Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Sword to Caen

Grognerd

I knew you were working Guadalcanal. I've got a minor reading library assembled over the past 20 or so years on the battle, and have assembled some source data beyond what I shared with you in the past to support development of a scenario on the battle.

After I finish the Saipan effort, particularly to get the balance between the Japanese organizational behavior vice the Allied behavior, I was considering embarking on another Pacific Front effort -- Guadalcanal being a prime target.

If it's not stepping on your toes, I'd like to work on Guadalcanal next.

No it's not stepping on toes, I'm looking forward to seeing it. I got as far as creating a MapScan0, then another war game product was released and I worked it up in that editor for quite awhile. It's pretty near finished in that product. I was familiar with that editor from previous editions.

I hope in your library you have Richard Frank's "Guadalcanal The Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle" - Best book on the subject I've ever read. Tons of information from both sides perspectives and lots of tables and such for OB work.
Over the last 50 years or so I have amassed quite a decent library on many topics, one of them WWII of course.

Grognerd

Normandy is a mapmakers wet dream, it is just about the most photographed and mapped area of WW2. And most of it is readily available online. I used this as base for my Mapscan. It is a nice and detailed GSGS map from '43. For Caen itself I just put this one in my browser and peeped from time to time to add more detail.

My choice for Sword was twofold: 1. I love anything about the British Airborne and Pegasus Bridge and 2. Sword was the Eastern most flank and cut off from the rest due to the counter attack of the 21st Panzer. This made the scenario more manageable in terms of OOB, as I didn't have to include the forces from Juno.

I'm guessing it is possible to make a map including most of the beaches, but I'm not sure if that would translate well to an all encompassing scenario. I think the sheer number of units on the map would make it unplayable in terms of speed (the more units, the slower the game). Cutting the scenarios beach per beach would be more advisable.

Hope you get into your groove while trying out the mapmaker. It is not that difficult, but it sure takes a lot of time. Give me a shout if you need some help.

It is a bit tedious but the map editor is not hard once you get the hang of it.
Yes, 2450 square kilometers is a bit much, I'll try the whole thing for the challenge of it and then split it up if necessary (since that does not appear to be too hard). I'm retired, the map will take a month I bet so other than watching the dogs and house-cleaning it gives me something to do!
Since replacements are not part of the game engine I will only model the first few days worth of fighting, the battle for the beachheads.
A lot of work for just a few days, but what the heck.

Edit: My favorite board war game of all time is Avalon Hill's Longest Day (go figure Ha!)

2nd Edit: Maybe your correct, might actually be more interesting (and work better) as a series of battles for Normandy!

Last edited:

TMO

Does anybody have a map editor guide? Trying to add/edit a couple of names on Bie's excellent Sword beach map.

Regards

Tim

Kurt

Does anybody have a map editor guide? Trying to add/edit a couple of names on Bie's excellent Sword beach map.

Regards

Tim
here

Attachments

• Map Maker Guide.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 5

TMO

Hi Kurt, opened it up but it's the wrong mapmaker guide. The one you loaded is for Panzer Command Ostfront.

Regards

Tim

You should have the MapMaker manual in your Documentation directory under the core directory for the install.

In Steam on Windows 10 the path is C:/Program Files (X86)/Steam/Steamapps/common/Command Ops 2/Documentation.

Kurt

You should have the MapMaker manual in your Documentation directory under the core directory for the install.

In Steam on Windows 10 the path is C:/Program Files (X86)/Steam/Steamapps/common/Command Ops 2/Documentation.
TMO is correct , there is no map maker guide in docs . I seem to have lost my personal copy of this guide also .

J. van Limpt

I'm going to, thanks! I have a question. Do you happen to know where I can dl the Taganrog 1943 scenario too?

So glad to see people are making scenarios. CO2 is so worth the attention.

Bie

I'm going to, thanks! I have a question. Do you happen to know where I can dl the Taganrog 1943 scenario too?

Can't help you with that. It seems that the original dropbox download on Thesharpendgaming is down.

panzerpit

I have a copy of Liberation of Taganrog scenario, albeit I don't know if I can share it without the creator's permission...

Bie

With the change in the road movement value from 3 to 65 the dynamics of the Sword to Caen have also changed somewhat. That's why I decided to revisit the scenario. So now I'm doing some gameplay trails in order to tune the objectives and the AI's reaction to them.

Secondly, with my growing familiarity of British army organization I've taken the opportunity to put in the mortar/carrier/AT platoons for all of the infantry battalions instead of the generic AT support company. I've also decided to do some naming revisions in order to be more consistent with my other scenarios.

Finally I've fully modeled the 51st Infantry Division (not all units were in) and added just about all of the units of the Infanterie Division 711. I'm hoping to put out a new version tomorrow, so I can continue my work on Goodwood - Atlantic.

J. van Limpt

Great series, Bie. Very impressive. Since I'm a big fan of fictional scenarios ('what-if') I would like to play Sword to Caen with a completly present 21st Panzer from D1 01.30 on. Would it be possible for me to change this myself in the editor?