Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Trial of Strength Feedback

Daz

Thanks Cap.
I think this kind of thing is very much down to personal preference.
Some like it simple and clean, others with more decoration.
If we all liked the same thing, the DIY store would be a boring place to visit lol
I can't seem to stop now I have started though :rolleyes:

Comand-Ops-board-game-1.jpg

Last edited:

monstrooper

The map art looks fine but I will admit that my bias is towards a graphically clean and crisp look like the later SPI maps (late 1970s until their demise) and GMT Games maps by Mark Simonitch.

Straighter roads/rivers please, also I notice that some of the terrain features bleed outside the hex outlines (Smolensk, fields) or that might be ambiguous (that small section of woods/forest 2 hexes from Kalunga... does it affect the whole hex or just the 2 hex sides).

If the terrain effect of Fields is no different than a Clear hex, then I would prefer to leave the fields off the map. I'd rather have a map that is clear, easy to read and not ambiguous regarding terrain than a map that is "pretty".

But, I do like this map graphic sample better overall than Trial of Strength Map Sample #1 (!).
I prefer the textured clear hexes in the new map sample and the city/town graphic looks better than the simple dots used in Sampl 1. But the black lettering with white outline kind of fades into the background. Maybe more contract for city/town names?

New map sample looks great overall.

Last edited:

Crawford

A friend and I are planning a game of ToS in February. We'll likely use the 1942 start time. If you want us to implement any changes for playtest purposes, let me know.

billyboy

Trial of Strength

WW2 Eastern front strategic game in which units conduct combat during the movement phase by expending movement points.
Corps / Army scale. There isn't a combat phase in ToS. All combat is done somewhat like overruns in the operations phase. A unit in range of a HQ can roll for initiative to react when a combat is declared. Each HQ gets to do this once during the opponents turn.
The air and naval aspect of the game is fairly simple. There are Armor effects in combat and rules to allow more than one stack at a time to combine there movement. When Armor effects are used the Tanks must take the first loss if any (you will see the way those Panzers get worn down in Barbarossa). Losses are by step with possible retreats and even morale rolls to hold your ground and take more losses.
This is such a good game. It has very cool mechanics with the Operations phase that combines movement and combat. Defenses can react which makes reserves important. Did I mention FOW? There are off map displays for the Army HQ's. On this scale there isn't another Eastfront game that combines history with playability this well. Far and away the best game at this scale on the topic!