Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Rally and TM

Starman

The latest rules state walls as an example of hexside terrain that count as a positive modifier for Rallying.

As it is blocking terrain it has a 0 modifier. I am wondering if the change to the rules should state :-
Units in Terrain with a positive Target Modifier , including hexsides and blocking hexsides like walls.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Hum, no, because that would means, amongst others, that hedges, which are also blocking hexside terrain with a TM of 0, would convey the bonus for rallying.

Since these are the core rules (and thus you want to avoid being too specific), a better wording (keeping in mind that english is not my first language) might be:

Units in terrain with a positive Target Modifier (TM; see TEC) subtract two from their die-roll. Some hexside terrain, identified as such in the TEC, may also offer this bonus, under the rigth conditions

Last edited:

Starman

I was quoting the core rules (4.1 onwards) , see below. You are quoting earlier rules.

The rules actually state this:--

"Units in terrain with a positive Target Modifier (TM), including hexside terrain like Walls, subtract two from their die-roll."

There are no notes to say Walls count for Rally TM , unless the TM for walls should be greater than 0 and it his an error , especially as it mentions TM in addition to other terrain in hex when its 0.

My point is that walls are blocking (non adjacent hexsides) like hedges but are not a positive TM yet do give the rally bonus. So I would say hedges do to.

It would therefore be logical to extend to hedges and other blocking hexsides, especially as the rule states like walls.

Let's see what LNL say please.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
I'm quoting from v4.1. I was suggesting that the following sentence:

Units in terrain with a positive Target Modifier (TM), including hexside terrain like Walls, subtract two from their die-roll

be replaced by the following

Units in terrain with a positive Target Modifier (TM; see TEC) subtract two from their die-roll. Some hexside terrain, identified as such in the TEC, may also offer this bonus, under the rigth conditions

because...if you take a look in the TEC, there is such a note regarding Walls confering the bonus, but not hedges. Bocage too can confer the bonus

Last edited:

Starman

20171113_101736.jpg Stéphan I appreciate you are trying to help but as I said above my TEC has no such note and is identical to hedges excep hedges also negate movement modifier.

So my point is that the wording and TEC would cover hedges. I am using the latest copy of Heroes against the Red Star.

Either the TEC is wrong or the rule needs clearer wording.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
You know, what throw me off from the start was your affirmation that Walls had a zero TM modifier, which I took as being correct without double-checking and then went on with the rest of our exchange regarding how the quoted sentence should be modified.

This morning, since you seems to doubt my credentials at answering your question (but have a look at the credits page of the core rules), I opened all my LNL stuff and found that walls appears in the TEC of HATRS, DOH HOTN, HON, HID and HOTM. In all these modules, EXCEPT Heroes against the Red Star, Walls grant a +1 modifier, as they always did (and should have remembered) so the sentence quoted is just fine as is. In the HON module, which I was using in my example, there is even a note in the TEC saying: Only substract 2 from rally rolls (3.0) IF all potential ennemy fire would cross the Wall hexside(s).

So either Walls in HATRS are differents in their effects than in other modules (and then the sentence is indeed rather confusing) or the TEC is in error. I'm inclined to think it is the latter.

Starman

I wasn't doubting who you were but I have done a fasir share of development, rules proofing etc. See GMT credit's and others, you were doubting what I was quoting , we all miss stuff so I am glad you got round to checking. I did say early on it might be an error and I agree walls should have a positive modifier.

"unless the TM for walls should be greater than 0 and it is an error"

Thanks