Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

SITREP

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
SITREP 1640 Friday 30 Jan 2015

Hi all. It's been a very busy week here. I am still waiting on some final revisions to the File icons. In any event my own testing revealed quite a few UI bugs and a few AI bugs. I have used the time profitably to fix these. In addition, this week I have finished off the registration code, changes to the WINVER code (what version of Windows is supported), updated the About Box, reorganised application resources, resolved outstanding issues with the Scenario Selection screen and replicated the code that supports multiple force data dialogs and used this to support multiple TaskEdit and TaskView dialogs.

Just for the uninitiated the Task Edit dialogs appear for your orders. The Task View dialogs appear for tasks that the AI has created. Eventually it would be nice to have some controls which could allow you to sync the timings. But that will have to wait for now.

Multiple Task Dialogs.jpg

So right now I am still waiting on the final bits of artwork. As soon as I get these it will go out for testing.

Last edited:

kipanderson

Dave,
Multiple Task views sounds very useful... hopefully far easier to coordinate tasks/attacks for a number of different units at the same time.
Great stuff..
All the best,
Kip.

john connor

Great stuff, Dave. All looks great. Can't recall who mentioned it, but did you ever get round to implementing some kind of task edit preferred settings? As someone else said, 90% of the time we would find ourselves - at least at certain points in a battle - clicking the same buttons over and over again - in my case 'quickest, fastest, attacks, max rof, auto facing, no sleep' for example. Is theer any way to standardise a particular pattern? Someone else asked about this a while back, so you may have already done it.

Peter

Joe98

In the screen shot above, I note the unit counters are different sizes. That seems odd.

Joe98

Yes you can now opt to scale icons according to their size. So platoon units appear much smaller than companies who are smaller than the Bn HQ.

I would have thought that an infantry company is larger than a battalion HQ - which has a few officers, a RSM and a few cooks.

Grim.Reaper

Got the final icons from Marc von Martial today. I will incorporate these on Monday and then package things up for LNL to work up the installer. Yeeha!

Hello, glad to hear this is nearing release, anxious to play the new version. Can you clarify what actually will be released soon as beta? Will it only be the core game and the couple included scenarios (i.e. the free version) or will also all the updated content (the $50 bundle) be available at the same time? If the bundle won't be available, any potential ETA on that? Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I may have over looked it.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
We'll release the core engine with its three scenarios first as a public beta. I will need some time to convert the data for the modules. Not sure how long that will take but probably a couple of weeks at least. Once they are done we will put them up for sale.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
I would have thought that an infantry company is larger than a battalion HQ - which has a few officers, a RSM and a few cooks.
True but the size of the counter does not directly correlate to the numbers of personnel or equipment. Rather it is a reflection of how important that unit is to the commander.

Rob

Hi,

Like the scalable icons and really like the est. start time and est. orders delay info. on the Edit task display. :cool: In your example above which unit does the edit move order/task appear for ?? I notice it begins and ends after the highlighted HQ's attack order.
Can't wait to start this puppy!!
Rob.

Joe98

So the size of the counter does not reflect the strength of the counter!

This is the same thinking that gave us 3 = twice the size of 2 and 4 = 3 times the size of 2!

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Joe,

Expand your horizons mate. Think in terms of what is important to the Player to find quickly. In some cases it may be the companies but normally for a non-micromanaging operational commander it will be his Bn HQ. These are the entities he gives orders to. Selecting them will display the aggregated data for their entire force in their Force Data dialog. So we have opted to make these larger so they stand out to the Player.