Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

The Factions of Falling Stars: War of Empires

Philip Devine

Designer / Developer
Hello again everyone! So far I've shown you an overview of the game, as well as an introduction to exploration. Over the course of this week I'll introduce you to the different factions of Falling Stars: WOE.

Our goals when designing these factions were to offer players vastly different personalities, and more importantly different strategic options. Every faction will excel in either Exploration, Extermination, Exploitation, or Expansion, and the race I'd like to talk about is the Terran Matriarchy.

full

Earth has been ravaged by wars and overpopulation, which ultimately leads a shortage of natural resources and vast uninhabitable zones. This has driven them to spend the majority of their resources on large powerful cargo ships capable of reaches the deepest depths of space so they can find a planet suitable for humans and the various life forms they want to preserve. If I didn't already spell it out enough, this will be FS:WOE's Exploration faction.

Here's a profile of the race, as well an excerpt from the lore:

Strengths:
  • Increased movement

• Stealth

• Balanced starting units
Strategic Capabilities:
  • Advanced explorers

• Moderate influence

• Hybrid starting technology
“Leaving Terra, my homeland, was one of the hardest choices I’ve ever made. Or perhaps it was one of the easiest. The greed of previous generations destroyed the planet. Pollute the water, the air, the land and no one would have to pay for it. We are now.

What were once major metropolitan areas are totally deserted and uninhabitable. The declining population has been forced to the poles where the extreme heat from rising climate temperatures is bearable. In the north we have established our largest settlement. We can still venture south to tap resources and vegetation; the plants which lived through the pollution are thriving in the heat.

As the cities were being deserted, countries fell and so did their governments. Our hardships were bearable until the civil unrest quickly turned to mass rioting. The old super powers all but destroyed themselves in the fight to maintain power. I never understood why they would want more destruction when the planet had turned against them, but I guess, what did they have to lose?

I do suppose all their killing and destruction has made my job easier. We’ve banded together with a common goal: save our home planet and everyone left on it. I’ve been chosen to lead an expedition to Arkis Vir where we hope to find ways to reverse the damage on Terra. Their scientists must know something, they must be able to help. Hope. That’s all we have left.

-Superior Matriarch Jessra

Next I'll cover our war-torn Legion of Ryxe, as well as post the faction specific ships as they become available. Thanks for reading!

Philip Devine

Designer / Developer
The Legion of Ryxe are an honorable yet deadly race that excel in firepower and hand-to-hand combat. Their natural body armor, an organic material made up of hardened enzymes that are excreted during the adrenaline rush of battle, strengthens and thickens after every battle they encounter. Their military rank is measured by the size and shape of this armor.

full

Strengths:
  • Increased damage

• Powerful starting units
Strategic Capabilities:
  • Enhanced fleet combat

• Fasted Arkadian Warship acquisition

• Bonus barter benefits with Ryxe allies
“I found myself standing amid destruction. Devastation. Obliteration, and for what purpose? Honor. Others do not understand that I feel no joy in unleashing my armies on those who stand in my way, but if you’re not with us, you’re against us.

My people have suffered for centuries under careless rule. What was once a prosperous and influential empire is now a disgrace in the galaxy. Our vital beliefs and customs are misunderstood by outsiders as being hateful, angry, and uncaring. Yes, we are good at war. We teach discipline, obedience, and above all honor. My warriors do not hate our enemies, we respect them. Nor do we not fight with anger. Anger is too volatile, too easily corrupted. While we do not care for the same things as others, this does not mean we do not care. I care for my people; past, present, and future.

I found myself with the weight of an entire race on my shoulders. I never asked for this, but I never stopped it either. My people survived because of me, because of my cold, calculated actions that ended the war on my home planet. And now it is my goal to honor the dead by regaining the power we once had.

My fleet is ready. My time is right. We will take Arkis Vir. Do not stand in my way.”

