Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Return to St Vith Tutorial Planning Aids *Spoiler alert for those playing as Axis*

Kurt

Excellent work as always Daz, that 3D stuff is a glimpse of things to come in CO2 I hope :cool:

Thanks guys.
Its a fan based publication, so its not for sale, but I will put up a pdf for it when I get round to it for free.

I have been very busy this week dismantling a huge tree over a greenhouse, and outbuilding!
All I'm good for when I get home from one of these is sleeping, but we are almost done now.

I will finish the current page (21), but am going to wait for the Intel bug to be fixed before continuing with the AAR. Shouldn't be long now.

In the little time I have had, I have been going back through the earlier pages, and editing them to bring them up to date with the later formats I have been using. I am continuing to learn more about the software I am using to make the AAR as I progress, so the layout does change quite a bit.
I keep asking the wife to go through and pick up some of the typos, spelling errors and grammar, but she always seems to have something better to do :sour:

Now I see that this work is a publication and not a program. I was thinking that it was a program that could be used to analyze a game. Now that I understand that this is a publication, I'm even MORE IMPRESSED. The sense of style and the graphics overlays and so forth are simply amazing. It would seem to me that a BOOK of AAR by Daz would be a very valuable addition to any Command Ops player. I would be willing to subscribe to such an offering for a "donation" if it were available. A "subscription fee" would be very, very acceptable to me. One player's opinion, thank you.

Again, fantastic offering.

PS: There is something really pleasing when you encounter something that is so well done in today's cheapened world. This is an example of WELL DONE...

Daz

You guys are making me blush :happy:
Very kind words, thank you.
JArraya, my wife will be very relived to hear that thanks for your kind offer.
I have compiled the pdf for max print quality, and at the moment its weighing in at a portly 44 Mb.
What's the best way to send it to you for proofing JArraya? Email?
I have allowed full editing of the document in the preferences.

I have done a bit of an update on page 21, but its still a work in progress.

Edit: I have been playing around with the settings last night, and have managed to get the pdf file size down to 36 Mb without much loss in quality.

Last edited:

JArraya

Edit: I have been playing around with the settings last night, and have managed to get the pdf file size down to 36 Mb without much loss in quality.
Daz I sent you a private message with a link.

Daz

Just testing this link to where I have uploaded the document to see if it works:

Edit: Removed link and replaced with commenting enabled link, which you can find a few posts down.

Edit: Its working for me, let me know if you have any problems.
The images you are presented with when you first click on the link are just large previews.
To get the full resolution pdf you need to download it to your computer, by selecting the Download pdf (original) from the blue dropdown box top right of screen.

Last edited:

JArraya

Just testing this link to where I have uploaded the document to see if it works:

http://adobe.ly/1bnABKh

Edit: Its working for me, let me know if you have any problems.
The images you are presented with when you first click on the link are just large previews.
To get the full resolution pdf you need to download it to your computer, by selecting the Download pdf (original) from the blue dropdown box top right of screen.
I got the document - I'm not sure how I'm going to edit it yet, but I'll figure it out.

JArraya

Daz,
Got it. I was hoping to be able to do the edits directly for you but I will just point them out using the tool above. Will get through it over the weekend.
J

Daz

Your help is very much appreciated thank you :)
I would rather take a look at your edits, then sort it out myself anyway, its a good way to learn and keep track of the changes.

Daz

I have just been through the first two pages of your edits JArraya.
This has been extremely helpful to me, thank you mate.

I have done a little research on the correct use of commas but not grasped it fully yet. I hope not to plague you with too many incorrect uses of them from now on though.
I always assumed you just put them in whenever you took a breath whilst reading the sentence. I see its a bit more complicated than that now.

I have to edit the changes from the pdf into my master document in Adobe InDesign, so the way you are doing the comments is great.
You may want to look into using the Annotations fly out as well as the comments, whatever you find the easiest I guess.

I have added a bit to explain "close terrain" for you as well.
Look back to page 2 in this forum thread to see the edits, as I am just about to update the first two pages here.

dandennison84

Wow, this is one of the best use of graphics I've ever seen in any game for explaining things. You really need to do some youtube videos on this game or even creating those graphics -) This is just incredible.

