Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Counter storage?

Ken Warren

How does everyone store all their counters? I've been using small ziploc bags, but I'd like to have them better organized. Especially now that I have multiple games and sometimes the counters are shared.

lonejedi

I've recently found myself in that same boat. I have nation-baggies right now, but you're definitely right about the complications that start to come up when you need to share units. I've been looking into plano storage boxes, but what I really need to do is count up just how many formations I really have. If the number is as large as I think, then that many plano boxes may get expensive. My next alternative would be mini-baggies for per-formation storage (with a well labeled strip of tape on each). Somewhere in between might be the mini-baggies in a non-compartmented plastic storage tub (one per nation).

Hmmmm... now I need to go home and give this a little more thought ;)

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
I use old-style counter trays, which make it kind od easier to find the units you are looking for.Unfortunately, they don't fit in older game boxes like Noville, Ring of Hills, FH1 and there was no boxes at all for some supplement like Anzac Attack Dark July, Not One Step Back, Swift and Bold. I'm hoping the new editons boxes will allow me to store the relevant counters with the games.

Ken Warren

Oh yeah, plano boxes. I'll probably look into those. Anything in particular one I should look for size wise?

I remember those old-style counter trays. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the anymore.

I think for now, I'll stick with a small ziploc bag for each formation. Instead of trying to stuff them in the appropriate game box, I may use a container specifically for all the counter bags.

I have found that Plano 3650N's work perfectly for WaW storage. I have attached some pictures to show you my set up with them. :)
First pic is of one of them buttoned up, the 2nd open. I made a simple table that tells me what unit/pieces are where and what expansion they came from. The chips I added myself to show who last passed through victory condition hexes so as to show ownership.

Currently I own everything boxed from WaW, the Compendium, and BwB/Counterattack and have all their contents in 10 of these boxes. IMG_3572.jpgIMG_3573.jpg

Ken Warren

Jonathan - thanks for the pics! I'll check out that model of Plano storage.

Thanks all! :) You pay for their good looks/organization though with being somewhat unwieldy though. However I discovered that all 10 boxes fit fine into a large fabric zippered lunch box if you took out the plastic support insert. The lid has a large zippered compartment as well, so in goes what ever maps I need and rulebooks. Has a shoulder strap and works great.

I also use it to transport my X-Wing Miniatures in their little blister packs. :D

Keith T

Jonathan, this is great looking storage solution. I was considering buying this GMT counter trays and would like to know from more experienced guys here are they any good? Any input is welcomed. :)

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-173-counter-trays-10.aspx

Regards

I can tell you the GMT trays are great and stack on top of each other. I use these mostly for my couters. Depending on the size of the box you are able to sometimes place them in the orginal box, other wise they have to remain on the outside of the box, i usally rubber band them to the box they belong too.

Keith T.

vsadek

Website
hr.linkedin.com
@Jonathan

Jonathan, I also like your way of tracking content with tables. I will implement the same method myself.

@Keith

Keith, thank you for your input. I am complete newcomer to boardgaming (and noob) who all of the sudden realized he needs some heavy-duty storage for overwhelming amount of counters. :)

Regards

Ralph Ferrari

Staff member
Thanks guys. Next time I get on to my laptop I will look for the excel file that has the templates for each of the 13 Planos, and post it here for your use, if you want to use them. I believe it has all the WaW content through AC, and I think it even has the templates for Sava Ts counters.

Ralph Ferrari

Staff member
Is there a way to post an excel file? I tried attaching the WaW and LnL Templates, but it doesn't allow an excel file to be uploaded.