Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

What's Your Rules

warrafael

Hi Guys,

If you are playing with any house rules or you have something special you feel brings to the game system.

David

We play with less powerful heroes, that is, when generating a hero we do not choose a skill card nor we apply shifts to melee combat.

However, we do use the skill card viven at the escenario setup.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

Tyler Roush

Not a house rule I've played with yet, but this is something I've considered trying:

One of the biggest (only?) gripes I hear from new players to LnL is the spotting system -- specifically, that a unit that has fired in a previous turn is suddenly concealed in a future turn. The mechanics work for me personally, but I can appreciate the criticism -- it's not likely that American squad is going to forget the MG42 that's barricaded in a house on the other end of that street. (I also understand that spotting entails more than just literally seeing a unit, but sighting it in, etc).

With those caveats, my proposed house rule:

During the Upkeep/Marker Removal Phase, units marked with a Fired marker that are in LOS of an unshaken enemy unit are marked with a -1 Acquisition Marker. Spotting attempts on a hex occupied by said unit include a -1 DRM. The marker is removed if the unit Moves, Assault Moves, or Low Crawls out of the hex or if at any point there is no longer an unshaken enemy unit with LOS to its hex.

It adds a bit of complexity to the spotting rules but I think add some realism. (It also gives another use to those acquisition markers I'm constantly forgetting to use!)

I might try to test it out and report back.

Qwirz

I consider the Spotting Rule one of the really elegant features in LnLT system. I understand the various perplexities expressed by new and old players but I think it should not be considered as the Unit capability to actually SEE an enemy and so shoot it. I consider it as a mix of circumstances: Yes, unit capability to SPOT, coordination in firing a unit as spotted (this is figured in the LM modifier applicable), target unit ability to be and keep being concealed in a stress situation, lights, clouds and all the element that can concur in letting me see you behind that window/tree/bush/etc.
Of course the administrative phase resetting is a game compromise, but it is the best way to handle this without getting involved in complicated and "realistic" rules.
My two cents

Cheers

Ruben

Tyler Roush

Greetings, Ruben. I can definitely appreciate that the above wouldn't be to everyone's taste. Certainly it does add a level of complexity to what is a pretty streamlined game. I do feel the difficulty of a successful spotting attempt (2/3 on 1D6 for blocking/degrading terrain) is a bit onerous for a player who is on the attack. Those rolls can of course be modified by the LM, but unless you've got someone like Major Tom in your force pool, that's still a 50/50 proposition in blocking terrain. Against a disciplined defender, it can be quite frustrating for a player to watch their entire turn hinge on a couple of spot attempts. (I've experienced that from both sides.) Sure, there are other ways to reveal a concealed enemy, perhaps the most time-honored being to toss out a sacrificial squad to draw fire. Depending on available resources (or the FP of the concealed enemy in question) that can be an undesirable approach.

Jeff Lewis

Spotting, or more to the point, being Spotted, is really about being Exposed. If you think of each turn as all things happening, for the most part, at once, you can "see" how it works. If you are in the Clear, or under Fired or Moved, etc., you are Exposed (or if you aren't under Fired/Moved but in blocking/degraded and Spotted, you've been discovered). So when you are in the act of firing, say, from a Building, you can be seen in the act; you are exposed to enemy fire. When you are done firing, at the end of the turn, you don't stay in the window, you return to cover to reload, etc. So, yes, you just fired on that hex and you know they are there, but they are in a Building and it's low percentage to just fire at a Building and hope you hit someone. In LoF 15 I wrote a piece on this with my Dad (an avowed despiser of the spotting rule) and proposed using Acquisition Markers as a FP modifier on subsequent turns if the hex is unspotted in regular game terms, in order to get those who don't like the normal rules to enjoy the system better. So similar to what Tyler is suggesting but no re-spotting for the unit(s) that just fired on a hex if they fire on that hex again.

Tyler Roush

Hi Jeff, that's my understanding of the spotting rule, as well. I do think the Terrain Modifier has a lot to say about how "exposed" a unit is (or isn't). But you could call my house rule as occupying the middle distance between the game rules and your dad's house rule.

I'd mention the other house rule I've long contemplated (allowing shaken MMCs to defend in melee as 0-FP units, with all that entails), but I fear it might prove even more controversial... ;-)

Jeff Lewis

I'd mention the other house rule I've long contemplated (allowing shaken MMCs to defend in melee as 0-FP units, with all that entails), but I fear it might prove even more controversial... ;-)

Interesting idea. Do they only "defend"? I think it would be controversial if they could counterattack.

