Squad in Hex K3 is at Level 1, Object Height of the LC building in Hex K4 is Level 1.
The Squad CAN target the enemy in Hex K6 but could NOT target the enemy if he would be in Hex K5.

B: The Squad in Hex K3 is at Level 1, Object Height of the HC building in Hex K5 is Level 1.
The enemy is also in a multi-story HC building at Level 1. The Squad CAN fire on the enemy.

C: The Squad in Hex K3 is at Level 1, Object Height of the LC building in Hex K5 is Level 1.
The Squad CAN target the enemy in Hex K8 but can NOT target the enemy in Hex K7.

D: The Squad in Hex K3 is at Level 1, Object Height of the HC building in Hex K5 is Level 1.
Object Height of Hex K7, a Hill with Light Woods is Level 2 (Level 1 Hill + 1 Level for the Light Woods).
The enemy is in Hex K8 on a Level 2 hill, Object Height for Hex K8 would be Level 2.
The Squad CAN fire on the enemy because while it's traced through a degrading terrain obstacle that rises to a higher total hex level than the Squads Level, it does not rise higher then that of the target’s hex level. Therefore, if the enemy can see the squad, the squad can see the enemy. LOS is degraded because of the Light Woods which are <= the Level of the Targeted Unit but > the Level of the attacking Squad.

Is this all correct ?

Thanks !

Last edited:

Stefano G.

Hi Wiggum,
maybe it's my browser problem, but i can not see your images?...could you reload them?

Wiggum

Hi Wiggum,
maybe it's my browser problem, but i can not see your images?...could you reload them?

Hi !

Here are the direct links to the images, thanks for taking a look at them !
(copy to browser)
imgur.com/6JYt7kv
imgur.com/WIVNyy8

Last edited:

TerryB

When I was getting into LNL I did a similar thing to Wiggum, but not as graphically pleasing... However, maybe this doc will help a bit more.

Have fun!
Terry

Attachments

• LOS Examples_v2.pdf
    349.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Jeff Lewis

Hi !

I'm really struggling understanding the details of Object Height and LOS and how they are linked.
The manual (5.0) is, in my opinion not very clear about that and some things seem strange.

Is the Object Height and the Height at which the Squad would be correct in this image ?
72xWV8x.png

Please look at these LOS situations (A,B,C,D):
oeLgE5T.png

(The black swirls depicts the "Shadowing")
(The building in Hex K3 is a multi-story HC building)

A: The Squad in Hex K3 is at Level 1, Object Height of the LC building in Hex K4 is Level 1.
The Squad CAN target the enemy in Hex K6 but could NOT target the enemy if he would be in Hex K5.

B: The Squad in Hex K3 is at Level 1, Object Height of the HC building in Hex K5 is Level 1.
The enemy is also in a multi-story HC building at Level 1. The Squad CAN fire on the enemy.

C: The Squad in Hex K3 is at Level 1, Object Height of the LC building in Hex K5 is Level 1.
The Squad CAN target the enemy in Hex K8 but can NOT target the enemy in Hex K7.

D: The Squad in Hex K3 is at Level 1, Object Height of the HC building in Hex K5 is Level 1.
Object Height of Hex K7, a Hill with Light Woods is Level 2 (Level 1 Hill + 1 Level for the Light Woods).
The enemy is in Hex K8 on a Level 2 hill, Object Height for Hex K8 would be Level 2.
The Squad CAN fire on the enemy because while it's traced through a degrading terrain obstacle that rises to a higher total hex level than the Squads Level, it does not rise higher then that of the target’s hex level. Therefore, if the enemy can see the squad, the squad can see the enemy. LOS is degraded because of the Light Woods which are <= the Level of the Targeted Unit but > the Level of the attacking Squad.

Is this all correct ?

Thanks !
Object Height Images are correct.

A, B and C are correct. A is covered in LOS Examples 8, 9, and 11. B is covered in LOS Example 7. C is also covered in 8, 9 and 11.

D is incorrect. The Squads have a clear LOS to each other; the Squad in K3 is not in the one-hex shadow of the Light Woods in K7. LOS Example 9 covers this.

Hey Jeff,

Could you please look at my last post on the thread titled ‘LoS - confirming my understanding of the rules’ regarding LOS and clarify my query there.

THANX!