Daz

Thanks for the kind words dandennision84 :)

As a new player to the game, is there anything you would like me to elaborate on with regards to game play, that you might find useful?
I'm starting to struggle to find things to write in my Game Tips box.

dandennison84

To be honest, I think the game play is fairly straight-forward and logical. Most of my questions there revolve around how would I task organize a group? Lets say I wanted to remove C.51 from 35th back to the 51st BN? Can I do that? Or is it a matter of multi-select and issue an order? How can I tell supply levels for my troops and when they will be next supplied? The rest just seems hunting around different dialogs to find the values I want. I think out of most wargames, this one seems really intuitive to me.

I'd be more interested in you elaborating your process for designing an operation as well as some kind of glossary on the symbols and terminology you are using. I recognize most of it from my time in the guard in a brigade S2 shop, but I've forgotten some too -) Like on post #8, what does the circle with an "S" in it mean as well as the dashed lines with a "B" in it? How do you decide where to put your LDs, LOAs, and phase lines? How do you decide force compositions and still manage to not overload the various commanders? How do you keep track of what is going on? etc, etc, etc -)

I think you should make a youtube video. A lot of those questions could be answered just watching you play. That would show what dialog boxes you are opening, what tools you are using and when, etc.

dandennison84

Thanks Guys :)
I use Photoshop for compiling the maps, then load the map into Illustrator to add the graphics.
The layout is done in InDesign, where for the first time, I have all the images compiled into one document like a book, so it should be much easier for me to do a pdf once its complete.

Wow, do you use the cloud versions? All those together is something like $50/month?

Iconoclast

@Daz
Actually, I would have a question that is easy for you to answer.

How to use Footprints?

I had a situation, where I wanted a InfBn to defend a village. I alligned the footprint lines with the village boarder, but my units just bunched up around the defend marker in the centre of the footprint, which was slightly behind the village in no useful position. Then I moved the 'defend' marker close to the boarder (also moved the footprint line way forward), hoping the AI would understand now that it had to defend the village. This time leading to me Bn moving out of the urban area, alligning now somewhat with the footprint line (which is ouside of teh city limits now), except for one Coy that decided to keep on walking for the next two or three clicks.

I started to use the 'detach-defend in-situ-reattach' routine after that, something that you do most of the time too, I think. But how to actually use Footprints to issue defensive orders for a Bn?

Regards,

A

Daz

Great feedback thanks guys.

Sorry for the late reply. I've had a couple of tough days at work, and am very much looking forward to this long weekend to get some rest and feeling back into my hands!
Dan, some of my most commonly used symbols can be found in my From the Meuse to the Rhine AAR. Here:

http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/threads/snippets-from-the-meuse-to-the-rhine.887/

A table for the Command Load can be found in an older AAR on Hoffen Ho-Down, slide 19 Here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3504949&mpage=2

There is a little bit about supply in my Greyhound Dash AAR. Here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3588883

The daily routine supply runs start at 06:00 and 18:00, but in some scenarios Axis will only get the 18:00 supply run to simulate interdiction to their supply by allied air superiority. Emergency supply runs can be at any time, as requested by the units, but the On map Boss Depot (Division, Corps Base, depending on the size of the scenario), will only get the two, or one as mentioned previously, so once its all gone they won't get any more until the next routine supply event.

The 3D maps are made by draping an edited game map over the terrain in Google Earth.

Yes, I use the Adobe Cloud package for the AAR's, but I am a long, long, way from mastering it, but seem to learn more and more every time I make one, I'm glad to say.

Arian, this is actually quite a complex question to answer, because there are so many different variables involved.

Force composition, plays a big part so does the underlying terrain.
The AI units are not as stupid as it might first appear, because they can detect old defensive positions on the map, (vacated foxholes), and also layers that are not visible to us on the map (without right clicking and selecting terrain), but are there. Like the edge of wooded areas for example. There is often a fringe around these areas that is not displayed on the map visually, but are included in the data for the terrain with regards to defensive value, and concealment.
An example of this can be seen in my Hoffen AAR in the link above with regards to the Hockerline (Dragons Teeth), which has a defensive depth of about 200m but is only displayed on the map as a thin line.
This can sometimes apply to villages as well.

The planning footprint you get when placing a defend order as you say doesn't always represent where your units will deploy.
I guess its only designed as a rough guide. Experience and practice just messing around with the orders will tell you more than I can explain, but I will look out for examples of this in my AAR, and try to explain them as I go along.

Thank you both for your input, and as I have just said, I will look out for examples of your questions as I progress and try to elaborate on them.

dandennison84

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. How do you get access to the game map? Are you just taking a screenshot?