-Xynar, Prime Commander of the Legion

Philip Devine

Designer / Developer
Next up is The Uubariat, an influential and politically savvy race that is well known for their ability to manipulate situations for their own gain. This race excels at exploiting others through politics as well resource acquisition by using their superior "negotiating ability" to gain extra benefits from planetary barters. Rather than focusing their resources on firepower and ships, they tend to use their (vast) resources on espionage and blackmail.

full

Strengths:
  • Increased Trade Payouts

• Persuasion and Manipulation
Strategic Capabilities:
  • Fastest Resource Acquisition

• Far Reaching Influence Across Many Planets

• Enhanced Planetary Bartering
“My father was a fool, and his father was an even greater fool. But me, I am no fool. I learned early and quickly that fighting was futile. You will never find an Uubariat in the fighting pits on Golzul, but you will find us in the background, the shadows, the places where no one wants to look. I did not get to where I am today by being in the spotlight. No one fancies looking at me anyways.

We have always been known as a crafty race, with our natural knack for trade and politics. The surrounding planets have become wary of us because our agreements never seem to favor them, I wonder why… My ancestors were not as efficient as I am, they did not have my same finesse or flare for negotiations. My people have always done just fine, traded well, but got bullied by the larger and the stronger. Not anymore, I will make us all kings and rulers. We are the superior race.

Our forefathers never understood their place in this galaxy, their minds were too small, too focused on our own planet. Yes, they were leaders, yes they were respected, yes, they were rich, but I want more. Arkis Vir, that is what I want.

I hear talk of fighting and civil unrest on the so called ‘perfect planet.’ I have to strike now, my eyes and ears in different parts of the galaxy tell me others are getting ready to move. I am not worried, not even the slightest. Any battle can be won, and any planet can be taken. It just requires a bit of…persuasion.”

- Praug Dinar, Head Councilman of The Uubariat

Philip Devine

Designer / Developer
The final race I'll share with you for now is the Colony of Gsudoon, a bug-like race that specializes in expansion, jumping from planet to planet until all of the resources are used up. They are the most difficult race to manipulate, as their telepathic communication can only be intercepted by those who receive an extremely dangerous brain implant. Needless to say, other races are not very quick to perform this operation on their more intelligent diplomats, therefore relationships with the Gsudoon are few.

full

Strengths:
  • Largest starting fleet
  • Least expensive unit production
  • Most starting planets
Strategic Capabilities:
  • Enhanced fighter production
  • Fastest planet colonization
“I never knew my mother and my heir will never know me. There can only be one queen, one ruler, one powerful enough to control our entire race. All of my daughters have the sole purpose of bringing our goals to completion. They are perfect because they are an extension of myself. I can have millions, even billions of daughters, but one queen and I am finished. It has always been that way.

We travel from system to system, building intricate colonies for the Gsudoon to thrive in. By extending our empire to the far reaches of the galaxy, we ensure survival for all future generations. At times we are forced to eliminate existing inhabitants of planets that have the ability to sustain us. But they are erratic, wild, and pose more of a threat to themselves than to anyone else. They have no queen, no one to command them. To us, they are useless, unintelligent.

The galaxy is yearning for us to command it. I lead the perfect race and with it we have the ability to control farther than any technology can see. We will live. My daughters will prosper. This galaxy will be ours.”

- Gsudoon Queen

Philip Devine

Designer / Developer
While we don't have explicit weaknesses laid out yet, I expect them to come through the process of balancing the game. Ways I could image it working out would be: A race getting more of the "fighter class" ships, but with reduced power, or a race with a very strong specialized strength, politics and influence for example, starting out with fewer technology advances.

I see balance as having a lot of "give and take", where players will be given different options to work with when deciding which race fits their play style best.

Are there any new factions that you plan to develop? If so, will the be introduced right away or much later?

Also how many factions total will there be?

Philip Devine

Designer / Developer
With each new faction we introduce, we also must balance and develop them to be up to par with the others. Right now we have 4, but if we reach one of our Kickstarter goals then 6 is a definite possibility. We aren't completely ruling out 6, but the amount of work required to give them custom ships, balance those ships, custom racial abilities, etc.. having too many could really throw the game out of wack.
And of course, if you have ideas for other races, feel free to post them. The earlier we start vetting ideas, the more likely we will be to include them!