Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Scenario Creation

docsmann

Has anyone tried to create scenarios for the LnLT games that don't have a Battle Generator? If so, how did you go about setting the parameters? I want to build other scenarios for Day of Hero's to try but honestly am pretty fuzzy about where to start.

Marvin

ejwolski

My son and I have made some custom scenarios for many of the LNL titles. We pick a mission type first - meeting engagement, defense, or attack. Next we select a map (or maps) to use. We then set objectives and go on to force selection. 1:1 for meeting engagements and 2:1 for the attack (reverse for defense). We also factor in the experience level of the player and upgrade with some extras to balance. We tend to go for short fights (less than 10 turns) and company sized teams (~10 squads) as a maximum unless operating on a large map.

Mike Nagel

Marvin,

If you want to develop a scenario based upon a historical situation, start with what you know (likely the OB from whatever source you're gleaning your details). Look for a map (or maps) that closely aligns with the situation and use SSRs to ignore any terrain that might not make sense. Then determine what the protagonists (from your source material) are trying to accomplish (typically advancing or holding). It's typically true that the protagonists are not fully aware of the composition of the antagonists short of the obvious. They may know, for instance, that they were up against one or two MG positions or mortars, so add those. Then, scale the remainder of the antagonists to match the situation in order to make it interesting. Don't fully trust the protagonists ("we were being attacked by an entire division!"), as in the heat of battle they're probably not that trustworthy anyway. The advancing side should have 25% to 50% more units than the defender, depending upon how far they have to go and the nature of the terrain. Slap the units down and have at it! Adjust the OOBs and game length for balance after several tests. If one side or the other manages to squeak out a victory in the amount of time allowed, you should be good.

Have fun!

docsmann

Ejwolski and Mike Nagel, thanks for the pointers. They were insightful and gave me a starting point to work from.