Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Struggling with "New" UI

Johnlondon

I've finally decided to give this game the proper attention it deserves, however it seems things have changed since the last time I played.

I can't see a way to get set up so I have the windows I need open. Why can't we have a tabbed window, for Orders, Tools, Options, etc as before?

How do you guys manage? I'm trying to follow the tutorial videos but it's essentially impossible for me at the moment. I have to shuffle and close windows constantly vs just having what I need in the side bar.

It seems like a step back in pretty much every way?

Thanks.

Kurt

This is my usual setup ; what seems to be the problem exactly ?
Screenshot 2016-11-11 23.41.51.png

Johnlondon

The problem I'm having, and your screenshot shows this quite nicely) is we get less information than before, and if we want the same amount we have to use up tons of screen real-estate vs the original.

Additionally, I've found I now have to constantly manually open and close the edit task/view task, tools, crossings, and several other important windows.

Like I said, it's been super frustrating trying to get back into this game while fighting the new UI at the same time.

I can tell I'm going to love this gem of a game, I just wish it wouldn't fight me so much :)

Last edited:

Kurt

Stick at it ! Some people play with two monitors , one for the map , one for all the UI stuff . I did consider it myself but I am quite happy with just the one monitor now .

Kurt

Anyone care to show us what CO2 on 2 x monitors looks like ?

MarkShot

CO2on2.jpg

MarkShot

Here is dual monitor capture which requested.

Left is a 32" TV 1080p (1920x1080); Right is 21" LCD (not native at 1024x768 to enlarge font)

I think this layout works for as the windows open are permanent.

Here is my personal impression:

* RDOA/HTTR/COTA/BFTB: Were better with a single display. The side bar obscured nothing and it was fairly concise.

* CO2: Is better if you do have a second monitor. You get some more map displayed with various windows open permanently.

* CO2: Multiple windows isn't completely polished yet ... you can see that various windows don't automatically link as data as you change context ... and at times the context is not obvious.

I could game with either UI, but it is CO2 for me, for the enhanced feature set.

PS: I got the 32" TV for gaming. There are so many wonderful games with pitifully small text when your eyes get old. If you simply buy a big computer monitor, the text gets even smaller. If you run at anything but native, then your games look like s**t. But 1080p TV will have the same number of pixels whether 32" or 60".

MarkShot

Yes. But you are looking at 10" display which is rather small. Also, suppose you did manage to place some CO2 windows on an iPad, do you really want to interact with them via a touch device and not a mouse?

Most video cards for years have been able to handle two displays. If you can play CO2, you probably are using something better than 80486. If you can find the desk space than add a 32" TV ... you can get full HD very cheap these days. If your PC only has DVI ports and not HDMI; no problem. The DVI and HDMI video signals are 100% compatible. You can just use a DVI (male) -> HDMI (female) adapter to solve that.

rocketman

As far as I understood the app you also download it to the PC so you control with mouse just like on a second monitor. Yes, the iPad is small but luckily I don't have a problem with small text. The iPad has an excellent screen and I don't want to splash the cash for a second monitor. Plus, don't have the space for it

MarkShot

Well, an interesting idea. Too bad there isn't a lite mode to try. I would be a little concerned with it working for games as opposed to Window's desktop applications.

I have thought of using my iPad for manuals while getting up to speed on games, instead of jumping out of the game to a PDF reader.

rocketman

That would be another handy use of it. I design scenarios for Combat Mission and it would be handy to display stuff outside of the editor on a second screen.

Perturabo

I'd prefer if there would be an option of the old gui without separate windows.