Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Understanding machine guns in vehicles - Hatrs

Santiago

Hi

I've just received my copy of Heroes Against the Red Star and I'm starting to play some small scenarios to get familiar with the rules and mechanics (it's my first experience with a LnL game). So far I'm really enjoying it!

One thing that I don't quite get is the machine guns in vehicles when they have more than one value. In the modern rules 4.1, page 38, there's a picture of a T-55 vehicle with 2 values for the MGs. According to the explanation the one on the left indicates a FP=4 with a field of fire of 360. The second one is the "covered arc MG" = 4.

I don't understand the second one. In a paragraph in page 39 it mentions that the MGs must fire in the turret's covered arc (or hull, for turretless AFVs). Does the second value indicate that the covered arc is wider than the usual 2-hex in front of the turret? Or is it just another MG with FP=4 and the legend in the picture is wrong? Is anything else?

Could someone kindly elaborate a bit how to read those values? Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, and this is just a case of infoxication after reading the manuals and a bunch of threads all in a go.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
The first MG, which has a *, can be fired 360*, regardless where the vehicle hull of turret is pointing. The vehicle must be open to fire this MG though.

The second one can be fired even if the vehicle is butttoned but only in the covered arc of the turret (or the covered arc of the hull if the vehicle is turrret-less), as defined in the picture of page 35.

So supposed you have a vehicle with a turret pointing to the rear. It could fire both MG if it was open; the first could be fired at any target in any direction, the second, only at targets in the turret covered arc which, in this case, would be pointing to the rear..

Essentialy, a vehicle with a turret has two covered arc. The hull covered arc (which is always pointing at the front of the vehicle) and the turret covered arc (which can be rotated around). Any turreted-vehicle with a MG that must be fired in a covered arc use the turret fire arc by default.

Santiago

Ok, it was simple, as it should. Next time I'll take a nap before asking.

Thanks for your time