Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Race for Bastonge

Guy Miller

First of all, thanks to Dave (and whoever else, if anyone) for fixing recent resupply problems.

I decided to play through the Bastogne scenarios and give some AAR's. I figure a lot of people have already played these, but I haven't so I would give it a go.

The first one - Race for Bastogne - was a good scenario to start with, as I am playing the Germans. in most cases I had surprise and firepower superiority. Plenty of armor and some good infantry, excellent support. As soon as the bridges were built I was off to the races. I didn't have any issues pressing my regiments forward to capture objectives and other key locations.

I thought I ended well, but only got a draw out of it. one mistake I made is that I lost the objectives "Dasburg Crossing" and "Urspelt" without knowing it. So that was 20 VP's right there. As a relative newcomer to CO2, I also still have some difficulty moving the sheer number of forces around. As you can see, I ended up with way too many units in Bastogne.

I got so caught up in the game I didn't do a day-by- day AAR, apologies. but, here's a few screenshots of my advance.

Screenshot (139).png Screenshot (146).png Screenshot (147).png Screenshot (148).png

Lesson learned...on to the next!

john connor

10,000 allied casualties. Wow. In reality I believe total casualties were nearer 3,000. That's interesting. The arty gets the lion's share, of course. I think sticking to Dave's suggestion about only controlling 50% of arty might help bring down these unrealistically high casualty figures that are very common. I'd like to see something like that coded, though, so there was no choice.

Thanks for the pics, Guy.

Peter

Guy Miller

yes these results are very unhistorical.
It is difficult not to take advantage of the ART if it's there. The AI does do a good job, but it never comes close to setting up a serious bombardment.
I'm guessing a fair amount of gamers use the ART extensively? I would be curious to know. Heavy bombardment is especially necessary since there is no smoke to help launch an advance.