Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Vehicles with mixed performance in a single unit

hubee0

Sometimes an unit contains both combat, off-road vehicles like tracked AFVs, toegether with non-combat ones like trucks. Does low off-road performance of the latter affect overall unit mobility in hard terrain? Maybe one should remove non-combat wheeled vehicles from estabs for tracked line units?

Sometimes an unit contains both combat, off-road vehicles like tracked AFVs, toegether with non-combat ones like trucks. Does low off-road performance of the latter affect overall unit mobility in hard terrain? Maybe one should remove non-combat wheeled vehicles from estabs for tracked line units?
There are two movement types, motorized and non-motorized, so there is no difference between tracked and wheeled vehicles.

Page 26 of the Estab Editor Manual States: "Move Class - either foot, bycycle, horse, halftrack, tracked, wheeled, air, sea or sub. Air Sea and Sub are not supported at the moment ( so do not use them ). In effect the remaining classes are converted to either motorised ( wheeled, tracked or half-tracked ) or non-motorised ( foot, byclcle, horse ). We aim to cater specifically for each class in the future."

hubee0

Thank you Jim. I didn't notice that in the manual.
So no matter what vehicles are assigned to a unit, there is no difference in its movement performance. Which is odd, but I can see that a potentially complicated mixture of wheeled and tracked vehicles would be hard to handle by the engine.
But... what about speed? Let's say I have a battalion of Renault R-35 tanks with max speed of 20 kmph on road and terrain. The battalion has some trucks and motobikes assigned with max speed 40 kmph on road and 10 kmph on terrain. What would be the whole unit max speed on- and off- road?

Last edited:
Thank you Jim. I didn't notice that in the manual.
So no matter what vehicles are assigned to a unit, there is no difference in its movement performance. Which is odd, but I can see that a potentially complicated mixture of wheeled and tracked vehicles would be hard to handle by the engine.
But... what about speed? Let's say I have a battalion of Renault R-35 tanks with max speed of 20 kmph on road and terrain. The battalion has some trucks and motobikes assigned with max speed 40 kmph on road and 10 kmph on terrain. What would be the whole unit max speed on- and off- road?
I'm afraid I mislead you a bit regarding the difference between tracked and wheeled movement.

Here's an excerpt from Pg. 27 of the Estab Editor Manual:

"Speed - the practical speed in kilometres per hour ( kph ) at Normal and Max rates of movement along a highway. Most foot units move at 6/9 kph ( normal/max ). Most wheeled support units at 20/30 kph; armour at 38/50. Armoured car and recon at 40/60."

The speed mentioned is set based on information coded in the Estabs to define a specific vehicle or foot formation type.

This speed gets modified by information inserted into maps with the ideal modifier (100 or 100-percent) of the maximum possible assigned to highway travel, and lesser percentages assigned to other terrain features affecting travel -- in roads and paths the stratification being highway, road, unimproved road, railroad, and track, if I recall the designations correctly. Each percentage is set by the person defining the map attribute for the terrain feature. Those terrain feature percentages can be separated by the two movement types we already discussed -- motorized and non-motorized.

For example, a pathway may provide a 5-percent modifier for motorized movement, and a 10-percent modifier for non-motorized movement.

The next calculation determines which is the major movement capability for the unit -- an infantry company with 120 foot troops and one jeep for the commander being assigned a "non-motorized" rate, and that same company in a cavalry regiment assigned enough jeeps to transport a majority of the troops (nominally 30) being assigned a "motorized" rate at the wheeled vehicle speed defined above.

Finally, the appropriate terrain modifier -- motorized / non-motorized -- is applied to the speed for the assigned movement type.

I believe the assumption for defining a unit rate is the unit will move on the battlefield and conduct combat at the movement rate a majority of the unit's members can attain taking into account that those unit members will take advantage of riding dedicated transport so long as it's assigned in sufficient strength to their unit.

simovitch

The speed of each unit is set in the estab editor, regardless of the speed of the individual components of the unit. It's an abstraction that seemed acceptable due to the game being 'operational' in scale.

The differentiation between wheeled and tracked vehicles will be introduced sometime in the future. At that time, it may make more sense to create units that are more homogeneous and disregard the historical TO&E concept.