If it's "defend" only, it's basically giving them a chance to survive long enough to be rallied or reinforced. I'm intrigued.

Tyler Roush

Yeah, my thinking would be that they would defend only, so that the attacking force would at least have to succeed on a (relatively easy) melee roll, given the +1 they'd get for each 0 FP/shaken unit they're attacking. But it would create a nice little narrative element by giving the shaken guys a fighting chance. It could even be an SSR one could experiment with.

Hi Tyler. There are some units in some of the Heroes games that allow a Rally attempt if they are Shaken and they are about to engage in a Melee initiated by their opponent. However, if they fail and there is no other Good Order units in the hex, they are eliminated.

Have you tried your house rule and what are you thoughts?

Tom Manning

Playing solo ..eagerly awaiting the solo rules..until then,regarding OF,when it occurs I roll 1D6...Odds....no OF....Even,the player rolling has to decide wether to fire or pass...works for me.

Jeff Lewis

Playing solo ..eagerly awaiting the solo rules..until then,regarding OF,when it occurs I roll 1D6...Odds....no OF....Even,the player rolling has to decide wether to fire or pass...works for me.
Obviously it's your house and you can do what you want, but I think when playing solo you have to do what's in the best interest of each side and a random roll doesn't accomplish that.

Jeff Lewis

The solo game is still in development, but should resolve it w/o you having to make a decision.

Tom Manning

And I,Sir,am a noobie buck private!but hoping for a promotion in the near future!Loving the little I have accomplished so far...with tons of help from the "Yodas" on the forum..Learning,I am!

Jackson Riker

I use a streamlined HE combat system when playing the board game: I combine the 2 rolls into 1 roll. The attacker add 2d6 to their offensive firepower and compares it to the total defensive value (terrain, morale and leadership). Also, the whole hex is compared to the 1 roll. This is much faster and favors the offense a bit which is what I wanted as I find fire combat has very little chance of creating casualties.

I also am not a fan of Shaken Units always surrendering.
I think this one rule is the reason that this game is Not taken seriously by the ASL crowd.
Think about it, I can have an excellent 'killer' hex of 3 crack infantry led by a lion, and if they get hit w/a big fire attack and shaken, - a lowly Tank Crew could waltz in and take them all prisoner.
I recommend that prior to entering melee, a unit must pass an MC. Changes the game dramatically, but to be fair it is part of lesser Orders of Battle.

Lastly, I'm w/your Dad, I find the spotting rules annoying, and frequently 'forget' to Spot prior to firing.

I enjoy LnL because I want action and love that the system works in so many great settings.
Plus, like most MHW games, it's fun to play, my rules just make it faster and more fun for me.

Hi Jackson,

Interesting rules but not ones I would be interested in taking onboard though. But your games your house rules so go for it and enjoy.

Here's my two cents worth...

Re: 'as I find fire combat has very little chance of creating casualties.' This in my mind it is correct for small arms fire, it rarely kills unless given a good shot at troops in the open. The current format rewards fire and movement, shake then melee...I find artillery and mortar fire often very effective which again is what I expect. Making fire too easy may create fire fights with a rush for any victory locations when everyone's down and out by survivors.

I agree with this but only partially, I think the better idea would be to give the shaken defenders a chance to rally like the special rule that currently exists for certain troops, supressing troops then engaging them up close is a valid tactic and shaken troops will put up little resistance. Just out of intetest I'm not sure they all surrender I'd say most would break no run...
'I also am not a fan of Shaken Units always surrendering.
I think this one rule is the reason that this game is Not taken seriously by the ASL crowd.
Think about it, I can have an excellent 'killer' hex of 3 crack infantry led by a lion, and if they get hit w/a big fire attack and shaken, - a lowly Tank Crew could waltz in and take them all prisoner.'

Wow this is a game changer most units even with a leader would have less than a 50/50 chance of passing a morale check to engage in melee, even battle harden paras with a morale of six and with a negative one leader only have just over a 50/50 chance rolling a seven on two dice.
'I recommend that prior to entering melee, a unit must pass an MC.'

Again a critical change to the game?
'I find the spotting rules annoying, and frequently 'forget' to Spot prior to firing. '

I've played ASL (and a I mean a lot in the past and still do occassionly as I have a mate who's owns it all and is a great fan of it) it's a totally different animal to LnLT :happy:...

Cheers!

Mark Drake

I allow Snipers to move once per scenario,with a movement factor equal to their range, 8.
No AM,will not enter into Melee but will defend normally in Melee.