SITREP

Discussion in 'Command Ops Series' started by Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor Panther Games Designer

2. rocketman

rocketman Member

That's quite an impressive list - good job.

I understand it is work in progress, but can you shed some more light on (and how it will change scenario/map making):
    • Geo Implementation for importing GIS elevation data.

3. Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

What this will mean when it is fully implemented is that instead of spending hundreds of hours tracing contour lines over a scanned topo map, you will be able to import the elevation data with a few clicks. You will then still need to trace out the terrain - woods, urban, roads etc. But it should save a lot of time creating maps.

4. rocketman

rocketman Member

That's good news. Just curious, where will one find data to import?

5. Kurt

Kurt Member

Google Earth I imagine .

6. rocketman

rocketman Member

I run Google Earth Pro and have found no tool for exporting GPS or topographical data. Maybe I'm missing something. If possible it would be an awesome tool for creating maps for Combat Mission games as well.

7. jimcarravallah

While the Google Earth Pro available to the general public for free has near real time data on locations based on satellite photography, it doesn't include the appropriate altitude data for building topographical maps.

If you're interested in mapping, I suggest you look into the Geographic Information System (GIS) data that professional geographers and mappers use as an exchange medium.

Data sets and viewing software are readily available from educational and governmental archives at no cost.

That is where the data for creating maps using the emerging import feature will come from.

panzerpit likes this.
  8. Daz

Daz Member

QGIS is a good place to start if you want to learn more about map elevation data.
    It's a free download from here:
    http://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/download.html

There are some great tutorials on youtube on how to use it, but be warned, it is a very complicated process.
    Klas Karlsson: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxs7cfMwzgGZhtUuwhny4-Q
    has some good tutorial videos.

I have enclosed a pic of what the QGIS interface looks like on your computer. The top half of the map you can see an example of the elevation data I downloaded for the Ardennes area.
    If I remember correctly I got it from here: http://www.naturalearthdata.com/downloads
    CO2 QGIS.jpg

9. JET

JET Member

Great news for the almost ready game changes/fixes and module installer updates.

Will you nominate when and which game changes/fixes and module installer updates are available on this forum to enable manual download of files?

I have had to load all updates manually on my Mac Book Pro.

Will be purchasing a desktop soon, probably with threadripper CPU.

Is Command Ops2 able to utilise multi-core/thread CPUs?

10. Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

CO2 already utilises multiple threads and works with multi cores. However, currently it has one UI thread, one AI thread and up to four sound threads. Maybe, one day we'll develop the engine to hive off multiple AI threads.