SITREP

Discussion in 'Command Ops Series' started by Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor Panther Games Designer

How are you going Peter?

I made a swag of tweaks to the arty months ago now. They have still to go out to beta testers, but that's waiting on this out of sync bug to be nailed.

2. Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

SITREP 1500 Fri 14 Sep 2018

Hi all,

I'm down with a cold. While physically I'm all stuffed up, I can report that we made a breakthrough in the Out of Sync issue this week. I can't believe it's been so long getting here. It turns out that a previous programmer had made some low level changes that I was unaware of. One of these changed the data type of the subordinates list of a force group from a sorted set to an unsorted set. The nature of an unsorted set is that you can't guarantee the order in the set of values. This meant that when replayed the order sometimes got changed and hence the game went out of sync. We changed back to an ordered set and ran a series of tests with small and large scenarios. For AI v AI games, which we can run on our debug version of the game, the game no longer goes out of sync. So that's a great step forward.

However, human v AI still goes out of sync but not straight away like it was previously. Pavlo emailed me this morning saying he thinks he's found the cause for that. I'll be discussing this with him soon. Hopefully we'll be able to put this to bed real soon.

ghibli, Art Hall and BigDuke66 like this.
  3. BigDuke66

BigDuke66 Member

Great news!!!

4. col.sanders

col.sanders Member

That's great news ,sounds like this might be rolling along soon.Really been looking forward for this.

5. Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

SITREP 2333 Tuesday 18 Sep 2018.

We thought we had it licked on Sunday when we found and fixed an error related to reports being played twice in the replay of a recording. That was cause two of the out of sync issue. Alas, further testing yesterday revealed that we must still have another. At least we got to Day 4 before it fired. So once again Pavlo is working his magic and writing some new test logger code for me to run and hopefully track down this latest cause. Trouble is the longer the game runs before it fires the larger the log files. I think the last ones were like 18 Gb of log data and that was just to Day 2. It's enough to try the patience of a saint. But the good news is that we have made significant progress. Fingers crossed.

Panman, panzerpit and Art Hall like this.
  6. jimcarravallah

Ugh. I don't envy yours and Pavlo's task(s) but really appreciate the effort to make things work.

There's nothing more mind numbing than reviewing thousands of lines of code to find the one fly in the ointment.

7. john connor

john connor Member

Hey Dave. I'm good, thanks. Would love to be playing CO2, testing the long-lost Bradley at Bay pack, testing the arty tweaks, testing (if that's happening) the basing code changes, so glad you are getting somewhere with the bug. Thanks. It has been a loooong process, it seems. Many thanks to Pavlo! Glad you're not both giving up on it....

Peter