Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Spotting Clarification Request

Qwirz

Hi all!
This is just a request for clarification.
Perhaps a dumb one....
Units are spotted if adjacent to a GO enemy unit.
If the GO enemy unit goes Shaken they are no longer spotted (as stated in the example in 10.1).
Does this mean that to be considered spotted, a unit must be not only adjacent to an enemy unit, but adjacent to an enemy unit capable to spot it?
I mean regarding the OTHER units on the map, not just the adjacent ones.
For ex: an Open Vehicle adjacent to enemy units, makes them Spotted.
If it Buttons up it is no longer able to spot not even the adjacent unit though retaining its GO status.
Does the hex become unspotted for all the units on the map or just for the buttoned vehicle?

Ruben

Jeff Lewis

There are many ways for a hex to be spotted. Adjacency is just one of them. Buttoned vehicles don't auto-spot an adjacent hex containing a unit in degrading or blocking terrain, but if another unit successfully performs a spotting attempt on that hex, the buttoned vehicle can fire on it in a later impulse. Same if the enemy unit fires.

From your question it sounds like you think multiple criteria must be met for a hex to be spotted, but that is not the case. A blocking-terrain hex with an enemy Squad under a Moved marker in it is spotted and can be fired on by all of your units that meet the range and LOS requirements.

Qwirz

Thanks Jeff for your reply!
Marked units apart, does a buttoned tank auto-spot adjacent units in open ground?
And most important of all:
To auto-spot adjacent unit it is not enough to be adjacent, but the (auto-spotting) adjacent-unit must be able to spot by itself as well in order to make adjacent units spotted. Am I right???

EDIT: I need an avatar ASAP! :)

Jeff Lewis

A unit in open-type terrain is spotted because it's in open terrain.

To auto-spot adjacent unit it is not enough to be adjacent, but the (auto-spotting) adjacent-unit must be able to spot by itself as well in order to make adjacent units spotted. Am I right???

Incorrect. If a hex is spotted, it's spotted for/to all units with LOS to it. A Squad in a Clear hex (open terrain) adjacent to a buttoned tank is spotted to that tank and any other unit that has LOS to it.

Qwirz

Jeff,
What if an otherwise UNSPOTTED units (let's say unmarked in blocking/degrading terrain), is adjacent to a buttoned GO tank?
Is it SPOTTED for others unit on the map and not for the tank, or is it UNSPOTTED for everyone?
Thx

Jeff Lewis

What if an otherwise UNSPOTTED units (let's say unmarked in blocking/degrading terrain), is adjacent to a buttoned GO tank?
Is it SPOTTED for others unit on the map and not for the tank, or is it UNSPOTTED for everyone?
It's unspotted for everyone.

trima

Hi,

Another newb spotting question. In the Administration phase, you remove all markers, including Spotted. Does that mean that the hex has to be "re-spotted" in the next Operations phase the next turn? Seems like just because the turn ended if a unit was spotted and fired on in one turn, it's going to still be spotted a minute later...

Thanks!

Jeff Lewis

Another newb spotting question. In the Administration phase, you remove all markers, including Spotted. Does that mean that the hex has to be "re-spotted" in the next Operations phase the next turn? Seems like just because the turn ended if a unit was spotted and fired on in one turn, it's going to still be spotted a minute later...
Yes, unless you were firing ordnance at targets in the hex, in which case Acquisition markers would be used.

Remember, though, hexes are spotted not units. Think of being spotted more as being "exposed", either through movement or firing. At the end of the turn, think of those units, if they are in degrading or blocking terrain, as ducking for cover, to reload or prepare to run for it again, etc.; if they move or fire again, then they are "exposed" again. Of course there are other ways of being spotted, like having a friendly unit (in Good Order) adjacent, etc.

Hope that helps elucidate the theoretical basis of the rule.

trima

Yes, unless you were firing ordnance at targets in the hex, in which case Acquisition markers would be used.

Remember, though, hexes are spotted not units. Think of being spotted more as being "exposed", either through movement or firing. At the end of the turn, think of those units, if they are in degrading or blocking terrain, as ducking for cover, to reload or prepare to run for it again, etc.; if they move or fire again, then they are "exposed" again. Of course there are other ways of being spotted, like having a friendly unit (in Good Order) adjacent, etc.

Hope that helps elucidate the theoretical basis of the rule.

Thanks that makes sense now. I appreciate the detailed answer. Love the depth of this game!

TerryB

[Cross posted to BGG]

Another newbie question on spotting...

Is there any limit on the range to spotting, i.e. the number of intervening hexes between the spotting unit and it's target?

My question specifically relates to Heroes of the Falklands, scarario 1 and Detatchment Bravo that can't move until it spots an enemy unit The SSR mention range for turns 1 and 2 but I presumed that was more to do with weapon range than spotting range.

But I'm sure there must be a generic max to how far a unit can see..

Thanks in advance

Last edited: